First post

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

aquaman USER_AVATAR
Aquaman
Pilgrim

First post

Postby Aquaman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:43 pm

Hello from Nebraska. We don't cook as well as Texans here, but we're willing to learn.

I have an electric smoker made by a company called Cookshack and it's made in some place called Oklahoma.

I'm not very creative using it. I put a few chips of applewood in the little metal box, then I either put pork chops with salt or fish covered with lemon pepper on the grates and let 'er fly. The food always comes out pretty good (if I don't leave it in too long) but I can't help but think I'm missing the boat by not trying something better.

Does anybody have an idea of a relatively simple and inexpensive use to sample something different? Perhaps a beef or chicken recipe?

Thanks in advance.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Welcome Aquaman. I'm sure you'll get a lot of information forthcoming. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:05 pm

I almost bought a Cookshack but nded up getting a WSM. The one thing I didn't like about the CS was that the grates were only 14" square. I know a lot of people that love them though. In fact, I just acquired a Sausagemaker E'Lectric smoke house I intend on using strictly for sausage. 8)

Welcome to the board. :)
aquaman USER_AVATAR
Aquaman
Pilgrim

Postby Aquaman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:07 pm

I've tried sausage too. Just put them on the grates and leave them for about six hours on a fairly low temp. I'm really popular with my neighbors when I make sausages because I make more than I can eat.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:09 pm

Welcome Aquaman, this board has all representations of good Q. Kansas, Colorado, Texas, etc.....lots o good info around here, sit back, relax and enjoy!
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:10 pm

We got more Buckeys than anything else especially if you use a weighted average of post counts! :D
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Dallas wrote:We got more Buckeys than anything else especially if you use a weighted average of post counts! :D

Unfortunately, so far, Buckeye post's have been just as good as their Bowl play last monday....... :lol: :shock: :lol:
aquaman USER_AVATAR
Aquaman
Pilgrim

Postby Aquaman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm redirecting the thread to "Smokers" category. Thanks for the welcome. See you there!
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:44 pm

Hey aquaman, welcome aboard. I used to live in Lincoln back in the mid 80s. I was a manager for Godfathers Pizza there.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Well that explains all those great looking pizzas you turn out on your Stumps!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:52 pm

Welcome Aquaman! I was at Cookshack last month for a Fast Eddy class.
They make a very good product and have great customer service. I think you'll be happy with your smoker. Sounds like you need some recipes. Here is a link to a couple of great books:

Peace, Love, & Barbecue

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Love-Barbec ... F8&s=books

BBQ USA

http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-USA-Recipes-A ... F8&s=books

Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Kirks-Champi ... F8&s=books

That ought to keep you busy for a while. Good reading too!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Re: First post

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:15 pm

Aquaman wrote:Hello from Nebraska. We don't cook as well as Texans here, but we're willing to learn.

I have an electric smoker made by a company called Cookshack and it's made in some place called Oklahoma.

I'm not very creative using it. I put a few chips of applewood in the little metal box, then I either put pork chops with salt or fish covered with lemon pepper on the grates and let 'er fly. The food always comes out pretty good (if I don't leave it in too long) but I can't help but think I'm missing the boat by not trying something better.

Does anybody have an idea of a relatively simple and inexpensive use to sample something different? Perhaps a beef or chicken recipe?

I would agree with the comment about bbq being better in Texas. However, run up to Fremont to the the Fremont meat market and grab a case of bacon wrapped fillets. They'll melt in your mouth. Nothing beats that corn fed beef up in your area. Welcome. :D
Thanks in advance.
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
aquaman USER_AVATAR
Aquaman
Pilgrim

Postby Aquaman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Thanks again for the welcomes. I've switched this thread over to the "smokers" area, and I'd like to know if someone has a simple recipe for some tasty chicken breasts, preferably something that will keep them tender. :D

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”