Fresh Hickory

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Fresh Hickory

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:46 pm

My Grandson is in the Logging business and he said yesterday the Skidder Operator pulled up a nice slick bark Hickory log. As soon as he saw it he thought of me. Once they loaded what they wanted on the truck he went to work on the scraps for me. he cut it 12" long and split it. Of course, he's gonna get something good out of it :lol:

I'll have to let that season a while; I've got it under an Eve on the Big Barn. The other wood is seasoned, Post Oak, Split Red Oak, and dry Hickory logs I don't split until the day of the cook.
Attachments
IMG_1826[6863].JPG
IMG_1825[6856].JPG
maw
Wrangler

Re: Fresh Hickory

Postby maw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Rambo, define ‘’a while’’ I’m curious on the timeframe. Thanks!!!!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 pm

maw wrote:Rambo, define ‘’a while’’ I’m curious on the timeframe. Thanks!!!!

Not being a Smartars but whenever it dries: probably 3-4 months. Smoking with green wood is No Bueno
maw
Wrangler

Postby maw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Yes. I know 20% or less moisture is good for seasoned wood. I just wasn’t sure about that particular wood and the timeframe to season.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:02 pm

Awesome score!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:48 am

Congrats :tup: that should be "prime" after Spring has Sprung :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Congrats :tup: that should be "prime" after Spring has Sprung :salut: :cheers:

Yes Sir. The Post Oak in the middle, then split red Oak, and the round Hickory logs on the left are from last year but I have to use a wedge and a sledgehammer on that Hickory; it's harder than a Preacher's Pulpit
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:36 am

Back When????? I would split wood for our Earth Stove/Wood Heater from Oak gathered on the south 8 acres and I bought a splitting maul which was like a very wide axe and "except for the swinging part" it really did a great job. Every now and then my sons would haul up some unidentified wood and I remember ?trying? to split some and I swear "Sparks flew from the impact" :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:55 am

Yes Sir, I have a 6 Lb maul but it's can't crack that dry Hickory. Sledgehammer and a wedge or a hydraulic splitter is the only way. Red Oak, Pin Oak, split good. Live oak, Post Oak, not so good.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:58 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Back When????? I would split wood for our Earth Stove/Wood Heater from Oak gathered on the south 8 acres and I bought a splitting maul which was like a very wide axe and "except for the swinging part" it really did a great job. Every now and then my sons would haul up some unidentified wood and I remember ?trying? to split some and I swear "Sparks flew from the impact" :laughing7: :lol: :D

Earth stove...
they had the air intake thermostat.
A couple of us became a dealer for those in Brownwood, about broke our backs a few times, seems we only had to sell three to be a dealer, back in the day... sure glad I am older and much smarter these days...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:20 pm

The one we had was a beast also but the most efficient wood heater that I have ever been around. I bought a pie/bread warmer attachment that set on top and have even baked in it but the trouble was not worth the results. :dont: It had 3 different doors that you could use on it also. There was a grated door that allowed the heat to come into the room where it sat, a glass door for ambience :roll: :laughing7: and a heavily insulated door that could be closed tight when going to bed. The insulated door was known to keep the entire house warm all night long with 40 to 60 temps outside. Of course we had insulated that house so efficiently that you could slam one door and the vacum would close almost every door in the house :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :dont:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Earth stove... piqued my interest, what was that? Any photos? I am thinking ahead to retirement and wondering if I can make it practical to live off the land and off the grid as much as possible without paying ridiculous prices to manage it.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Boots wrote:Earth stove... piqued my interest, what was that? Any photos? I am thinking ahead to retirement and wondering if I can make it practical to live off the land and off the grid as much as possible without paying ridiculous prices to manage it.

Boots, I would highly recommend the one that we had - - - built like a Sherman Tank and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I had mine in the LR which had a vaulted ceiling that required the smoke stack to be 20 feet long and never had any problems with it. Here is what ours looked like.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+bu ... yDOdlHdhYM:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:08 pm

I tried to look them up a while back, best I could tell they were gone... out of business, they were good stoves and fireplace inserts.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “General Discussion”