Anyone smoking a turkey?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Anyone smoking a turkey?

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:20 pm

With Turkey day right around the corner was wondering if anyone wanted to share how they prep their turkey for the smoker.

Brine

Dry rub

Stuffed or not?

Etc

Last year we did an overnight brine but I was a lot of work not looking to do that again.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Anyone smoking a turkey?

Postby Rambo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 pm

As we’ve got older we buy the smoked breast. I inject them Tony’s Butter marinade and warm in oven using a foil tent. The whole bird is beautiful but so much mess and none of our bunch likes the dark meat
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:50 pm

If I WAS going to smoke a whole, fresh, turkey I would certainly brine
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:15 am

The only way I ever do a whole turkey is with the beer can process - - - - it will provide you garoonteed moisture and flavor - - - I also inject my Birds with Tony's Butter Injection before Smoking over the beer can. In addition to all of this I dust him down good with a good Suckle Busters Rub like Hootchie Mama or many of the other good ones. - - - Good Luck and let us know about your final cook if you will ? :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am

I’m not in charge of the bird this year as we are visiting family. BUT I have smoked some good birds using Aaron Franklin’s YouTube video as a guide. I did a simple brine overnight.

TIP - to keep cleanup easy buy you a couple of brine bags from Bed Bath & Beyond. Just toss them liquid and all when you finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:46 am

I have done several birds and I use Franklin's method as a guide as well. Pretty easy. Brine, inject, smoke for a few hours, put butter on it, cover with foil and done. Tastes really awesome. This year I am just smoking an organic turkey breast and frying a turkey. Should be finger lickin good. Good luck.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am

Brining tomorrow morning and smoking on the traeger tomorrow night - using the copycat q recipe, should be good :)
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:31 pm

I often wonder if it would be best to cook it as hot as I could to crisp up the skin then drop temp down to smoke it. The last one I did was in a traeger and the skin and smoke was rubbery and smoke flavor was weak. It was the reason why I went to the stick burner route for everything now.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Got lucky this go round, only doing one turkey. Brine it, inject it, put the beer can where the sun don't shine and smoke in the vertical with pecan.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:31 pm

GTR wrote:Got lucky this go round, only doing one turkey. Brine it, inject it, put the beer can where the sun don't shine and smoke in the vertical with pecan.

when eating above said turkey be sure you chew over your plate and preferably tie a napkin around your neck shielding your chest and tummy - - - -and FWIW one in your lap would not hurt a thing either
:bow: :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:50 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
GTR wrote:Got lucky this go round, only doing one turkey. Brine it, inject it, put the beer can where the sun don't shine and smoke in the vertical with pecan.

when eating above said turkey be sure you chew over your plate and preferably tie a napkin around your neck shielding your chest and tummy - - - -and FWIW one in your lap would not hurt a thing either
:bow: :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas:

Good advice, I plan on doing some major damage to at least one thigh. :thap:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
bbqqueens USER_AVATAR
bbqqueens
Pilgrim

Postby bbqqueens » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 am

My experience in smoking a turkey here:

**content removed as it was in violation of code 22.1 subsection 34a-41.. Basically, you linked info to an outside website. Stop doing that..**
bluehank1973
Pilgrim

Postby bluehank1973 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 am

I am attempting to brine, then smoke a 24 pound turkey for Thanksgiving (24# is the frozen weight, pre-removal of internals). Does anyone have any recommendations, suggestions, instructions for doing so? I have a few brining recipes including, brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic, etc. I would like to hear your expert opinions.

I have quite a bit of experience in smoking tri-tips, salmon, etc. But nothing on this scale. The bird is thawing in the fridge since Saturday.
marvda1
Wrangler

Postby marvda1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 pm

i'm lazy :lol: bought a Greenberg turkey out of tyler. :chef:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:40 am

bluehank1973 wrote:I am attempting to brine, then smoke a 24 pound turkey for Thanksgiving (24# is the frozen weight, pre-removal of internals). Does anyone have any recommendations, suggestions, instructions for doing so? I have a few brining recipes including, brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic, etc. I would like to hear your expert opinions.

I have quite a bit of experience in smoking tri-tips, salmon, etc. But nothing on this scale. The bird is thawing in the fridge since Saturday.

For an easy to follow tutorial look up the Aaron Franklin YouTube videos. It’s a good way to get your feet wet with turkeys. You can adapt and change as you get more experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”