Newbie, Lots of Qs

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

lenniepi
Pilgrim

Newbie, Lots of Qs

Postby lenniepi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:02 am

Hi, I'm a longtime casual smoker, located in San Antonio. Been away from it a few years, and looking to get serious.
Work is busy, time is tight, but I'd still like to create some great meat. I would appreciate your advice.

First question: Can I make great brisket with a pellet smoker? The appeal of not closely tending a fire for 12 hours is huge.
Second question: Is there a good pellet smoker for under $1,000?
Third question: What's a good offset smoker for around $5-800?
And last (for the moment): What thermometer systems works well? I want to measure cooking air temp, and meat temp, and monitor it from the house.

Thank you very much!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Newbie, Lots of Qs

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 am

First of all, WELCOME to the Forum :texas: :salut: I, too, am a newbie when it comes to Pellet Cooking and I've only had my Pit Boss 340 for little over half a year - - HOWEVER, I love it but it is a "learning experience" AND there are lots of well informed and helpful Members here that have been Pelletizing for a long time and have been more than helpful with my problems.

I am qualified to answer only one of your questions and that is YES, you can get a good Pellet Cooker for a less than $1000. Here in Texas Academy Sporting Goods had the Pit Boss 820 for sale at $499 not long ago.

Just do like I did and ask lots of questions and these Members will make your Pellet life a lot simpler :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 am

One more thing and I'll get out of the way and let the more qualified members comment.
I googled that Pit Boss 820 at Academy in your area and it seems that at least one of your (looks like three) stores has this in stock if you'd like to swing by there and do a touchie feelie and see how well built they are.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pit-bos ... id=4099156

As I mentioned there are lots of good brands out there like Trager, Rec Tec and etc but my only experience is with my smaller Pit Boss and I'm very pleased.

You might also browse this thread on the Forum for a lot of comments and information.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Welcome Lenniepi,
While you're at Academy... pick up the Old Country Pecos for $399 or $499 (big swing, I just don't remember). Or the Old Country Brazos for right around 799-899.
They are welded together and make for a decent pit. Easy to get to. Check all the seams and welds before you pay... make sure the doors will open and close smoothly and snugly.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”