DFW'ers OK???

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:36 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:
A whole lotta folks in this area got hurt, though, from hail and twisters. Some areas reported baseball size and bigger stones. :shock:

My Mom lives about 2 miles from Rob. She emailed me this morning and said that she brought some hail stones inside and snapped a few pics.

She said that she laid a couple of them next to an egg and she says that hail stones arew about 3 times the size of the egg.

She doesn't know how to transfer the pics from her camera to the PC, but next time I am over there, I will upload them and post a pic.

:shock: wow. I remember back in '93 we had a bad hail storm, golf ball size hail and it did some pretty good damage. Can't imagine what kinda damage that hail did. Think about all the car dealerships!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:43 pm

There goes my USAA dividend check :cry:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:21 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:
A whole lotta folks in this area got hurt, though, from hail and twisters. Some areas reported baseball size and bigger stones. :shock:

My Mom lives about 2 miles from Rob. She emailed me this morning and said that she brought some hail stones inside and snapped a few pics.

She said that she laid a couple of them next to an egg and she says that hail stones arew about 3 times the size of the egg.

She doesn't know how to transfer the pics from her camera to the PC, but next time I am over there, I will upload them and post a pic.

:shock: wow. I remember back in '93 we had a bad hail storm, golf ball size hail and it did some pretty good damage. Can't imagine what kinda damage that hail did. Think about all the car dealerships!

I remember that storm. It was right after my wife and I got divorced. The hail destroyed her car. :D
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:22 pm

Glad to hear everyone is ok. I'm sitting in the airport right now waiting on a flight to DFW. My one earlier was cancelled.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:50 pm

Warden got a hailstone in the freezer about 3" in diameter which was fairly representative of the size we got. We live real close to N. Beach and Western Center. My pickup got plastered at the watering hole over in Hurst. Friday night is boys night out here lately. Fella over there snagged a stone about the size of a small chicken egg.

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:56 pm

Looks like that storm is still going strong. Moving east and a little north. It's leaving a lot of destruction in it's wake. :( Glad to here everyone made it through without any family hurt, only a little property damage. Property can at least be fixed.
Jim
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Sorry to hear some of you guys were affected by the storms. Lots of A-typical weather paterns all across our country. We're in for a big un up here tomorrow night into Monday...Hoping for rain, cause if it's snow, it will mos likely be measured in feet..add 60 mph winds to the equasion and it ain't purty...on top of that, I gotta start cooking for a catering gig Friday...Consider yourselves and residents of Haltom City added to my Prayer list.
DJ
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:45 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:

You talking about the one here in Ft. Worth during Mayfest? I remember that one well.

We were eating out and on our way home. I-30 and about Cherry Lane it started hailing on us. Wife wanted me to pull under the bridge and sit. The bridge was full and had people sitting in traffic lanes. I refused to stop.

I ended up pulling into a gas station the next exit, but by then our windshield had been beaten in as well as the rest of the car. Son was about 6 months old. Both he and my wife were crying their eyes out!

From what I remember, the actual hail stones wern't all that big, maybe golf ball size. But the body shop said that the stones had jagged edges in them that caused the bad damage.

I still catch heck from my wife because I didn't stop under the bridge!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:45 pm

your all in my prayers glad to hear nun of you was hurt and not to much damage.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:27 am

Wow, we just caught the tail end of that storm as it moved across gulf. Heavy rain, coastal flooding, tornado s, high winds( 70-90 mph gusts-45 sustained). Thankfully no hail. They say it will only last for about another hour. :D Can't even see the back fence it's raining so hard. Glad I'm not in a flood zone. :D
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:48 am

BW, howed you fare? You gonna need that new roof?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Cant tell about roof damage so far. It looks ok but figger I get the adjuster to crawl around up there just to be on the safe side.

bigwheel
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:19 pm

OSD, how are things there? Ya'll OK?
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:09 pm

Rich, No damage at my place. Couple palm trees down the street are on the ground. It went through here in less than an hour :shock: The winds and rain reminded me of a hurricane. The news said there was some flooding and alot of wind damage in the area and some areas lost power. We were lucky. :D
Jim
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:09 pm

Glad you guys are ok.
That was some bad s#*!

Return to “General Discussion”