USA trip

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

User avatar
Joernolav
Outlaw
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Joernolav » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 pm

tex_toby wrote:What a great trip for your family! I love the pics. We are headed that direction on Saturday for a week of Boy Scout Summer Camp near Mount Rushmore. I'm looking forward to a break from the Texas heat. :)
Wish you a nice safe trip and good experiences.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
User avatar
tex_toby
Deputy
Posts: 4147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:22 am
Location: Van Alstyne, Texas
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby tex_toby » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Joernolav wrote:
tex_toby wrote:What a great trip for your family! I love the pics. We are headed that direction on Saturday for a week of Boy Scout Summer Camp near Mount Rushmore. I'm looking forward to a break from the Texas heat. :)
Wish you a nice safe trip and good experiences.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk


Thank you!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
48" Custom Firepit

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
User avatar
Joernolav
Outlaw
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Joernolav » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Spent the day in Salt Lake City. Started with a visit to the great history and science museum and learned some more great US history, mostly from Utah. Also visited the State Capitol. Great building and more history learned. Later we spent a little time in the temple square around the tabernacle to see the history there. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
User avatar
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:13 pm

What a great experience you and your family are having Joe !!
You are seeing A LOT of great things here in this beautiful country that alot of us that live here never get to see and that's awesome.
Enjoy your time here and if you ever get a chance to see The Hoover darn and Grand Canyon take that opportunity.
They are both great places !!
User avatar
Joernolav
Outlaw
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Joernolav » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:54 pm

woodenvisions wrote:What a great experience you and your family are having Joe !!
You are seeing A LOT of great things here in this beautiful country that alot of us that live here never get to see and that's awesome.
Enjoy your time here and if you ever get a chance to see The Hoover darn and Grand Canyon take that opportunity.
They are both great places !!
Thanks. I have actually seen the Hoover darn and the Grand Canyon. In 2015 we were in Las Vegas and flew over the Hoover darn with helicopter and landed inside the grand Canyon. It was a fantastic experience. I found this picture from my Facebook page from July 2015. Agree with you that it is highly recommendable.Image

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
User avatar
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:04 pm

That is a kool pic ^^^^^[

Years ago we went down below into the underground belly of the Hoover darn for a guided tour.
Since then, they put up that new sky high bridge and as you know you can't get down to the main area anymore.
I almost lost lunch hanging my head over the railing looking straight down..

We never knew we were near there. We left Vegas and we were making our way back to the east coast and missed our turn.
So our detour put us on a back road and not long we came up to a half dozen Hum v's and MP's doing a roadside check.
That's when we saw signs for the Hoover darn 10 minutes away. It was late at night so we decided to turn back and hit the Hacienda we passed 10 minutes earlier, grab a room and something to eat and spend the morning at the darn in the daytime.
What a great decision

All because we missed a turn
User avatar
Joernolav
Outlaw
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Joernolav » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:49 pm

woodenvisions wrote:That is a kool pic ^^^^^[

Years ago we went down below into the underground belly of the Hoover darn for a guided tour.
Since then, they put up that new sky high bridge and as you know you can't get down to the main area anymore.
I almost lost lunch hanging my head over the railing looking straight down..

We never knew we were near there. We left Vegas and we were making our way back to the east coast and missed our turn.
So our detour put us on a back road and not long we came up to a half dozen Hum v's and MP's doing a roadside check.
That's when we saw signs for the Hoover darn 10 minutes away. It was late at night so we decided to turn back and hit the Hacienda we passed 10 minutes earlier, grab a room and something to eat and spend the morning at the darn in the daytime.
What a great decision

All because we missed a turn
A really cool story. Seeing the Hoover darn that close is cool and certainly very interesting. I can't stop being amazed when seeing great engineering.

We have been lucky to be able to do some spectacular holidays bringing our kids with us. I sometimes wonder if I spoil them too much, but then I think it's probably only a few years until they will do their own holidays.

After the holiday above, which was a 2 week tour, when we came home I took the kids on a canoe tour out in the forest for a weekend. We brought a tent and spent a couple of nights out. Fishing and tenting and just paddling around with the canoe.

Later the summer I asked the kids what was their best experience this summer, expecting they to say the helicopter tour. They both said simultaneously the canoe tour.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
User avatar
Rambo
Deputy
Posts: 3794
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Lufkin, TEXAS
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Rambo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 pm

We went on a raft tour below the darn, up close and then traveled down River
User avatar
Joernolav
Outlaw
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Joernolav » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Rambo wrote:We went on a raft tour below the darn, up close and then traveled down River
That sounds exciting and must have been a thrilling experience. I would have been nervous though. We have a lot of dams home and I fish in the rivers below. Always afraid they open the hatches. And they do that without warning so you always have to be alert. Especially when wading in the river.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
User avatar
Boots
Wordsmith
Posts: 3886
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 pm
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA!
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:29 pm

tex_toby wrote:
Joernolav wrote:
tex_toby wrote:What a great trip for your family! I love the pics. We are headed that direction on Saturday for a week of Boy Scout Summer Camp near Mount Rushmore. I'm looking forward to a break from the Texas heat. :)
Wish you a nice safe trip and good experiences.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk


Thank you!


Shout out to Toby, long time, good to hear from you.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to start a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
User avatar
Boots
Wordsmith
Posts: 3886
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 pm
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA!
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 pm

Joernolav wrote:
Rambo wrote:We went on a raft tour below the darn, up close and then traveled down River
That sounds exciting and must have been a thrilling experience. I would have been nervous though. We have a lot of dams home and I fish in the rivers below. Always afraid they open the hatches. And they do that without warning so you always have to be alert. Especially when wading in the river.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk


They blow horns on the big dams here when they open the gates to warn people, saw that on the Arkansas river many moons ago. And we rode the rafts below Glen Canyon darn year ago too. But talk about cold water! I think they said the water temperature just below the darn was 48F because the lake was so deep at that point.

Water temp further down was “better” at 52F, and the raft company had a standing bet of $100 that nobody could stand in the river more 1 minute without freezing up. So being dumb we tried it; I think I made it to 48 seconds. Causes yer hands to curl up, teeth to chatter wildly, and “other” things to go look fee a snake hole to get into.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to start a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
User avatar
OldUsedParts
Deputy
Posts: 14896
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 am

Awesome Photography Skills make for Beautiful Pics :tup: :salut: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Even tho I was but a small boy when my Grandparents to me to Salt Lake, I can still remember the Museum, the Pipe Organ and great acoustics in the Chapel, the Sea Gull and historical story of how they saved the Mormons Crops and the beautiful architecture of the City.

When I saw this pic, this was my first impression ! :cheers: :chef: :chef: :chef:
ChefJoe (2).jpg
"Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ "
User avatar
tex_toby
Deputy
Posts: 4147
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:22 am
Location: Van Alstyne, Texas
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby tex_toby » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 am

Boots wrote:
tex_toby wrote:
Joernolav wrote:
tex_toby wrote:What a great trip for your family! I love the pics. We are headed that direction on Saturday for a week of Boy Scout Summer Camp near Mount Rushmore. I'm looking forward to a break from the Texas heat. :)
Wish you a nice safe trip and good experiences.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk


Thank you!


Shout out to Toby, long time, good to hear from you.


Howdy brother Boots! :salut: I'm still here most everyday reading posts :D
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
48" Custom Firepit

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
User avatar
Joernolav
Outlaw
Posts: 1824
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby Joernolav » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Another great day. We made it to Moab, Utah yesterday. Rented a Jeep Wrangler and drove out in the Canyonland today. Did a few off-road tracks. The Gemini bridges and the Schafer trail. Schafer trail was cool. Many switchbacks down a steep hillside. 1500 feet down. No fences and narrow road. We were also lucky and and got one of only 50 permits to go to Musselman Arch. You can see the stone bridge in one of the pictures below.

Hot for a Norwegian. 97 out in the field.

Here are a few pictures of today's beautiful nature.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
User avatar
OldUsedParts
Deputy
Posts: 14896
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Contact:

Re: USA trip

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Renting that Jeep and "doin yer own thing" is definitely FAAAARRRRR OUT :tup: :salut: :cheers:
Great Pics again and thanks for sharing.
I can certainly relate to the switchback turns and nothing but air below :roll: :shock: :laughing7:
"Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ "

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests