2018 Deer Hunting Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Txdragon
Deputy

Re: 2018 Deer Hunting Thread

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:21 pm

I haven't hunted yet this season and probably won't. Next year though, THAT'S another story! I've seen only a small handful of 4 and 6 pointers but, the smallest of them would have easily dressed out at 130+. Lost count of all the doe I've seen and there's a bunch of little ones running around with a few spots left. Lots of activity. Gonna scout through the year and see if I find the big fella. I am wondering though how I should handle the "smaller" bucks. Should I wait for signs of a more dominant buck in the area before culling the smaller ones, or could the younger ones be running the show?
(Insert witty signature here)
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Well Dragon they have to have a 13 1/2” spread or be spike or 3 pt
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 am

Txdragon wrote:I haven't hunted yet this season and probably won't. Next year though, THAT'S another story! I've seen only a small handful of 4 and 6 pointers but, the smallest of them would have easily dressed out at 130+. Lost count of all the doe I've seen and there's a bunch of little ones running around with a few spots left. Lots of activity. Gonna scout through the year and see if I find the big fella. I am wondering though how I should handle the "smaller" bucks. Should I wait for signs of a more dominant buck in the area before culling the smaller ones, or could the younger ones be running the show?

During my first decade of Hunting, I hunted HORNS but as time went on and I learned to field dress and process them easier and my love for the taste of Venison grew and grew. Then I became a Meat Hunter and was putting 5 deer in my freezer every season and as happy as if I had a wall full of Trophies. I don't hunt anymore because I lost the passion and desire to harvest and process. NOW, after saying all of that, the best way to increase your opportunity to bag a big buck is patience and quietly sitting before you can see to shoot and then in the evenings sit until you can not see to shoot. If the deer won't move then you may have to walk hunt but your presence there must seem non-existant. Young bucks and does don't seem to feel the hunting pressure as the wiley old "mossbacks" do and therefore are not as Nocturnal and they range much broader. If you can catch a good Rut going the the BIg Bucks can be harvested easier because of smelling and following a hot doe scent. Not a Pro but I have spent lots of time doing the above.

"No matter how long you boil them, you can't eat the Antlers" :P :laughing7: :dont:

P.S. as deer begin to walk out to a certain plot or feeder, most of the time the wise buck will wait back in the bushes and watch them to make sure that everything is OK. One more reason for patience and not shooting early.
OUP

Beekeeper: Let's do saddle up and go learn that gentleman his manners
Davy Crockett: We won't have to. He's wearing out horses coming towards us
Beekeeper: Guess we can't stop him from coming. But I reckon we can arrange for him to limp going back
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:37 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
During my first decade of Hunting, I hunted HORNS but as time went on and I learned to field dress and process them easier and my love for the taste of Venison grew and grew. Then I became a Meat Hunter and was putting 5 deer in my freezer every season and as happy as if I had a wall full of Trophies. I don't hunt anymore because I lost the passion and desire to harvest and process. NOW, after saying all of that, the best way to increase your opportunity to bag a big buck is patience and quietly sitting before you can see to shoot and then in the evenings sit until you can not see to shoot. If the deer won't move then you may have to walk hunt but your presence there must seem non-existant. Young bucks and does don't seem to feel the hunting pressure as the wiley old "mossbacks" do and therefore are not as Nocturnal and they range much broader. If you can catch a good Rut going the the BIg Bucks can be harvested easier because of smelling and following a hot doe scent. Not a Pro but I have spent lots of time doing the above.

"No matter how long you boil them, you can't eat the Antlers" :P :laughing7: :dont:

P.S. as deer begin to walk out to a certain plot or feeder, most of the time the wise buck will wait back in the bushes and watch them to make sure that everything is OK. One more reason for patience and not shooting early.

Good info! I'll hunt either or. I'm not bigger into trophies than I am on filling the freezer. I will need time to see what's out here and try not to overdo it in my area. I'm not the only hunter in a couple mile radius as I have heard many shots over the last couple weeks. So whatever is closer to me, I'd like to try and keep a balance.
(Insert witty signature here)
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am

Just a bump on this: are there no other Hunters, Proud Grandpa's, Daddy's out there. I am in Texas, right?

Return to “General Discussion”