Why does the frozen BBQ wings I bought have a slight bad smell to them,like sheep fur or goat?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dom mic
Pilgrim

Why does the frozen BBQ wings I bought have a slight bad smell to them,like sheep fur or goat?

Postby dom mic » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:46 pm

I bought a frozen box of uncooked raw BBQ wings (I won't mention the brand name) at a variety store and noticed a slight bad smell to them, its hard to describe but they smelled like sheep fur or goat. When thawed in the oven they appeared to look a little aged and the slight bad smell was a little stronger than when frozen but tasted ok after fully cooked. I notice on the rare occasion that when buying cheaper bacon at the groceries sometimes the bacon would have this very similar slight smell. Anyone know what that could be and how its possible that a very popular company and brand name would package the wings this way or maby the wings got defrosted then frozen again in that store? I only noticed this with the 1 box I bought and never noticed this before with frozen wings. Should I return the remaining 8 wings? The smell is just slight, I wonder if they may refuse to refund.
Last edited by dom mic on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Why does the frozen BBQ wings I bought have a slight bad smell to them,like sheep fur or lamb skin?

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 am

If there's ever a question, best not to eat them. Some items have a sulphur-ish smell to them; mainly pork. This is part of the solution they are treated with and while pretty rough in most cases, can be rinsed away and won't hurt you. What you're describing, I've never personally experienced but, eh. Why would you return them after you've eaten them and found they were otherwise ok?
(Insert witty signature here)
dom mic
Pilgrim

Re: Why does the frozen BBQ wings I bought have a slight bad smell to them,like sheep fur or lamb skin?

Postby dom mic » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Txdragon wrote:If there's ever a question, best not to eat them. Some items have a sulphur-ish smell to them; mainly pork. This is part of the solution they are treated with and while pretty rough in most cases, can be rinsed away and won't hurt you. What you're describing, I've never personally experienced but, eh. Why would you return them after you've eaten them and found they were otherwise ok?
They looked a little old for raw wings after thawed(no where near the freshness as in groceries) in the oven, the taste was ok but that smell. The expiration date is sept 2020, i wonder if theres a chance this frozen box of wings remained in that variety store for a month or so before i bought it as customers kept on opening and closing the upright freezer doors where this box was, combined with a hot summer causing the wings to partially defrost and become slightly wet to the point of producing a smell like this? If any foods bought at a store has a slight bad smell, customers should always have the right to return them for a refund even if they taste ok or good and did not cause an upset stomach.
Last edited by dom mic on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dom mic
Pilgrim

Postby dom mic » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:51 pm

If i dont return them maby i'll wash them. I notice in groceries the odd time when buying less known brands of bacon, you may get a similar slight bad smell as these wings, i imagine because these wings are also 100% raw in the box and probably had some degree of defrosting as customers always open those freezer doors. Last time i buy raw frozen wings in a variety store.
Last edited by dom mic on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Why does the frozen BBQ wings I bought have a slight bad smell to them,like sheep fur or goat?

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:57 am

Personally I never use food that doesn't smell bad. I either return it or throw it. I don't want to risk being sick if I feel there is something wrong with the food.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
dom mic
Pilgrim

Re: Why does the frozen BBQ wings I bought have a slight bad smell to them,like sheep fur or goat?

Postby dom mic » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm

I washed the wings and they thawed a bit and the slight bad smell is there, its possible these wings are starting to go bad thats why theres a smell so I threw them out because I lost the receipt. It does happen sometimes that when food passes the expiration date its repackaged in another box, well I noticed on the box a tape was applied as if maby these wings passed the expiration date and was taped up in a new box. Certainly if any food bought has a bad smell even if its slight, that is an indication that it may be going bad so therefore do not eat it, return it or throw it out.
Last edited by dom mic on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Probably a wise choice. If they repackage it after expiration date and put on a new date it must be illegal and a scam.

We had some cases of this here a few years ago. It was revealed that it was a common practice by one of our well known grocery store chain. They got fined so hard that they almost went out of business.

strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm

Joernolav wrote:Probably a wise choice. If they repackage it after expiration date and put on a new date it must be illegal and a scam.

We had some cases of this here a few years ago. It was revealed that it was a common practice by one of our well known grocery store chain. They got fined so hard that they almost went out of business.

I worked at a grocery store in the meat dept just after high school. The seasoned steaks were steaks that had gone dark and didn’t look appealing. They’d season them up with a rub that was heavy on the paprika and not much else, they flew off the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:13 am

strength_and_pow wrote:
Joernolav wrote:Probably a wise choice. If they repackage it after expiration date and put on a new date it must be illegal and a scam.

I worked at a grocery store in the meat dept just after high school. The seasoned steaks were steaks that had gone dark and didn’t look appealing. They’d season them up with a rub that was heavy on the paprika and not much else, they flew off the shelves.

That would ok imo, as long as expiration date is the same.

dom mic
Pilgrim

Postby dom mic » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:02 pm

I noticed yesterday an email from that company was sent to me on June 30(4 days after I emailed them), its below. Its nice that they want to send me a replacement but to be honest they didn't take this serious enough because when someone reports a slight bad smell to their wings, very most likely its because its starting to go bad and it should be policy and maby even the law that such food should be provided as evidence as to find out why, and that most likely its due to that variety store who possibly repackaged it or if not it started to go bad for another reason maby even accidently or not knowingly that it got defrosted or other.

They should of contacted me within 24 hours to give me instructions on what exact time my food was going to be picked up by them or other department for inspection and provide me a written statement of what was wrong with the food. This should be made into law really because no store should EVER sell food that may be going bad, plain and simple.

I want good food ok?- :happ: not bad food- :deadhorse:
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:57 pm

dom mic wrote:I noticed yesterday an email from that company was sent to me on June 30(4 days after I emailed them), its below. Its nice that they want to send me a replacement but to be honest they didn't take this serious enough because when someone reports a slight bad smell to their wings, very most likely its because its starting to go bad and it should be policy and maby even the law that such food should be provided as evidence as to find out why, and that most likely its due to that variety store who possibly repackaged it or if not it started to go bad for another reason maby even accidently or not knowingly that it got defrosted or other.

They should of contacted me within 24 hours to give me instructions on what exact time my food was going to be picked up by them or other department for inspection and provide me a written statement of what was wrong with the food. This should be made into law really because no store should EVER sell food that may be going bad, plain and simple.

I want good food ok?- :happ: not bad food- :deadhorse:

Your expectations seem a bit excessive. Did you have a cooler with ice or some other means of refrigeration for their transport home? What is the temperature of your fridge? Can you provide a recent calibration certificate of thermometer used to measure temp. How about a current food handling certificate? Was your kitchen and grill wiped down with a sanitizing solution? Can you provide documentation showing the solution was at the proper strength?
I want good food as much as the next guy but I understand I have to do my due diligence as well.
Having noticed an off smell prior to cooking, you should have stopped right there’s d called the store. Moving forward and cooking and then eating them, you accepted the risk of consuming a questionable item. When in doubt, throw it out.

Return to “General Discussion”