R.I.P. Bandit

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

R.I.P. Bandit

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Burt Reynolds dead at 82 from Heart Attack
Thanks for the laughs. :tup: :salut:
Bandit.jpg
Bandit.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: R.I.P. Bandit

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:19 pm

He was a classic. Let’s not forget “The Fastest Chicken in the South” :)

You will be missed Burt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:30 pm

one of my favorite lines from smokey and the Bandit:
"Well who gives a turkey when the Snowman and the Bandit are runnin the booze?"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm

"I take my hat off for one thing, one thing only"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:55 pm

10-4 Good Buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Will be missed. Loved his films and his exs lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 pm

He made it to 82. That's a pretty decent lifespan. :D He will definitely be missed though.

Somewhere in the digital mess that is my photo collection from the trip to Nashville last year, I have a picture of the firechchicken from Smokey and the Bandit 2. It was in the Country Music Hall of Fame (partly due to Jerry Reid finally getting in)
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:23 pm

They just had this on the news here, showed his work from footballer to the end. One of his quotes was " I had a great time"

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:09 pm

rms827 wrote:He made it to 82. That's a pretty decent lifespan. :D He will definitely be missed though.

Somewhere in the digital mess that is my photo collection from the trip to Nashville last year, I have a picture of the firechchicken from Smokey and the Bandit 2. It was in the Country Music Hall of Fame (partly due to Jerry Reid finally getting in)
Ut oh...I have to chime in lolol.....
From a diehard GM guy, I have to acknowledge the words Trans Am am after Fire Chicken :):):)

Haha, I knew what u meant rms, it just reminded me of the old Firebird/Trans Am debate from the 80's. Some even threw the Camaros in that group which I've had 3 of the Gen 3's.

One was a stock Mint 86 Berlinetta that was slower than my neighbors Jazzy Scooter.
The second was an 89 RS we bought when it was 2 years old with 118,000 miles on it.
Had the car 13 years and sold it with 296,000, 305 TBI.
Great car
Then from the same guy, I bought an 87 Iroc Z 305 but TPI with 50,000 miles.
Now, that car scooted real nice :)

Then I went all out and bought an 88 Trans Am, but it was the GTA version with the 350 Corvette motor and WS6 suspension package. That car was a handful, but fun..

Every time I'd get fuel at this one Chevron station, the attendant would always say...How much we puttin in this Fire Chicken ??? Lol, he did it for years just to get me fired up lol.

Its crazy cuz the first Smokey and The Bandit movie has always been my favorite movie EVER since I was a kid right up til now. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna watch it tonight in honor of Mr Reynolds !!

What's also nuts is that car back in the day had a a few different motor options.
In the movie, they portrayed it to have the 6.6 400 co motor. What's soo funny is that car ( stock ) had only 200 hp and could Never roast those tires like the good old movies here.
My brother that passed bought a 1976 ( round headlights ) 6.6 litre Trans Am right before he enlisted in the Navy in 1977/78 and that's what made me fall in love with the movie.
The car was pretty fast mid to highs, but off the line it was a pig.

Rumor has it, they used the Super Duty Trans Am motor which was thier 455 workhorse to do those burnouts in the movie.

I find it fascinating that back in the day they produced a 6.6 litre, 400 ci that produced only 200 hp and in this day, im driving a 2.0 litre with 275 hp from the factory.. Oh yeah, and getting 35 mpg :):)

Technology Technology...

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Don't want to derail the thread too much, Wooden. I'm sure Burt would approve us talkin' about the cars that helped make him famous though. :D

That said. it was smog control being rolled out that accounted for that lack of horsepower. From 67 to as late as 80, muscle cars in particular took it on the chin. It's what lead to the near demise of Dodge.

Camaros and Firebirds definitely had a ton of powertrain options. Most folks don't know it, but the "Trans Am" badge could go on anything that won the Trans America race. AMC had a Trans AM version of the Javelin.

Smoking the tires... I'm a cynical ex-mechanic there. All that means to me is that you can't put all that power to the ground, lol. Bad tires in particular are easy to smoke. They probably did use the big block version for those tire smokes though.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:10 am

I liked his personality, but had no idea he was that 'up' in age....RIP, Sir.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:31 am

I was recently reminded that Helen Gurley Brown’s Cosmopolitan magazine totally changed his Career :scratch:
Now I know why I never became famous :laughing7: :roll: :dont: :oops:

Return to “General Discussion”