Additional costs of Propertys in the USA

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Re: Additional costs of Propertys in the USA

Postby daBertl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:43 pm

I can see in the Zillow Page, that there is a very big difference from region to region. Thx for the link :salut:
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Hey Bert, iffin Y'all do move to the States, won't you have to change your Signature :dont: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:24 pm

For sure I'll do that soon.
Unfortunately it describes the past, the sad past ...
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:51 pm

The town we moved from in North Jersey had 18,000.00 $ taxes on 2,500 sq ft houses with 2 acres.
Mount Olive Twshp

Stay away from Jersey at all costs.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:24 pm

daBertl wrote:For sure I'll do that soon.

Re: The signature my G^ Grandfather left Aschaffenburg in the 1770s and here I am alive in Texas livin' the dream........ :cheers:
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 pm

I was just "pulling yer leg" as we say in Texas - - - hope I didn't offend :dont: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:50 am

Howdy Bert - just now picking up on this discussion. Lots of people over here focus on property taxes (which in Texas fund most school systems as we have NO income tax), but the best way is to look at the overall tax burden, state by state. There are many sources for this data, but the business oriented sites probably are more accurate. So here’s an easy tool from Kiplinger’s with a handy interactive map and data:

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/taxes/T0 ... /index.php

The other factor to consider is relative economic activity and property appreciation. Some states are booming with growth - Texas and Florida for example - so newer housing, better amenities, better schools, better infrastructure, etc are likely to be found in those places. Forbes would be a good guide:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthash ... f9ad3c591c

Finally on climate, “sunbelt” states and the mountain states rule with warmer winters, cleaner air, and more scenic areas. So picking higher elevations in sunbelt states like Arizona and New Mexico can get you great low humidity mountain living. Prescott, Arizona is a good example. Oceanside living along the central California coast from say Santa Barbara north to Carmel is spectacular (if you can stomach California taxes and politics. The mid-Atlantic coast is also pretty with moderate winters. And areas in the Ozarks (eastern Oklahoma over into Arkansas) and the Blue Ridge (in the Carolinas) offer beautiful mountain living with lots of lakes. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho are drop-dead gorgeous but cold in the winter. And let’s not forget the Poconos! In eastern Pennsylvania. And we love Texas of course but it can be a bit hot for the uninitiated. Check the average temps map:

https://climate.ncsu.edu/edu/Climate

NOTE: Historically high tax states are bleeding people heading in droves to low tax states particularly in the south/southeastern US, which is why Texas and Florida are growing like crazy, and people are leaving Illinois so fast you’d think someone set the whole state on fire. Affordability of housing is also a consideration.

Hope this helps - Boots
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:09 am

My sincere advice would be to take a few months and visit a few states before buying anything.
For instance, here in Texas it gets Africa hot for month after month, the way we can tell it's winter is when the grass turns green again.
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am

OldUsedParts wrote:

I was just "pulling yer leg" as we say in Texas - - - hope I didn't offend :dont: :salut:

Sure not. You can say a lot more until i get offended :rose: :D
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am

Boots wrote:Howdy Bert - just now picking up on this discussion. Lots of people over here focus on property taxes (which in Texas fund most school systems as we have NO income tax), but the best way is to look at the overall tax burden, state by state. There are many sources for this data, but the business oriented sites probably are more accurate. So here’s an easy tool from Kiplinger’s with a handy interactive map and data:

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/taxes/T0 ... /index.php

The other factor to consider is relative economic activity and property appreciation. Some states are booming with growth - Texas and Florida for example - so newer housing, better amenities, better schools, better infrastructure, etc are likely to be found in those places. Forbes would be a good guide:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthash ... f9ad3c591c

Finally on climate, “sunbelt” states and the mountain states rule with warmer winters, cleaner air, and more scenic areas. So picking higher elevations in sunbelt states like Arizona and New Mexico can get you great low humidity mountain living. Prescott, Arizona is a good example. Oceanside living along the central California coast from say Santa Barbara north to Carmel is spectacular (if you can stomach California taxes and politics. The mid-Atlantic coast is also pretty with moderate winters. And areas in the Ozarks (eastern Oklahoma over into Arkansas) and the Blue Ridge (in the Carolinas) offer beautiful mountain living with lots of lakes. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho are drop-dead gorgeous but cold in the winter. And let’s not forget the Poconos! In eastern Pennsylvania. And we love Texas of course but it can be a bit hot for the uninitiated. Check the average temps map:

https://climate.ncsu.edu/edu/Climate

NOTE: Historically high tax states are bleeding people heading in droves to low tax states particularly in the south/southeastern US, which is why Texas and Florida are growing like crazy, and people are leaving Illinois so fast you’d think someone set the whole state on fire. Affordability of housing is also a consideration.

Hope this helps - Boots

Thx a lot, with that informations I can work a lot and I can visualize the different living conditions
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 am

Chasdev wrote:My sincere advice would be to take a few months and visit a few states before buying anything.
For instance, here in Texas it gets Africa hot for month after month, the way we can tell it's winter is when the grass turns green again.

I do not have anything against heat.
But you are right, maybe it would be an option to rent something in different places before buying.
I just think about and I´m not in a tight spot, but it is a decision, which can change everything so I sure do not want to lose all my money.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am

Hot weather is a cold front down here.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Just to chime in on the tax issue. My wife and I live in Rockwall County. Home is 2400 sq. ft. with 1.92 acres, with a $400,000 value, taxes run around $4500 a year. That said we have been here 23 years and our property has a home stead exemption. Conversely we looked at a property next door to my parents in Dallas County. Home was about 2200 sq. ft. with .95 acre. Listed at $335,000. Dallas County taxes were going to run us $9500 a year. My point is property values and taxes vary greatly from county to county. The biggest hit on the Dallas County property we saw was the Dallas County Community College District and Parkland Hospital taxes, both roughly $500 each a year. We have neither of those in Rockwall County. So the best gauge would be to set a budget and see where that price range best serves you and your family.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 pm

I read also about that home stead exemption

That makes it much more cheap, but I think, only american citizens get that.
So only after 5 years, we could get the american citizenship.
This would be ok, because paying a lot for 5 years is ok, but not forever.

So I´m just informing me at the moment, but the idea wouldn´t be a bad one.

The worst one would be to sell my clinic here and start new in my horrible age. I think, I wouldn´t do that.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Another way to think of it is, and it sound like yer in the position to do it, move over and rent for a while as someone suggest, then if you want to pick up stakes and go somewhere else you can. The great thing about the US is its like 50 different countries, all together, with pretty good roads and GREAT BARBECUE, LOL.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “General Discussion”