Hi from Philaldephia

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wssrstrm
Pilgrim

Hi from Philaldephia

Postby wssrstrm » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am

Hey, folks. New member from Philly here. I've lived on the east coast for 15 years but I'm originally from Houston, TX where I developed my love of BBQ at Goode Company.

It used to be I only expected to eat Texas BBQ in Texas. But over the past 10 years or so Texas BBQ made its way out east in a whole new way. (I think it probably has something to do with the explosive growth of SXSW in Austin, leading the outside world to begin to discover Texas, but that's a topic for a whole different post). The result is that there are now a handful of pretty decent spots for Texas-style BBQ in Philly and New York. The biggest one, a chain all over NYC called Hill Country, is openly modeled on Kreuz in Lockhart.

And while those are welcomed developments, it's also true that eating at these places (so far, anyway) really only serves as a reminder that there's much better BBQ out there. And I don't mean to knock them, they're professionals, and they do a good job--it's pretty decent! But I can't help but feel like I'm at the Disneyland version of a BBQ joint, shelling out $60 per person, with all the Texas kitsch plastered all over the walls.

SO. That's why I'm here. I want to be able to make a f-----g unbelievable brisket in my own backyard. I'm on my way: I smoked my first backyard brisket over the weekend and it turned out, well, pretty decent! But I've got a lot to learn from you folks. And I'm looking forward to it.

--
Greg
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Hi from Philaldephia

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:03 am

Welcome aboard and best wishes on your quest. Lots of good info and people on this board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Welcome!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Howdy and Welcome - - - make yourself at home - - I think you'll find the Members here to be some of the most knowledgeable and helpful anywhere around so ask away and Happy Q'n to ya :texas: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Is that a new country? Just kidding. Welcome and show some pics. You will find many knowledgeable and friendly folks here, even if you are North of the Red River. :D :D :D
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 am

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Welcome NEIGHBOR !!

Now I don't feel so alone ! :):)
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Welcome from New Mexico, New guy here myself.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”