Howdy

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jonmarktx USER_AVATAR
JonMarkTX
Pilgrim

Howdy

Postby JonMarkTX » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm

New member, and pretty new to the world of grilling/smoking. My name is Jon, and I'm down in Victoria. My father in-law bought me a starter grill this past Christmas, so I've only had less than a year's worth of experience. I'm using as Kingsford Sierra Smoker - and up until this past week I only grilled on it, and hadn't smoked, I'd been intimidated to try out the smoker part of it.

I'm pretty confident with my chicken leg quarters, burgers, beef fajitas, and beef ribs ... this past weekend I attempted my first brisket. Kept it simple by only seasoning with salt, pepper, and Montreal steak seasoning. Smoked it at 250 until internal temp reach around 150, then wrapped it and put it in the oven until internal temp was around 200-205. These was all under the direction of my father in-law, when he came to visit for a couple days. I'm thinking of changing the method a bit, as I'd like to keep it in the smoker longer, and probably not trim as much fat off as he instructed - it was a tad dry.

However, I've been searching smoker tips the last few days because I can't wait to smoke another one! Came across this forum from google, and figured what better place to learn and sharpen my skills. Looking forward to learning from y'all!
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Howdy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Welcome! There's plenty to learn from the folks here. You chose a great place.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Howdy and Welcome, Jon, you won't have any problem getting Brisket tips and advice here - - - there's hardly a day go by that someone isn't posting a Brisket Cook. :chef: :texas:

Victoria, brings back many good memories for me. My Grandfather was Station Supt at TBT Compressor Station down by Bloomington and I spent many Summer's with he and Granny there. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:54 pm

You can learn a lot on here. I know I owe a lot to the guys on here as they have helped me elevate my cooking for sure.

Welcome to the Madness

From San Anton
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Howdy from The Pineywoods
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:56 am

Welcome to the forum !! :salut: :salut:
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Howdy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 am

Welcome my brother of bbq!

lol all i can say is practice makes perfect And knowing how to use your tool of the trade, your pit of choice, is paramount.

I would question the 150 mark for wrapping....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”