802.11ax Router.

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

802.11ax Router.

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Does anyone have an 802.11ax (WiFi 6) router? I am going to become a cable cutter and go the streaming/broadcast HD TV route. CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, and CW all have HD over the area broadcast, with a good chuck of the them in 4K. Will need something that can push the 1's and 0's at a fast rate. Thinking about this one: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/ROG- ... T-AX11000/ . At 4 benjamins, not a cheap choice but will pay for itself in 6 months for less. Also, been working from home (due to Corona fears of my employer) and the Mrs is doing the same thing. Hence 3 VPNs running at the same time.... .
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: 802.11ax Router.

Postby Rambo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:13 pm

N
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm

I don'tknow this one but I've had a previous version of an Asus router. It was not stable in my house. Dropped connections often. Suddenly it just stopped working. Even if I still have my cable I'm not using it much. I've mostly cut cord. I use the Apple TV 4K and the apps on my TV for watching.

I've tried multiple routers with poor results over all floors. I would recommend a mesh network with cables backbone.
I use the Ubiquity Amplifi mesh network with cables backbone. Have one mesh router in each floor. Very stable. We have a 3 floor house with fiber intake at the bottom floor. 1 GB line. 4k Hdr draws around 25 m/bits bandwidth. I have two kids streaming and gaming a lot while we are streaming 4K hdr. No issues.

I would therefore recommend checking a mesh system. There are many.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Joernolav wrote:I don'tknow this one but I've had a previous version of an Asus router. It was not stable in my house. Dropped connections often. Suddenly it just stopped working. Even if I still have my cable I'm not using it much. I've mostly cut cord. I use the Apple TV 4K and the apps on my TV for watching.

I've tried multiple routers with poor results over all floors. I would recommend a mesh network with cables backbone.
I use the Ubiquity Amplifi mesh network with cables backbone. Have one mesh router in each floor. Very stable. We have a 3 floor house with fiber intake at the bottom floor. 1 GB line. 4k Hdr draws around 25 m/bits bandwidth. I have two kids streaming and gaming a lot while we are streaming 4K hdr. No issues.

I would therefore recommend checking a mesh system. There are many.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Good to know. This router is Mesh capable, although not sure I will need a mesh as my house is a single story and by no means considered huge. Thank you for the reply. I will look into Ubiquity. I have had issues with Netgear and Linksys in the past.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:38 am

I am still only using just my cable company modem and have all our laptops/iPads/connected individually to a VPN. If you get a VPN router, then everything going through it will be on the VPN and would eliminate individual VPNs.
My cable modem and speed is nearly 200 mbs and had no problems with working while the Dish Sat was recording and 2 grandkids were streaming netflix at the same time.

I will be interested to see what you land on since I am still on the fence of needing a specific VPN modem to get all of my other devices (roomba, thermostats, alexa, etc).

I can’t decide on a brand with excellent reliability yet, but read that Asus is pretty strong.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:06 am

Netgear Nighthawk 6 Tri Band here and a VPN, running 4 Firesticks, 2 Roku's, 3 Tablets, 2 Cell Phones and 2 Laptops and a wifi security system with 4 HD cameras and not a single hiccup.
Last year we also had a good 10 people hooked up to wifi during a party and No issues.

Took me a while to find a good Router but this is it.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:30 am

+1 on ubiquity I have worked with their equipment in the microwave arena, good stuff and cheap...
at home still an old BGN router.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Slow progress. We bought an AppleTV 4K box and arrived today. Will test with the Verizon router and and HD antenna. Still dwelling on which router to pick....
Deputy Dave

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 am

got an antenna from www antenna direct placed it on top of our tv we are close to the metro so signal is good, for the locals and some not so local, I was using a home built antenna but the "store bought" works a lot better and looks better as well, at least the wife is happy with it..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “General Discussion”