Is it Manure or Fertilizer

Put your funniest internet jokes + anything that pokes fun at Bubbas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Is it Manure or Fertilizer

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Here is a true story that I'd like to share today. I only wish that I had the word-smithing techs of BOOTS but here goes anyhow.

Back in the days I was fresh out of Pathological Farriers School (aka Corrective Horseshoeing School) and I got a call from my little Brother saying that his Boss's prize and highly insured Roping Horse had Foundered. Then he told me that the Insurance Company was flying in my Hero, the late great Burney Chapman, to try and keep the animal from have to be put down.

While in School, I had learned and studied Mr. Chapmans creation of the Heart Bar Shoe to save Foundered Horses and was excited when my Brother asked if I would like to come up and watch him work. Well, needless to say, I was ready to accept that invitation and did.

We ended up meeting at a Restaurant in Huntsville before going to the Ranch where the lame horse was and during our conversation there at the table I couldn't help but tell him that I had admired his work and studied his process and invention ever since School. I also told him how much I appreciated him allowing me to watch him work and I hoped he didn't mind if I asked a question every now and then while he was working on the founder animal ?

Then the long lanky unpretentious Cowboy, Scholar and Professor said these words that I'll never forget.
"OF COURSE I DON'T MIND, EMMETT. TO ME KNOWLEDGE IS LIKE COW MANURE, IF YOU PILE IT IN ONE PLACE IT IS STILL COW MANURE BUT IF YOU SPREAD IT AROUND, IT BECOMES FERTILIZER AND MAKES THINGS GROW AND PRODUCE :!: "
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Re: Is it Manure or Fertilizer

Postby CaptJack » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:59 pm

got a buddy who ferriers horses barefoot
horse foot whisperer ;)
btw.. he's the founder of TexasKayakFisherman - 2000 ;)
sent him this post
waiting for a Richard response ;)
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:36 pm

looking forward to his reply - - - - if the "HUMANS" hadn't bred the hoof off of the horse, most of them could go barefooted - - - I had the pleasure of trimming some wild adopted donks and mustangs once and my tools got tested real good - - had to resharpen everything afterwards :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Talking of horses, I've bred and raced a few, the first trainer I had said to me once about one of my horses who was tied up, I had to walk past the horse from behind, I took a wide berth, the trainer said he won't kick ya, I said I know he won't, I've always kept within kicking distance. I never trusted a horse from behind, I've seen a few near misses when a horse has lashed out when spooked.
Btw. Great story emm, so true as well.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 pm

most idiots get kicked because the animal (because of limited rear vision) doesn't know the person is walking up behind them - - - quick funny: I was showing a friend how to spray his mule with fly repellant because he said she wouldn't stand for it - - - NOTE: I was standing at the front of the Molly holding her halter and gently spraying her when she took her back hoof and kicked the can out of my hand - - - "agile little huzzy" she was :whiteflag:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:39 pm

I can imagine the language! Lol

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Pretty sure I heard of Mr. Chapman as a kid, probably because we lived in Midway north of Huntsville when I was in high school back in the late 70s.

And Parts, Believe me I know all about turning manure into fertilizer these days. And also the surprised look on a noob's face when they find out that horse can kick forward as well as back and just as fast. Particularly if you dig in a little too deep with that hoof knife in the frog on the forehand.

Like Sherlock Holmes said, "they're dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle".
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Yo Boots, he was from Counselor's Alma Mater but he flew himself to places that needed him and passed way too soon. :(
http://www.horse-previews.com/1299artic ... ndies.html
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:07 am

Boots wrote:Pretty sure I heard of Mr. Chapman as a kid, probably because we lived in Midway north of Huntsville when I was in high school back in the late 70s.

And Parts, Believe me I know all about turning manure into fertilizer these days. And also the surprised look on a noob's face when they find out that horse can kick forward as well as back and just as fast. Particularly if you dig in a little too deep with that hoof knife in the frog on the forehand.

Like Sherlock Holmes said, "they're dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle".

One of my very best friends lives and raised a family in Midway. Do you happen to know Tim Arnold? Big horse guy, rancher etc. His son Ty is the heeler on our world championship team roping team.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 pm

outlaw wrote:
Boots wrote:Pretty sure I heard of Mr. Chapman as a kid, probably because we lived in Midway north of Huntsville when I was in high school back in the late 70s.

One of my very best friends lives and raised a family in Midway. Do you happen to know Tim Arnold? Big horse guy, rancher etc. His son Ty is the heeler on our world championship team roping team.

Sadly, can't say I remember them, they sound like great folks. I only lived there staring my Sophomore year and then moved on when I left for A&M in 1980, back in the days before fuel injection, cable TV, screw tops, aluminum beer bottles and such. They might know our old house though, it was smack on the south side of OSR about a mile west of 21. Two story brick with three dormers facing the road, across the street from Don and Elsie Farris' place, has a red barn out in front now. Some lady bought it and turned it into an even bigger horse place, I think she bought up the surrounding acreage 'til it was over 300 acres.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Those Funny Cowboys”