Smokey Bones BBQ Closed

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Smokey Bones BBQ Closed

Postby OSD » Mon May 07, 2007 1:58 pm

I just heard on the news that they closed up nation wide. Closed 53 places and have the remaining 70 some places for sale. :shock: I've never eaten at one, so I don't know if they were any good. :dont: There was not one close to where I live. I'm guessing the parent company probably did them just like they did China Garden, ran them in the ground. Good at first, then food and service quality went by the way side. The same company that owned them also owns Red Lobster and Olive Garden and some others. Darden was parent company.
Anyone eaten at one?
Jim
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Tue May 08, 2007 8:07 am

I've never eaten at one. They were only in the Eastern half of the country. But i was reading a guys review of one out in the Carolinas and he gave it rave reviews. He said "simply the best pork barbecue I've had in twenty years!"

here's his review: http://hkentcraig.com/BBQ46.html
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Wed May 09, 2007 10:56 am

They have 2 here in Dayton. One closed and the other is for sale. I ate at the one that is for sale twice. It wasn't too bad. I never heard anything good about the one that closed.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim
Location: Currently Pensacola, FL but Fort Worth will allways be home

Postby pcolamike » Sat May 19, 2007 8:22 am

We had one here in P'cola, that we would go to before I got back into Q'n myself. I did like their ribs, but the brisket was terrible.
hex USER_AVATAR
Hex
Pilgrim

Postby Hex » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:49 am

Ate once at the one in North Houston (Willowbrook).
Place was just too cute by half. Too expensive, (I suspect that and the que was the real downfall- at least in Texas)
Can't even remember what we all had. I had beef brisket. Not good. Too dry, poor presentation etc. Honestly do not recall the sauce which in itself means it was forgettable....obviously. :P
My guests had ribs and I believe a chop beef. Beautiful building and decor. BIG bar, lots of $$ money spent on layout. Sorta northwest mountain cabin or hunting lodge decor.
Never went back. Never intended to.
Definately NOT TeXas style food.

AND NO PEARL or LONE STAR beer. Plenty of chichi-ego brews though..Sam Adams, etc.
NO RC Cola. NO bottled Root Beer.
NO Banana Moon Pies. NO Pay Day Bars.
NO cherry peppers. NO wonder...

Bankruptcy serves em right. :roll:

HeX
dub'
Cowboy

Re: Smokey Bones BBQ Closed

Postby dub' » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:24 am

OSD wrote: ...The same company that owned them also owns Red Lobster and Olive Garden and some others. Darden was parent company.

Woo hoo! Now if we could make it 3 for 3!
Good riddance to crappy chains. :twisted:
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:57 am

Had one in Maine, Bangor, and it closed bout 2 months ago....never ate there as it wasn't open all that long, but customers from that area tell me it was pretty good....owned by the same group that owns the Olive Gardens chain....had heard they were closin nationwide....
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:12 am

I ate at one in Chicago Ridge, IL. The ribs weren't too bad. They had a variety of ribs. Spares, BBs, Kansas City style, St. Louis Style, riblets and a variety of sauces.

The thing that turned me off was the TVs. It seemed like they tried to make it a sports bar atmosphere in a restaurant. Maybe I'm wrong but when I go to a restaurant I like to talk to the wife and friends. Not have a dozen or more tvs blasting with football, baseball, pool, poker, auto racing, tennis, etc. Bad place for conversation.

It just didn't feel like a BBQ joint. I wasn't expecting a Famous Dave's BBQ Dive atmosphere but it could have been better.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”