Clogged Auger

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jkarlovich USER_AVATAR
JKarlovich
Pilgrim

Clogged Auger

Postby JKarlovich » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 am

Does anyone know how to unclog a auger on a pit boss? YouTube videos only show Traeger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Clogged Auger

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:26 am

I've only had to do it one time. Once I started cleaning my Pit Boss after "every" cook and haven't had any further problems.
All I had to do was grip the auger with some water pump pliers and wiggle it back and forth "just a little" - - I also used a piece of coat hanger to probe from both directions. Good Luck :salut:

I imagine there will be more replies as soon as folks check in so you might want to wait and see what Papa Tom and others have to offer also. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Well I've not had that issue on the PB but have a few times on the model "T".
Admittedly it is probably a little tougher on the PB because you don't have as much room getting to the auger works but I'm sure it is doable.
First I'd have to know what jammed the auger, on the "T" it was always "burn back" in the auger tube and that shouldn't be a problem on the PB except in the event of a power failure when it is hot.

In any event though I'd approach it like OUP and unhook the auger from the motor gearbox and wiggle it free after cleaning out the firebox then try to use the auger as a tool to push out whatever is the clog.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jkarlovich USER_AVATAR
JKarlovich
Pilgrim

Postby JKarlovich » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:56 pm

I was able to get the auger but what a pain in the rear!! Live and learn!

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:41 pm

JKarlovich wrote:I was able to get the auger but what a pain in the rear!! Live and learn!

Welcome to our world! The good news is that with proper care and maintenance these events are rare..... :mrgreen:
tarde venientibus ossa....
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 pm

I have found three things that tend to clog my pellet pooper, cheap pellets, leaving pellets in the hopper for an extended period (they will swell from rain and humidity even if covered), and not cleaning out the smoker frequently. I use a shop vac and clean it after every extended smoke now. Never jammed on me again, knock on wood.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”