For my new non hog trapping friends from up north

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:55 pm

No, I shot the javelina out in Ft. Stockton. I have seen them in Young county as well.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:50 pm

Ahhh ok..gotcha. Me and a pal was deer hunting on a ranch outside of Odom (sic) close to Corpus back in the wee early 70's..when he stumbled into a mess of them things. He had a lever action .30-30 and it sounded like WW II had broke out when he started shootin. Went over to where he was and found he had done knocked down 5 of them critters. Being ever well prepared hunters..both of us had forgot to bring any kind of knife so he gutted out 2 which he claimed was females using a pair of fingernail clippers. He took em home to finish butchering em. Few days later he brought me some of the meat. Throwed that meat in a hot skillet and the air turned stinky fast. Smelt like somebody had turned a skunk loose in the house. The warden was not a happy camper on that deal. She say no more Javelinos in her kitchen:)

bigwheel
LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:58 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh my new friend...........I am headed back to Ft. Stockton in March to hunt the little devils. I will make sure you get to taste some of the delictable meat that comes off their bones after they have been on a smoker for a while.
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:51 am

Most jav are in southwest part of the state...ain't none in the northeast..I have never had the chance to see any...but I have heard they are alot of fun to hunt ...I always heard they weren't fit to eat...but I know folks that say the same about wild pigs...until they eat some done right...I figure jav are the same way...

Right Low :wink:
LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:39 am

Same thing goes for you. I'll share some meat with you when I get back.
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:16 am

ME...YOU MEAN ME!!!!...thank ya very much :lol: :D

Ft. Stockton....I spent most of my childhood summers at Kent...kmow where that is????
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:16 pm

I do like wild hog much prefer it over store bought pork(well except ribs). I like the wild taste. My DH trapped around 40 of them last yr. Add DS1's kills to the mix and we got over 50 of them thangs last yr. DS1 started off the yr right this yr to he went out on Jan 5, day before he turned 16, and got 3 of'em. Couldn't find 1 but he brought home a sow that was gunna have babies that night he also had a 170lb boar. Got'em with his Henry .22 lever action rifle. This is the 3rd time he's done this. We give lots and lots of hogs away.
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:33 pm

I hear ya perryranch...I would much rather eat wild pig than store bought or deer!!!

Return to “General Discussion”