Spring Gardens: Whatcha growin’?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Spring Gardens: Whatcha growin’?

Postby Russ » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Winter here but wife has greenhouses. We picked our last cuce last week. Winter crops are in, sprouts n cabbages, we love cabbage.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:55 pm

Sooner Mizz Boots doesn’t permit spray synthetics so we resort to other means.

Have a poop yard in the back end down by the creek bottom where we scatter the “processing” to dry out some. Don’t leave in piles. Then about every 2-3 week I take the JD yard tractor with a mulching insert and literally mow the stuff - shreds it into pulverized pulp. This dries it even faster. Dry pulverized poop is unattractive poop for flies to nest in.

On top of that, Mizz Boots spreads fly predators around - you can order them live online via a monthly subscription service. They are a teeny tiny anti-fly insect that attacks, bores into, and murders flies. A beautiful natural remedy. On top of that, we hang bell jar fly traps around the place too with the stink bait in them - just add water and hang to a tree or fence with a zip tie. Good feedstores carry them. This takes care of most of the common houseflies, cattle black flies, and even horse flies. The only ones we have occasional severe issues with are the stray robber flies (big big eyed dragonfly looking buggers which I swat with my Sombrero Del Muerte - the Cap of Death aka my ball cap), deer flies which are nasty mottled winged demons that are rare but blazing fast and really bother Ol Tunder, and rarer still, the satanic Bee Fly, a big fuzzy caterpillar looking bugger with an enormous sharp needle nose sticker about an inch long. Occasionally aggressive, these little devils seem to like human flesh, but are a bit ponderous and slow with a distinctive loud audible buzz which serves as a good alert. I have downed several of these little cretins, once with a lucky shot from my Bernzomatic shop torch. Gave him a squirt as he made a head on kamikaze run straight at me, flamed him good and he augered straight into the ground, whereupon I administered the old “coup de Boot”. We used to see a lot of Bot flies around this area many years ago, but haven’t in years. I think pest control and vastly improved animal working over the years has largely eradicated them.

Now, if only Russ would ship us some Aussie ant eaters, maybe we could get a handle on the fire ants.

And when I have time tomorrow I will post the missus’ latest fly killing contraption she bought - looks like the Death Star but even more frightening to me (mainly because I found out what it cost(.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:44 am

Thanks Boots! I didn’t spray the garden just the yard. These things are driving us up the wall. I’m going to look into those mail order fly assassins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:26 am

The Viking is on to something, Boots would look great in burnt orange crocs.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:05 am

GRailsback wrote:The Viking is on to something, Boots would look great in burnt orange crocs.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Maybe with those installed lights that come on when the Horns Score, instead of when the foot hits the ground :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
GRailsback wrote:The Viking is on to something, Boots would look great in burnt orange crocs.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Maybe with those installed lights that come on when the Horns Score, instead of when the foot hits the ground :tup:

No orange crocs. I am allergic to orange.

Sooner below is the hi tec fly killer
Attachments
712F8CB0-465E-4392-97C9-0C37076F1AF4.jpeg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:31 pm

Oh snap…I looked up the price on that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”