SC Newbie

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Carp
Pilgrim

SC Newbie

Postby Carp » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 am

Hello everyone. I'm joining from the Greenville SC. I love me some good barbecue and have been dabbling in smoking for the past 10 years. Done the whole chip packet on a gas grill, 2 zone charcoal grill with wood chips, and even have the dreaded Orion cooker. Have probably put close to 500 lb of Boston Butt through it over the years, a few pork loins and at least 2 dozen turkeys. Family and friends love the food that I pull off of it. In fact, my wife won't let me fry a turkey anymore, only smoked. My biggest "complaint" is that the Orion struggles to create a bark, there's just too much moisture, but the meat is really good.

I joined because I really like the Central Texas style of barbecue and want to tackle and perfect brisket. I've been fortunate enough to spend about 2-3 weeks a year in Texas for work, and loved the access to good Q and Brisket. Unfortunately, those trips are over with the recent new job. I've been working with the acquisitions department at home for permission to buy an offset smoker, probably something like the Old Country Pecos or the like. I realize the limitations of the Orion and want to graduate to real barbecue. Any advice would be welcome. I also just joined the BBQ-Brethren forum, so if this looks familiar, I'm sorry. Figure there might be some overlap in the forums.

Now, to thank you for reading my long-winded introduction, here are some pics from one of my 16lb Boston Butt cooks in the Orion.

There are 2 hunks of meat in there, you can barely see the bottom one.

All lit up

The Payoff!

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: SC Newbie

Postby limey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 am

Big Welcome, that is a cool looking smoker!
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
canadian smoker USER_AVATAR
Canadian Smoker
Rustler

Postby Canadian Smoker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 am

welcome gif.gif
welcome gif.gif (107.58 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
Tools:
Horizon Marshal 20" RD Special Offset
22" Weber Master Touch (limited edition smoke color)
Large BGE
Napoleon Gasser

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe,and it has a longer shelf life."
Frank Zappa"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Howdy and Welcome, Carp :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Arto
Pilgrim

Postby Arto » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Welcome looks Good
ART O
Suffolk County NY
New to Smoking
http://www.longislandroofwashers.com
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Howdy carp. I have been wondering about those Orion cookers. Is that 1 butt cut in half or 2 smaller butts on the meat picture. What diameter is the cook grate. I look forward to hearing from you. I look forward to seeing mote of that Orion too.
Carp
Pilgrim

Postby Carp » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

JustinCouch wrote:Howdy carp. I have been wondering about those Orion cookers. Is that 1 butt cut in half or 2 smaller butts on the meat picture. What diameter is the cook grate. I look forward to hearing from you. I look forward to seeing mote of that Orion too.

Justin,

The cook was actually 2 8 lb boston butts, but I can't remember if the finished product picture was one or both butts pulled together. The cooking grate is close to 2 feet in diameter, if my memory serves. I could look tonight when I get home, but I do know that it's close to the size of a turkey fryer.

The Orion is a neat little cooker. It cooks through a convection cook, similar to a boy scouts dutch oven, with the wood chips on the inside and the charcoal on the outside. The wood chips smolder inside, giving it the smoky flavor. It produces very moist meat (considering that it's basically a sealed unit when cooking), with decent smoky flavor. It' won't give smoke rings to the meat or crispy bark. The best part about it is that the Boston Butts in the pic took about 3.5 hours to cook and I can cook a whole turkey in about 2.5 hours by lighting it and coming back in the allotted time. It will never win any decent barbecue competitions, but it impresses a lot of people with the quality of the meat it puts out in the short time.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Welcome; some smart BBQ'ers here

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”