Went to Reno and...

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Went to Reno and...

Postby rms827 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:57 am

Saw a balloon or two:

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: Went to Reno and...

Postby rms827 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 am

And a couple more, still trying to get off the ground when I snapped the pics:

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

And one of the "dawn patrol" that launches early at 5:30am. They look really cool when they hit the gas burner. It lights up the whole balloon.

IMG_1596.JPG

All in all, there was almost as much hot air as OUP puts out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Random side notes:

On the way up to Reno, you pass thru Donner Pass where the Donner Party got stuck trying to come to gold rush era California and ate it's dead to survive:

IMG_1572.JPG

Nowadays the town of Truckee is there and there's a few ski resorts a stone's throw away.

Here's a picture of coming up on Reno. It's all high desert up there:

IMG_1581.JPG

Also, for those of you who may have wondered about Trump's remarks about California's poor forest management... The underbrush is BADLY overgrown everywhere:

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

That's everywhere from 20 miles outside of Sacramento to so far up nothing much grows anymore. Environmental extremists sue every time there's talk of clearing some of the underbrush and then blame global warming and climate change for the severity of the fires here. :banghead:

That intended not so much as a pro or anti Trump comment as visual proof of how broken the media and system here is. The other half of Trump''s comment about "diverting" water to the Pacific was comical. Rivers run to the ocean. Even with the asinine amount of water we send to Southern Ca, there's still enough water to get by up here.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Went to Reno and...

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:49 am

Beautiful Pic and thanks for Sharing -- - - I like my steaks Rare but I would not have made a good "Donnerite" :whiteflag:
Speaking of Hot Air, ?hey RMS, wha'sup? - - - I've been to the one in Albuquerque and got a crick in my neck. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”