Knife collection

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

GTR
Bandolero

Knife collection

Postby GTR » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:40 pm

As some are aware my dad passed in 2020. Earlier this month my mom went to be with him. As a result my sister and I are sorting through 60+ years of belongings. My dad was a firearms and knife collector. Most of the firearms have been placed in the family. The knives are just overwhelming. We’re talking 3-400 knives. Does anyone have experience with a reputable knife appraiser/buyer? Sister and I have the few we want and need assistance in liquidating the rest. Thanks for any assistance.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Knife collection

Postby Rambo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:53 am

Sorry for your loss Brother
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:41 am

Hey Pardnah, my youngest Son is also a Knife fanatic and he even started making knives back in his teen aged years. He still collects some on occasion and I'LL ASK HIM if he would like to have the opportunity to talk with Y'all about any of these.

I'll let you know what he says and if he does, I'll give you his phone number !
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:48 am

This was His Reply: Sure put me in contact with them and I'll help the best I can
I"ll PM you his phone number

Emm
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:21 pm

Sorry for your loss.

When my dad passed a few years ago, I got all of his knives, but nowhere near that many. So they hang in shadow type boxes on my shop wall.

If you get the electric co-op monthly, I think there is an ad in there from someone looking for knives.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:04 pm

bowhnter wrote:Sorry for your loss.

When my dad passed a few years ago, I got all of his knives, but nowhere near that many. So they hang in shadow type boxes on my shop wall.

If you get the electric co-op monthly, I think there is an ad in there from someone looking for knives.

Thank you. In the later years he was still making the gun shows in Dallas. I guess hauling 15-20 long guns was too much. So he went to pocket knives. Was buying lots of 50-100. Pick the ones he thought were the cream of the crop and sell off the lesser ones to cover the cost. There’s Hen & Rooster, Henckels’, Case USA and so on. These were in rifle cases, 7 of them. Lord knows what’s in the safe.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:59 am

:shock: :laughing7: :salut: :cheers:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:48 pm

Just wish I could be or help. Most of my knives were made by others. Some call them them custom, others call them homemade.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:41 am

DATsBBQ wrote:Just wish I could be or help. Most of my knives were made by others. Some call them them custom, others call them homemade.

My dad made knives for years. Hidden tang and dear antler, plus made the sheathes. Unfortunately they were all either made to order or sold at gun shows. Homemade or custom there are some excellent makers in the market.
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “General Discussion”