New guy from Pittsburgh here!

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Dangermichael
Pilgrim

New guy from Pittsburgh here!

Postby Dangermichael » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 am

Hi everyone!

I'm Michael and I live in Pittsburgh. I started smoking this Spring and have really enjoyed the learning process and challenge and especially the satisfaction of producing food that myself and my guests enjoy.

I have a char broil commercial infrared grill and a masterbuilt thermotemp Xl right now BUT in two days my Traeger Timberline 1300 will arrive! I also got plenty of Grill Grates for searing and almost every type of traeger wood pellets for options. Also picked up a ceramic chicken throne for beer can chicken. My go-to rubs are simple salt and pepper for things like brisket and then I use various Meat Church or Killer Hogs products as well.

My favorite things to cook are briskets, ribs (mainly pork but I love beef ones too), pork belly (love burnt ends!) wings, pork butts, burgers and dogs. I'm really looking forward to expanding more into desserts and sides and improving my techniques.

One thing I'm having difficulty doing is planning for when I want to cook multiple things that require various temps. My plan is to get rid of my current grill and smoker and just rely on the Timberline. If anyone has insight into how to manage juggling things like ribs, pork belly, and corn all at the same time on the same grill then that would be awesome. I would love if I could do multiple foods and have them ready at the same time and any help is greatly appreciated!

Attaching a few pics of recent cooks (salmon, prime rib roast, brisket, pulled pork)
Attachments
20180825_190210.jpg
20180728_175504.jpg
20180904_183141.jpg
20180815_180943.jpg
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: New guy from Pittsburgh here!

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 am

Oh boy , another Keystone State Yankee on board :):)
Big welcome Neighbor, you'll really like it here. Were outnumbered for sure but all the ladies and gents on here are very very hospitable. Look forward to your posts and suggestions as well.
P.S, watch out for this guy named Emmett, goes by the code name O.U.P..
He's obsessed with finding new ways to ( plug up ) a beer can chicken if u know what I mean lol...

Ok, with that, he'll SOON chime in ! :)

Seriously, welcome, this is a great place.
Also, check out the forum sponsors products, " Sucklebusters "...
The best you will find.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 am

Welcome to the forum Mike great lookin' grub ya got there...

First I'll suggest you not get rid of the grill right away while others will differ with me I believe Traeger makes a decent smoker but lousy grill. You will form your own opinion but keep the Char Broil 'til then.

You will have a learning curve getting to know the pellet cooker but there are many posts on this forum that will help.
Don't be afraid to ask questions there are plenty of experienced and helpful smokers adrift on the raft here. OUP will even show up.....!

Try Sucklebusters spices and sauces you will be transported to Texas nirvana.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Very nice looking grub. Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dangermichael
Pilgrim

Postby Dangermichael » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! Nice to meet you all
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Howdy and Welcome, Michael, trust me I'm harmless BUT this must be Pick on the Old Man Day - - - that grub looks great, especially the Fish and Jalapenos :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:33 pm

" . OUP will even show up.....! "

Lmao, we love ya Emm :):)

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:27 am

Not bad looking cooks. :D

Once you get the Traeger, you should be able to get a better smoke ring on the meat. If you can get meat that juicy on the other grills though, getting the hang of a pellet smoker should be easy for you. :tup:
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
Dangermichael
Pilgrim

Postby Dangermichael » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:16 am

Papa Tom wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike great lookin' grub ya got there...

First I'll suggest you not get rid of the grill right away while others will differ with me I believe Traeger makes a decent smoker but lousy grill. You will form your own opinion but keep the Char Broil 'til then.

You will have a learning curve getting to know the pellet cooker but there are many posts on this forum that will help.
Don't be afraid to ask questions there are plenty of experienced and helpful smokers adrift on the raft here. OUP will even show up.....!

Try Sucklebusters spices and sauces you will be transported to Texas nirvana.....

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to hang on to the grill at least until the Spring. I'm excited to see how much Grill Grates improves the traeger
Dangermichael
Pilgrim

Postby Dangermichael » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:18 am

rms827 wrote:Not bad looking cooks. :D

Once you get the Traeger, you should be able to get a better smoke ring on the meat. If you can get meat that juicy on the other grills though, getting the hang of a pellet smoker should be easy for you. :tup:

Thanks! I've seen some amazing food come off the Traeger so I'm really hopeful I can get my food to that level. Having a great smoke ring is definitely something I am looking forward to
Dangermichael
Pilgrim

Postby Dangermichael » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Howdy and Welcome, Michael, trust me I'm harmless BUT this must be Pick on the Old Man Day - - - that grub looks great, especially the Fish and Jalapenos :tup: :salut:

Nice to meet you!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 am

Don't forget to give us pictures when your Traeger get's in
Dangermichael
Pilgrim

Postby Dangermichael » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:53 am

Rambo wrote:Don't forget to give us pictures when your Traeger get's in

For sure! It's coming today and I'm excited as can be.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 am

Big Welcome, :D
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am

Yet another big welcome from the Lone Star State.
I'm in the camp with Papa Tom, I'd keep any and all cookers period. I have a vertical, a horizonal and a 55 gal. drum grill. My wife's family is quite large when they all show up, like 26 of them and that's just her family. Trying to time out cook times and temps it's just easier on multiple units. We regularly have 30-50 guest and I can assure you all 3 cookers are put into service. Like anything in life there is a learning curve. When we first moved into our current home these gatherings were a BIG challenge for me, now she says we are having everyone over on this or that day. I just ask for a hard number a week out. Gather the needed supplies earlier in the week, set the cookers in position that morning and let the smoke roll.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”