2019 Garden Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

2019 Garden Thread

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:35 am

Well, it's that time again. We had a great thread last year with lots of pictures so maybe this year's will be good too. My target date to plant here in East Texas is going to be April 4-6 for above ground plants. As I get older my garden gets smaller, lol. This year I'm planting 6 Homestead Tomatoes, 6 Jalapeños, 6 Cayenne, 6 Bell Pepper, 6 Crookneck Yellow squash, 6 cucumbers and one Cherry(grape) tomato. The reason for all the 6's is that they come in a little 6 pack at the nursery.

Looking forward to some bountiful Harvest this year. Good Gardening Luck to all :cheers:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: 2019 Garden Thread

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:00 am

Rambo - what’s your planter setup? We’ve done a couple of small cheap plastic planter boxes the last couple years with the kids. Jalapeño, cherry tomatoes and bells. Wife and I have discussed going a little larger so just looking for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:16 am

I'm sure Rambo will be giving you some good advice and tips but until then here's my experience from the past. :salut:

It's been a few years since I've messed with any type of gardening but I found that using "cheap" cedar fence boards nailed together to form a square two boards high made really nice raised beds. Of course you have to bring in good soil to fill them but you'd be surprised how much you can raise in a couple of those 6' by 6' - 12" tall raised beds.

Good Luck and looking forward to Rambo's updates during growing seasons :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 am

Sooner, I’ve always done mine in the ground and I would think you need something at least 24” Deep for the root systems. Now, you can use trellises to climb cucumbers and some bean varieties that would maximize space
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:32 am

I'm growing onion and celery stubs in a windowsill... :?

But seriously, folks! :laughing7: We have grown in containers here for a couple of years. It will likely consist of a couple of pepper plants like Cubanelle and Poblano, and some maters, (hope we can get a black variety) and beans. It's still c-c-c-cold out.
Moink!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks y’all - I’ll talk to the planning department and see what she has in mind. There is a section of yard we talked about turning into a real garden but seeing that I’m still in physical therapy and building my strength up we might wait a year on this one.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 am

bsooner75 wrote:Thanks y’all - I’ll talk to the planning department and see what she has in mind. There is a section of yard we talked about turning into a real garden but seeing that I’m still in physical therapy and building my strength up we might wait a year on this one.

That's probably your best bet if you can get proper sun exposure. Be sure and get your Wife one of those small Tillers for they are well worth it. :tup: :salut: :rose:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:43 am

Sooner, don’t forget to get her a couple of shovels and some nice leather gloves. Tan or white, either one will work.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am

GRailsback wrote:Sooner, don’t forget to get her a couple of shovels and some nice leather gloves. Tan or white, either one will work.

Lmao; Sooner, this is a Well disquised trick
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:24 am

Rambo wrote:
GRailsback wrote:Sooner, don’t forget to get her a couple of shovels and some nice leather gloves. Tan or white, either one will work.

Those doeskin gloves are great, my wife loves 'em.

For us this year, the wife put in potatoes already, and there will be tomatoes, peppers, some of that green sea-sponge squash she likes, and hopefully cucumbers in the raised bed boxes I built her last year. By the way, my Grandfather used to say, "Squash is what you serve yer relations when you want them to leave and go home). I don't classify crooknecks that way, but as for those green tubular loofah squash, yes, they are not food.

AND THIS YEAR BOOTS IS GOING TO PLANT HIS OWN CORN (the crowd roars). We have a little bottom land behind the house against the creek, including one area that stays dry where I have established about a 3,000 sqft "compost yard" for all the deposits made by Ol' Tunder and Donkey Houtie. Fortified by about 2 years worth of composted horse manure, this should be a great area to put in my corn starting this weekend. Want to get a bit of an early start as it is warming up and I want a good tall stand prior to July when the North Texas sun starts to fry all the corn in the field around here.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Sweet corn Boots? If so I’ll be up to get some.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Sweet corn, different varieties. Will post pictures when I have some worth posting. Yer always welcome at the Firefly.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:15 pm

We are using this walls from euro pallets. Ready made and cheap.

Depending on what you're planting we use one or two stacked on top of each other.Image

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Rambo wrote:

Well I mean, Mothers Day is coming and I needed some ideas :)

Nah, I already picked out a nice vacuum cleaner…THAT WAS A JOKE

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Joernolav wrote:We are using this walls from euro pallets. Ready made and cheap.

Depending on what you're planting we use one or two stacked on top of each other.Image

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

That’s pretty cool Joe

Return to “General Discussion”