Curing Pastrami Brisket question

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mike101
Pilgrim

Curing Pastrami Brisket question

Postby mike101 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Sorry in advanced is this is answered somewhere else in this forum. This is the second time I am making a pastrami. I took a fun BBQ class awhile ago and we cooked brisket and much more... but during the class the instructor said there is no need to put the meat your curing or brining in the refrigerator for two reasons. 1st, if your curing the meat the curing salt and salts will greatly reduce or stop bacteria growth. 2nd you'll be bringing the internal temp of your meat close to 200 and will kill whatever bacteria may have grown. This time i cured the meat in a covered container in basement / garage (not in refrigerator). When I pulled it up to prep, there was some surface mold on top of cure. The meat itself looks and smells fine. Has anyone else cured their meats outside a refrigerator or is this crazy talk?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Curing Pastrami Brisket question

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:12 am

Hey Mike, here is a link with some of our most knowledgeable Members contributions on Smoking Corned Beef - - - Good Luck :tup:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10303&p=99388&hilit=curing+pastrami+brisket#p99388 :cheers:

If you don't find what you need here at this link just holler - - - there's more :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 am

mike101 wrote:Sorry in advanced is this is answered somewhere else in this forum. This is the second time I am making a pastrami. I took a fun BBQ class awhile ago and we cooked brisket and much more... but during the class the instructor said there is no need to put the meat your curing or brining in the refrigerator for two reasons. 1st, if your curing the meat the curing salt and salts will greatly reduce or stop bacteria growth. 2nd you'll be bringing the internal temp of your meat close to 200 and will kill whatever bacteria may have grown. This time i cured the meat in a covered container in basement / garage (not in refrigerator). When I pulled it up to prep, there was some surface mold on top of cure. The meat itself looks and smells fine. Has anyone else cured their meats outside a refrigerator or is this crazy talk?

It may work but I would not take the chance.
Meat does cure better/more quickly in the low 40°F which is above the usual 38° of a fridge but nasty microbials also multiply readily above 40°.
I take the path of fewer pathogens and use the fridge for enough time to cure the meat.
There are many things that ferment safely @ room temperature like sauerkraut or beer and wine but those prevent microbial growth by lowering Ph (sauerkraut) or producing alcohol (beer and wine).
Some sausages and cured meats (hams and prosciutto) are cured in warmer temperatures but they rely on heavy salt and low moisture.

Next bringing the meat to 200°F will in fact kill microbial life but it WILL NOT affect the toxins already produced by said microbials.
tarde venientibus ossa....
mike101
Pilgrim

Postby mike101 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:11 am

Well lets hope for the best. Pastrami Brisket came out this morning. internal temp was 204 when i pulled out, it's sitting wrapped up in a cooler now. I should have pulled the shelves in the downstairs fridge and put it in while curing but a little late now. Now a little concerned if we should eat or ditch...

Return to “General Discussion”