The worst ever !

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

The worst ever !

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 pm

I went to Conroe today so see my youngest son's new business and he took us to their favorite B-B-Q place and it was absolutely the worst I have ever eaten. Believe it or not, it was even worse than mine. I don't want to get into a law suit or subject this Forum to any undo hardships so I'll just say that it is east of Conroe NUFF SAID
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Re: The worst ever !

Postby txngent » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:06 pm

There are a few going East of 45 to Cleveland. I have been to one of the new joints in Conroe off the loop, "Sticky Ribs" and it is good as long as the kids are not working it. The pit bosses go to events so that is just the way it is. There is a father n son finally going into the old Luther's "Bruno's". They are out of Louisiana, haven't tried them yet. Don't care for the McK's... had too many boiled ribs there. One joint on the north loop closed down not even being in business a year... now it is a Oriental BBQ joint :dont:
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 pm

This place wasn't on the loop but east of it on 105 - - - - the ribs I had today were probably boiled now that you mentioned it. I would have never been able to eat them with out a knife to slice the meat off of the bone. BUMMER BIG TIME :(
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Should have took him up the road to Huntsville...New Zion was open today
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah, I know, I kept telling the Wiffy that we past the best B-B-Q in this neck-o-the-woods twice today. Won't happen again, I promise. Do you know what New Zion's hours are?
95sportster USER_AVATAR
95sportster
Pilgrim

Postby 95sportster » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 pm

txngent wrote: "Sticky Ribs" and it is good as long as the kids are not working it.

I tried their beef-n-link PoBoy and it was no bueno. Sausage wasn't even warm, and tasted like it had been boiled. Beef wouldn't have won any awards either. Think I'll stick with McK's for PoBoys....but then again, variety is the spice of life! Little shack on S.Frazier has some decent bbq too!
95sportster

Smokin' Dragon 40"X18" with a 20"X18" FB...finally!
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:37 pm

I liked Smokey Mo's in Willis off 75, but it's a crap shoot like all the others we mentioned. The shack off S. Frazier is good most of the time, he has a place going out of Conroe east on 105. I like the one off Frazier better. My mom and dad gave me some left over ribs from McK's. I had them in the truck and went into HEB for some stuff before going home. Now you know that everyone knows that leftover bbq in the warm truck you are going to open the door to a great smokey smell. It smelt like dry cat food! McK's would have to get the vote for overall normal and consistent food. Vernon's going towards the lake is okay too. I like Sticky Ribs... again, only if the adult pit boss is there. I think the problem is, the ones that don't have a consistent schedule don't know how to manage their product. We went to Sticky Ribs once on a Friday (pit boss was off doing a gig), the ribs were left over from lunch... potatoes were dark gray in the middle (sure sign of old cooked potatoes).

I love it when bbq joints try to cover their overcooked ribs by saying, "they are so tender they are falling off the bone". Guys, we are all cursed by knowing too much about good q! :dont:

I have told folks before, "It's not as good as a McRib"! :whiteflag:
Randy
nichocha33
Pilgrim

Postby nichocha33 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Im going to go ahead and say the one on 105 east that was terrible was Jacks BBQ!?!?!?! I also think the "shack" on Frazier AKA Genes Hickory Hut is the best in Conroe. Zachs in Willis is pretty decent, also. McKenzies is ehhhh but its consistent.

Chad
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Give that man a cigar! I like Gene's pork loin sandwich with slaw on top. X2 on Jacks.
Randy
nichocha33
Pilgrim

Postby nichocha33 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Genes Is Great and always served with a smile for a good price. I wish he would get him an a/c building though! Lol. Sometimes I feel like I wanna sit there and smell the smoke but its sooooo hot right now!
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:24 pm

NO A/C! That would make him too civilized and then he would start to conform to the other guys! Next thing you know he would have a salad bar! :mrgreen:
Randy
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:44 pm

I can eat bbq and breath cool air at the same time...can i get a baked potato filled with chopped q?
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
jimpeterson
Pilgrim

Postby jimpeterson » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi, Guys...I like to lay in the background, gathering information from all you Texans, but I just read something Bandolero said awhile ago, and I quote: "Guys, we are all cursed by knowing too much about good q!"...Truer words were never spoken. I don't know too much about anything, but I do know when something tastes good/or bad.
I visited a barbecue joint in Carson City Nevada, a few months ago,named "Q's", and the BBQ brisket tasted like my mother cooked it. Black, dry, nasty.
If you're really lost someday, and happen to wander into Carson City, Nevada...just keep going. A Texan would starve to death here.
jim
Hitched_Gibson
Pilgrim

Postby Hitched_Gibson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Jack's it is. Nastiness. I think the potato salad came from Sam's. I do agree that Gene's is darn good and that McK's is good and very consistent. I've never had a good experience at Sticky Ribs. I went twice to give them a second chance, but it just didn't work out. You can see my reviews on Urbanspoon. Head east on 105 and There's Jesse's BBQ on the right at Cowboy Joe's Produce. Best stuff I ever recall having. His homemade sauce is a unique one that keeps me wondering what's in it. It's all smoked and He has his sausage made, not bought. Glad I found you guys. As long as I've lived here I can't believe I've never been to Vernon's or New Zion. Well, I'll see you around.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Most of the time it is the wrong time of day or week but the Wiffy and I managed to grab a couple of chopped beef sammiches last Saturday at New Zion and we were not disappointed. Even with the white bread, they were "Larapin" (that means GOOD) First time I had managed to stop there in several years and I WILL BE BACK.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”