The worst ever !

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: The worst ever !

Postby Boots » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Straying from the Houston area, and it's been a looooong time since I was there, Angelo's in Fort Worth used to serve up this "brisket" that was cooked to about the consistency of meat pudding. I could have shot it out of my kid's water pistol. The redeeming factor was ice cold frosty huge schooners of beer, and the place is kind of an icon. Might be better now.

And while it's easy to pick on chains (and I only go there when dragged by friends now), the only redeeming quality at Dickie's is the "free" ice cream. Would happily bulldoze the lot of them and put up lube shops, it would improve the neighborhoods.

At least for a chain, Sonny Bryan's does a fair job. The original in west Dallas is still actually pretty good brisket, and it fits my category of a "great" venue - it's a shack and dive where the newest thing in the place is probably 40 years old. My kind of place, been going there since Dad first took me at age 7. Reminds me of that line in in the country song - "I went out to find myself, and I found myself in a bar...".

Just my personal opinions of course.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Hey, UsedParts - You going to Midway in October? Admit I was shocked to see they have a IBCA State Championship there with $5000 guaranteed money. I used to live there - Population was about 300, 500 if you counted all the dogs. Average age was about 60. Must have grown up some.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Check your email - - - - don't do many cookoffs but if the Wiffy's hip surgery is successful we may just gather a crew and come check things out. It would be nice to meet some of the Gang also.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Got it! This Midway (there are evidently several in Texas) is a four way stop town on SH 21 10 miles east of Madisonville and about 20 odd miles west of Crockett, as I recall (haven't lived there since '80). Looking at the calendar I don't think I can make this one even as a spectator, but let me know if you go what you think.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:24 pm

OK, I know exactly where THAT Midway is. Matter of fact there's an old Chevy PU in a pasture there that I need to ask about - - - - 2 birds and one stone maybe? I let you know if we go.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Drive around Midway, particularly up and down OSR, for about 15 minutes, and you'll likely find about 10 old Chevy's in pastures LOL. We lived on the OSR about a half mile west of downtown. As I recall, there was good deer hunting up in Leon County and your way.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:42 pm

We've got several Bambies that eat in our yard - - - I used to put 5 a year in the freezer but now I just shoot pictures.
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Come to California, I'll show you worse, LOL. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, the reasons you listed in your original post are exactly why I didn't name names in my post about the Pork Belly place also.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”