HEB BRISKET SALE!

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

HEB BRISKET SALE!

Postby Michael0506 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:09 am

I picked up 2, 12 lb briskets today at $1.96-lb! Was going to get their Prime they had them at $2.99 but opted for 2 vs getting 1 prime for around same price!

I still cant figure out what cuts they sell, would this one I got be the choice/packer!

I know they have the Angus then Prime, but still can't figure their line up of types!

Are the packers I got good for low n slow smoking! I bout a 16 lb prime 2 weeks ago and smoked 16 hours and was awesome!

Thanks for input!

IMG_0505.jpg
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Re: HEB BRISKET SALE!

Postby Michael0506 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:28 am

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:51 am

:wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 am

:cheers:
OldUsedParts wrote::wav:
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 am

Good score, That’s everyday price on briskets at HEB down here in SA
And I thought that was high :roll:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:54 am

Michael,

thanks for posting. those are Packer trimmed Briskets and yes they are great for " Low and slow" cooking. there's a new wave now called " hot & fast" and they cook there's in about half the time compared to us old timers. if you're interested in that find SwampDonkey and send him a PM. If I was preparing those packers I would trim the fat cap to about 1/4" and also cut the hard fat out in the V between the Flat and the point. The key word there is " me". I'm sure some people raised an eyebrow just then concerning my trimming practices. You'll need to take advice and then practice to draw your own conclusions. I have an old stick burner and cook my briskets fat side down. many, many people think it should be fat cap up. The point I'm trying to get to you is do your own thing and practice. things to remember: you can always add salt & pepper but you can't take it off; Sugar/Brown Sugar, will burn at about 265 degrees( I think). There is a lot of difference, to ME, between a nice bark and some burnt black sugar crud.

Practice, practice, practice. Good Luck
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 am

^^^ good info there^^^^
good score on the brisket, I have the wife on constant alert to watch for brisket, ribs, and pork butt sale prices, some times she scores & most times we dont. HEB does have different prices for different stores, as info provided from an insider that works for them. So if you have multiple stores you can shop the prices if you have the time :roll:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:50 am

What Rambeaux said. I’m a hot and fast convert. Turbeaux brisket at about 325. Turbeaux butts as well.

HEB should be ashamed of themselves - I’m sending a letter to my congressman. We have a rope real handy and on standby for anyone who follows the directions on the label. :mrgreen:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:19 am

Wish I could order. We pay 15-17 USD per lbs of brisket. That is grass fed Angus though.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:08 pm

"I still cant figure out what cuts they sell, would this one I got be the choice/packer!

I know they have the Angus then Prime, but still can't figure their line up of types!"

The Angus is nothing more than a breed. Their meat however, provided their pure-bred, will generally grade choice - prime.
There are 8 grades
Prime Grade
Less than two percent of all meat in the United States is graded “Prime.” Viewed as the highest quality grade, prime beef is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. Prime beef is known for its abundant marbling, as 11% (or more) of the cut is from intramuscular fat.
The only time(s) you’ll cut into a prime cut of beef is either at a steakhouse or an upscale hotel. You will rarely (if ever) find prime beef at your local supermarket — although they can be found at a few chains.
Choice Grade
One step down from prime is “Choice” grade. USDA Choice is still considered a high-quality grade; it just has less marbling than prime (only 9.5-11% intramuscular fat). A tender cut of meat, like a ribeye or filet mignon, will still be very tender and juicy (honestly, you probably won’t notice the difference from prime). A less tender cut could dry out, so it’s best to use a meat thermometer while cooking.
Select Grade
“Select” grade is considered of lesser quality than choice or prime, but still higher than the average steak you’ll find at the supermarket. Select beef has less marbling than either choice or prime, making it a leaner cut of meat. It’s still reasonably tender, but since it contains less fat, it might lack some of the juiciness found in the two higher grades.
Standard and Commercial Grades
“Standard” and “Commercial” are the two grades you’ll typically find at the meat counter as “store brand” meat. As you probably guessed, it contains less marbling than the three higher grades, thereby lacking some of the juiciness and flavor. Many times, these grades will be packaged as “store grades” or “un-graded” at the grocery store.
Utility, Cutter, and Canner Grades
You won’t find filet mignon labeled as utility, cutter, or canner. These three, lower grades are reserved mainly for ground beef and processed products. You won’t find a cut of steak with any of these three grades.

I'm going to guess your brisket is Select given the $ difference to Prime. Plus if it were Choice it would be marked as such to command higher $'s.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Usually, on the HEB packers, you can flip them over and the other side will tell you the grade and what meat packer provided it.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 pm

I have bought prime briskets at HEB and I buy “Prime One” steaks at HEB. There’s a meat market bout a mile from our house that has select, choice, prime, and wagyu briskets.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:10 am

Rambo wrote:Michael,

thanks for posting. those are Packer trimmed Briskets and yes they are great for " Low and slow" cooking. there's a new wave now called " hot & fast" and they cook there's in about half the time compared to us old timers. if you're interested in that find SwampDonkey and send him a PM. If I was preparing those packers I would trim the fat cap to about 1/4" and also cut the hard fat out in the V between the Flat and the point. The key word there is " me". I'm sure some people raised an eyebrow just then concerning my trimming practices. You'll need to take advice and then practice to draw your own conclusions. I have an old stick burner and cook my briskets fat side down. many, many people think it should be fat cap up. The point I'm trying to get to you is do your own thing and practice. things to remember: you can always add salt & pepper but you can't take it off; Sugar/Brown Sugar, will burn at about 265 degrees( I think). There is a lot of difference, to ME, between a nice bark and some burnt black sugar crud.

Practice, practice, practice. Good Luck

Thanks a lot for the great info brother!

You are so right about the salt and pepper, best bark and natural flavor of the meat! I will always stick to low and slow being I'm ole school I guess! I trim the same way you described and am happy!

I will cook the 2 briskets this week but I am wanting to try one making burnt ends! I here mention of taking the point and flat and separating them for the cook, is that right! I want to do it right the first time and somehow for the burnt ends, I'm thinking brown sugar and maybe honey but don't know what else mat be needed!

Also I replied to your PM and will PM this as well!

Thanks again!
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:13 am

Thank you all for the response!

Return to “General Discussion”