Smoked Brie - not on a plank

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

moonlight
Pilgrim

Smoked Brie - not on a plank

Postby moonlight » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I’ve been looking around and there are a lot of recipes out there for cedar plank smoked brie, but I can’t find any discussing cooking it in an offset smoker. I am thinking that I’d just assume impart fruit wood smoke (apple if I can find the logs) on the cheese instead of cedar from a plank. Has anyone ever tried this? I might try a couple of methods next time I smoke something I’d normally cook with fruit wood. Method 1) use pre-baked frozen fillo tart shells and cut the brie into small pieces. Method 2) wrap small sized whole brie wheels in cheese cloth. For both I was thinking of putting raspberries in a pan on the smoker for 15 to 20 minutes to use in a sauce.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Re: Smoked Brie - not on a plank

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Hello Moonlight, I've never smoked cheese but there's a guy on here named David Brace who's an expert on smoked cheese.
see if he chimes in here, come on Mr. Brace where are ya?
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:01 pm

I’ve only used my traeger for cheese. I had to freeze it before placing it in or it would sink in through the grates. I’d love to learn from someone on doing it on my stick burner. My wife would love that.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Papa Tom knows quite a bit about cool smoking, send him a PM
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:00 pm

I have smoked a ton of cheese. Lately I cold smoke with an
A-Maze-N tube smoker (google is your friend).

I’ve also smoked a couple different ways with lump in my green egg but usually in the winter and with ice.

Tomorrow I’ll be smoking a bunch of cheddar. It is 90s in Corpus so I’ll be using ice again even though I’m cold smoking. I have a large CI frying pan full of water in the freezer. That the cheese will be above.

If you’re dough, you obviously want to cook the dough. I would get as far away from the heat as possible and basically bake the dough.

Here is some Brie with a pecan sauce on top.
Attachments
DE753764-8893-4C2B-94A1-D8D3F6FEBDDA.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:37 pm

With regard to the raspberries, you could put it in a CI or small aluminum pan, cover with the raspberries after removing the top find and put it on the put, pulling it when it just starts to get gooey but not melting.

Or

Remove top rind, place it in the dough, cover with the raspberries, wrap and then on the pit till the dough is baked. I would put a lot smoke on the dough.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
moonlight
Pilgrim

Postby moonlight » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks for the responses. I tried two versions last night. For the first, I used a medium sized brie wrapped in pie dough, putting a raspberry jam on top before I wrapped it up. Cooked it hot to replicate an oven at around 400* using peach wood. Came out great, though the smoke flavor didn’t penetrate the dough into the cheese. Still had some smoke flavor in the dough, though I’m not sure it made much of a difference vs. just cooking it in an oven. Took about 35 - 40 minutes.

For the second, I used pre-made fillo tart shells. Cut the brie into ½ inch cubes and put about 2 per shell. Put them in a pan and onto the smoker at around 300* (imagine lower would be better as it would take longer to melt and you’d get more smoke into the cheese). I put a couple cups of raspberries in a second aluminum pan and cooked them about 15 minutes until they softened. Added a couple tablespoons of sugar and one of cornstarch. Stirred and put it back on the pit for another 10 minutes. Then spooned the sauce onto the top of each tart. These came out great and I’d definitely do it again as a snack while smoking something else. Good smoke on both the cheese and the sauce.

Return to “General Discussion”