Texas History Lunch mini-trip with Wife

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Texas History Lunch mini-trip with Wife

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 pm

I've had the Siege of the Alamo on my mind a lot today and even tho General Sam Houston was not at the Alamo, Travis and Co. were buying him precious time to assemble an Army. Therefore, Sherry and I decided to go to the Farmhouse Cafe in Huntsville to eat. It is probably our favorite eating place and, if lived closer, we'd be in trouble.

Stopped and :salut: :texas: General Sam on the way along with driving by his old Steamboat House and Tribute Park.
IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

This is a TEXAS LOVE SEAT
IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

The food at the Farmhouse is down home to say the least and today I pigged out on the best Shrimp en Brouchette, Fried Green Maters, Fried Okra, Cole Slaw, Jalapeno Cornbread, Homemade Wheat and Yeast Rolls, Coconut Pie and Peanut Butter Pie in this part of The Lone Star State. :texas: Sherry's plate (not shown) was Chicken Fried steak, Cream Gravy, Corn and Green Beans.
IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Texas History Lunch mini-trip with Wife

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:06 pm

One cannot fully appreciate how massive that statue is until you see it for yourself.

That lunch looks killer!

Thanks for sharing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks for the history lesson, it's added to my memory bank of trivia I have stored away. It might come up on a trivia night?? I'm reasonably good at random questions,lol.

Thanks parts, nice pics too.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:48 pm

bsooner75 wrote:One cannot fully appreciate how massive that statue is until you see it for yourself.

That lunch looks killer!

Thanks for sharing this!

Yes Sir, David Adickes did that Statue/Sculpture and oddly enough he was born and schooled in Huntsville, Texas. He has a Studio in Houston that is something to see if you ever have the chance.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/dav ... re-gallery
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:17 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:13 am

EMM do they still say the Indians call him the "big drunk" that is what they said when we lived there and went through all that.... just curious?
farm house was a good one at the time, looks like they are still good,
I used to frequent place with the razor wire around it, closer to Hville from the statue, the Goree unit, I never wore white, sure glad that those days are behind me, now working with the black and white cars....
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm

spacetrucker wrote:EMM do they still say the Indians call him the "big drunk" that is what they said when we lived there and went through all that.... just curious?
farm house was a good one at the time, looks like they are still good,
I used to frequent place with the razor wire around it, closer to Hville from the statue, the Goree unit, I never wore white, sure glad that those days are behind me, now working with the black and white cars....

I haven't heard anyone use that "Title" in years.
Farmhouse has NEVER disappointed us and it's our favorite. Their Catfish is local I think?

"Goree Unit" - - - LMAO - - - we were headed to the deer lease one night up I-45 and needed some camp meat. There happened to be a small Doe eating that good forage between the Hwy and the Razor Wire and I dropped her, chunked her in the bed of the truck and then when we got to the lease the guys were griping about not seeing ANY deer. So we jumped in the PU and told them we'd be right back - - - drove away from the camp, fired a shot in the air and came back to show our rewards. Before we left, we had made a bet that we'd bring back camp meat but didn't tell them where it came from. :P :roll: :laughing7:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm

that a good one :mrgreen:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis