USA trip

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Re: USA trip

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:24 pm

Have a good trip Joe! :salut:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks to all of you for great tips. I'll seev what we are able to do. Just arrived at the hotel.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:29 am

Have a good trip Joe!
I definitely envy you for that travel and I hope we can follow you soon.
But the problem for us is, that my wife at this time has only her Thai passport and with that it is nearly impossible to get a visum for the USA. She is doing her german passport now so that maybe we can go to the US next year. Pleqase, do not spare us with too less photos :D
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56 pm

daBertl wrote:Have a good trip Joe!
I definitely envy you for that travel and I hope we can follow you soon.
But the problem for us is, that my wife at this time has only her Thai passport and with that it is nearly impossible to get a visum for the USA. She is doing her german passport now so that maybe we can go to the US next year. Pleqase, do not spare us with too less photos :D

Bert let us know when it's your turn, we'll be happy to cheer from the sidelines then too...
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:26 pm

egghead wrote:I’ll pile on to recommendations by Boots which were excellent

Another thing in Chicago is an architectural tour. It’s by boat and narrated by a docent.

If you make it to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devil’s Tower are nearby. A ride through sturgis (stop for a T-shirt :D ) and Deadwood is nice.

And Deadwood is where Wild Bill Hickock met his tragic end, with a lot of history in that town. Sturgis is a biker's mecca, which draws thousands to a certain somewhat rowdy event mid-August every year. Yours being a family trip, you'll probably not be disappointed to miss the August event. Otherwise, I hear the town is real neat. See links below, maybe something helpful there if needed.

On the way, you COULD stop in Alliance, Nebraska to see... CARHENGE!! The American Neo-Modern tribute to Stonehenge! https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... raska.html

Also highly recommending Cody, Wyoming on the way in, home to the Buffalo Bill Museum which is huge (I think 2nd largest cowboy museum in the US behind the one in Oklahoma City), with literally thousands of artifacts including a 1000+ piece western firearms collection, wagons, stage coaches, you name it. On the way into Yellowstone from Cody as you go from the flats up into the mountains and canyons on US 14, there is also several decent riding stables along the highway that does family and group rides, half days, full days, and outfitted backcountry trips. We rode at the Bill Cody Ranch as I recall, and it was a very good ride, experienced guides and decent, healthy mounts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=horseba ... 2090792677

CARHENGE: Alliance, Nebraska - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chicago ... d42.142293
MOUNT RUSHMORE: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Home-g54774
STURGIS: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Home-g54818 ... 0274ddcf7f
DEADWOOD: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Home-g54578
CODY: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Home-g60442
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the great tips. We are only staying in Chicago for a couple of days before we're flying to Jackson hole and Yellowstone.

Today stated great with a segway tour. Really fun way to see the city. Beautiful city.ImageImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Nice Family - - - the weather looks to be very friendly to Y'all :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:41 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Nice Family - - - the weather looks to be very friendly to Y'all :tup: :salut:
Www got a lot of rain later on the Segway tour. Got really soaked.

Took the architecture boat tour on the river. Great info.

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 pm

The architectural boat tour is real enjoyable.

Boots mentioned the museum in Cody - it’s outstanding. We spent 4 hours there one afternoon and an additional 4 hours the next morning after spending the night in a B&B.

Have to have a Bison Burger in the Yellowstone neighborhood. :D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:16 am

Boots wrote:Bert let us know when it's your turn, we'll be happy to cheer from the sidelines then too...

For sure I will let you know. There would be no better guide than you :rose: :salut:

p.s. If this would be interesting for you all, maybe our boss could make a section here in the forum for travel reports.
I have a lot of pictures around the world and I´m interested also in pics of your holidays. I think I could speak also for Joe about this interest.
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:44 am

:cheers:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Another great day.

Found a cool restaurant: Weber grill restaurant. Of course we had to try it out. They had a decent selection of bbq'ed and grilled food.

We started with a sampler consisting of sticky ribs, gulf shrimps and chicken. Tasted good, but we agreed that the ribs were the best.

I went for a 12 hour smoked brisket with mashed potatoes and coleslaw. Wife and kids for filet mignon, aged 28 days and grilled on Weber commercial grill. After the dinner we got a kettle tour by the manager. Started with the history of Weber and some info about the grills used in the kitchen. Cool ending of a great dinner.

I have never eaten brisket so I don't know if it was Texas quality but it was moist and tender and tasted great imo. The steaks was great according to my family and for once they got a steak that was as good as those we grill at home.

Also went up to the top of Willis tower and out on the glass ledges they have. Very touristy but still fun.ImageImage[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/fabf8fa085328f57825e6093538aaf9c.jpg[/img]ImageImageImageImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:14 pm

Looks like good grub, Joe - - - :tup: thanks for posting :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:24 pm

awesome
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:11 am

How glad I am to be here now. Freezing cold back home with snow many places not far from us. In July!!

Return to “General Discussion”