Restocking the freezers!

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Restocking the freezers!

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:38 pm

I realize I didn't get a shot of the side and loin together. Dangit. The Dos Equis was going down too well! Pictured here is the loin trimmed from the side, with the baby backs still attached. I trimmed the vertebrae from them with the trusty hacksaw and all I really had to do was a simple knife sweep to remove the ribs. I figured I'd just make a bone in loin roast.
20181223_151040.jpg

Look at the little spares!! How cuuuute!!! These were actually WAY over trimmed (by any pro standards).
20181223_150547.jpg

Last was the hind leg. I kept it whole (except the trotter). These I usually break down before curing for ham. I'll put that pic in here later on for that.
20181223_151337.jpg

Seems quick, but being I had 2 to work with and by myself at that.. This was actually a 2 day chore. I ended up using about 30 feet of vacuseal roll and about 10ft of plastic wrap for the larger hams. I kept the loins whole so I could cook them as is or just simply cut some chops. I pre-seasoned one with some Hog Waller Honey then vacusealed. Since I was not able to scald, I was unable to harvest any bacon; lost too much side meat to skinning.. :(
(Insert witty signature here)
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Look at those ribs! Going to be some good BBQ plates in the near future.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:32 pm

limey wrote:Look at those ribs! Going to be some good BBQ plates in the near future.

For sure! Have already made some excellent Adobo marinated shoulder tacos and some enchiladas. We had some Mexican food for Christmas dinner and of course, all homemade!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:30 am

Thanks for sharing that, Chef Sir, definitely ain't your first Rodeo. Can't wait to see what you do with that bone in thigh :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Thanks for sharing that, Chef Sir, definitely ain't your first Rodeo. Can't wait to see what you do with that bone in thigh :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:

I have 4 hams in my future, one of which is getting a 90 day cure.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:08 am

Txdragon wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Thanks for sharing that, Chef Sir, definitely ain't your first Rodeo. Can't wait to see what you do with that bone in thigh :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:

WOW, can't wait to see that beauty :tup: - - - you stressing any particular flavor in your cure :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
Txdragon wrote:

WOW, can't wait to see that beauty :tup: - - - you stressing any particular flavor in your cure :?:

I would like to do a standard country ham. Then.. Once the hams are made, I'm doing a maple pecan glaze, honey, cajun, and no glaze- dry cured and aged.

Return to “General Discussion”