New member - Spring, TX

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokeymcsmoke USER_AVATAR
SmokeyMcSmoke
Pilgrim

New member - Spring, TX

Postby SmokeyMcSmoke » Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Hey Y'all! I'm in Spring, TX. We've been in TX since 2000 and smoking since 2004.

My previous smokers have been Academy Sports smoker specials in the $200-500 range. Today I just picked up a GMG Jim Bowie (w/o wifi). It's currently burning in :)

My son has already prepped a rack of baby backs and we're gonna test it out tonight. I'm excited to get em done and see what this pellet cookin is all about!

See y'all around!

Don
Attachments
15276272830231892412027.jpg
Don
Spring, TX
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: New member - Spring, TX

Postby TX1911 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue May 29, 2018 5:45 pm

A big welcome. I'm old enough to remember when Spring was Spring, Tamina was Tamina, and all in between wasn't referred to as " The Woodlands'. You might get a 1488 out of people. We're glad to have you and hope you're active.

From the deep Pineywoods,

Rambo
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Howdy and Welcome - - - as far as the Pellet Pooper goes just be patient, it's a learning process, and always remember the longer you cook on Low/Smoke the more smoke flavor you'll have. Good Luck :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Rambo wrote:A big welcome. I'm old enough to remember when Spring was Spring, Tamina was Tamina, and all in between wasn't referred to as " The Woodlands'. You might get a 1488 out of people. We're glad to have you and hope you're active. Rambo

AND 1960 was "Jack Rabbit Road" :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
SmokeyMcSmoke
Pilgrim

Postby SmokeyMcSmoke » Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
Rambo wrote:A big welcome. I'm old enough to remember when Spring was Spring, Tamina was Tamina, and all in between wasn't referred to as " The Woodlands'. You might get a 1488 out of people. We're glad to have you and hope you're active. Rambo

AND 1960 was "Jack Rabbit Road" :laughing7: :lol: :D

There's a small section of Jack Rabbit Rd left off of 290 still ☺
Don
Spring, TX
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:57 am

Welcome to the party. :mrgreen:

I think you'll find pellet grills easy to work with. OUP gave you the big key already; low and slow. I've gotten amazing flavor out of my Rec Tec cooking at 180.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 am

I must admit that I learned "everything" I know about Pellet grilling from Papa Tom and some others that have been in Pellet School a lot longer than I have. :salut: Don't be afraid to ask "any" questions no matter how insignificant you think they may be -- - we have members here that are not only knowledgeable but very willing to help. :tup:
SmokeyMcSmoke
Pilgrim

Postby SmokeyMcSmoke » Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks everyone.

Our ribs came out pretty good last night. I had to put a rush on the cook at the end because it was 11pm..lol. They weren't as tender as I prefer but the meat pulled off the bone clean with a soft tug.

I ran to HEB last night and got a pork butt and 2 fresh whole chickens. Chickens brined overnight and Butt was seasoned and wrapped. I put the butt on the smoker about 4 this morning and will put the chicks on in a second.

ROUND TWO!
Don
Spring, TX
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 am

Probably should have mentioned last time there are a few tricks specific to ribs. That's what I get for posting when I'm brain dead level tired, LOL. the 3 2 1 method is fairly popular for getting ribs tender and is fairly common in competition now by my limited understanding:

https://barbecuebible.com/2015/01/20/3-2-1-method-ribs/

I've had limited luck with it myself. The braising and spritzing with cider made the ribs too sweet for me, and I like a little bit of bark on mine too. I may give it another spin with a less sweet liquid though.

Good luck with the pork butt and chicken. :tup: Let us know how it goes.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
Grillseeker
Pilgrim

Postby Grillseeker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:47 am

Welcome! :salut: Looking forward to more updates on how your pellet smoker is working out for you. Haven't done much with them myself.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”