My Name Ain't ALICE

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: RE: Re: My Name Ain't ALICE

Postby rms827 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:05 am

woodenvisions wrote:
rms827 wrote:That's crazy.

Restaurants out here are doing stuff like that due to the $15 an hour crowd pushing that across the state. They can't afford servers, so they're converting to quick serve style pick up your own food and wifi ordering things at the table. Texas though??? Y'all are supposed to understand customer service better than that.
No state is safe from it unfortunately, the problem is Ideaology. I don't want to get political on here so ill keep it to the bottom of the scale but we can thank certain states for this idea. Over time it will start to spread everywhere. Sad part is,I moved from my home state for reasons like this. The wheels have been turning for this for a long time now, easily now for 15 years but now instead of disguising it, its full bore ahead and anyone in the way gets rolled...I'm all for paying people for thier skills and the job at hand, not a SET flat hourly min wage for everyone at 15$ an hour. That's unfair for the ones that work like dogs and barely make that much just to get by while others Skate by for doing life experience Entry Jobs.
The Food Industry will be the first area that will be hit, in turn customer service will suffer as well. As for Texans understanding the customer service, I'm positive they do. Its the ones with these ideas that don't care to understand it that's the problem.

Keep strong Texas, ur a stronghold that's needed and Everybody knows it.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more Wooden...

My biggest argument against raising those wages is simple personal experience. When I first started working ages ago, the minimum wage here was $2 and change. A month or so later it kicked up to $3.35 an hour. Know what also happened at that time? The Burger King I was working at bumped up the price of their Whopper combo meal to nearly the same price. EVERY time I see minimum wage go up, the same thing happens. A combo meal at almost every fast food and quick serve becomes almost the same price as the hourly rate. Think about it and I bet you all will see the same pattern. The minimum wage comes with built in inflation.

I'm all for people earning a living. It needs to come via career training and bettering themselves though (even if it's public or charity programs that provide said training). "Would you like fries with that" was never meant to be a job skill that supports a family.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:15 am

rms827 wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:
rms827 wrote:That's crazy.

Restaurants out here are doing stuff like that due to the $15 an hour crowd pushing that across the state. They can't afford servers, so they're converting to quick serve style pick up your own food and wifi ordering things at the table. Texas though??? Y'all are supposed to understand customer service better than that.
No state is safe from it unfortunately, the problem is Ideaology. I don't want to get political on here so ill keep it to the bottom of the scale but we can thank certain states for this idea. Over time it will start to spread everywhere. Sad part is,I moved from my home state for reasons like this. The wheels have been turning for this for a long time now, easily now for 15 years but now instead of disguising it, its full bore ahead and anyone in the way gets rolled...I'm all for paying people for thier skills and the job at hand, not a SET flat hourly min wage for everyone at 15$ an hour. That's unfair for the ones that work like dogs and barely make that much just to get by while others Skate by for doing life experience Entry Jobs.
The Food Industry will be the first area that will be hit, in turn customer service will suffer as well. As for Texans understanding the customer service, I'm positive they do. Its the ones with these ideas that don't care to understand it that's the problem.

Keep strong Texas, ur a stronghold that's needed and Everybody knows it.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more Wooden...

My biggest argument against raising those wages is simple personal experience. When I first started working ages ago, the minimum wage here was $2 and change. A month or so later it kicked up to $3.35 an hour. Know what also happened at that time? The Burger King I was working at bumped up the price of their Whopper combo meal to nearly the same price. EVERY time I see minimum wage go up, the same thing happens. A combo meal at almost every fast food and quick serve becomes almost the same price as the hourly rate. Think about it and I bet you all will see the same pattern. The minimum wage comes with built in inflation.

I'm all for people earning a living. It needs to come via career training and bettering themselves though (even if it's public or charity programs that provide said training). "Would you like fries with that" was never meant to be a job skill that supports a family.

You know it.

At one point, I might have thought the 'wait on yourself' deal was merely a cute gimmicky thing. Now, not so sure....

I did like what was on the menu, though.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:59 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:I did like what was on the menu, though.

that was the hadest part of walking out - - - - I had been browsing and drooling over that menu for over a week :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: My Name Ain't ALICE

Postby rms827 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:33 am

The bad part is they weren't even smart enough to handle it the right way, OUP.

The places out here like Applebee's that have the wifi ordering units still have an option to call over a server if you have questions or a special request (ie no tomatoes on the burger). This place seems to have taken customer nonservice to a California DMV level, lol.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: My Name Ain't ALICE

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 am

I don't WiFi my Grub either - - - if I did then I'd lose my Old Fogie Membership Card :x
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”