Snows BBQ, Lexington TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Snows BBQ - Lexington Texas

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Great plics. All the Q joints around here use those Southern Pride gassers with log assist. No shortage of thermometers on the those pits. I got two of them on Bowie.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Hey, that's me in line with the plaid shorts and yellow shirt. Left Dallas at 0430, got there at 0730. Some old college friends drove from Austin to meet me there. Enjoyed brisket, sausage, and pork steak. Pork steak was the star that day. Brisket was perfectly cooked, just a tad salty for my taste on this day. One of my good college friends (in the picture also) eats there once a month Saturday mornings said the brisket was a bit saltier than usual this day.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Snow's review 09-17-2011

Postby eltex » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Made it to Snows today, with me and the 3yr old daughter. Got there about 11am, and there was only a couple peeps in line. We got a mess of food, and were seated within 10min of arriving. It had been many months since my last visit, so I was really curious about what might have changed.

The brisket was just outstanding. Of course we ordered it moist, and they cut us some wonderful slices right off the fat side. I think that maybe they could cook these for an hour or two less, due to the small overall size of the briskets I saw, but I'm guessing they start with small briskets, and what we see are the results. Either way, it is outstanding. A nice layer of flavorful bark covered the tender and juicy meat inside. We put it on some bread, and it made a wonderful sandwich. The sauce, like most places, is not worth using, so just stick to the brisket.

The ribs were way overcooked, and barely edible. The thinner parts of the rib meat had almost turned to jerky texture, and couldn't be chewed. I checked yelp for recent reviews, and I see that others have mentioned the poor ribs. I typically judge BBQ joints by my two favorite meats, brisket and ribs. Snow's gets a 5+ stars on the brisket, but a 1 star rating on the ribs. It makes it difficult to give an overall review.

The chicken was tasty and somewhat moist, but the skin was a little too crispy, and was better just pulled away from the meat and discarded. The pork steak was very good, as usual, and we tried the little pecan pie servings they had from a local bakery, and they were very good.

The surprising thing was the crowd, or lack of crowd. I was expecting a much longer line, but as others have mentioned, perhaps the fame of Franklins has surpassed Snows, and we are rewarded with much shorter lines as a result. Whatever the cause, I am very happy that I don't have to either call in the day before, or show up at 8am just to get brisket. I did notice they are still using the electro-tender-aged briskets. I am really going to have to find a source on these. The brisket here is just a notch above almost every other place around, and I want to know how much these briskets help.
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 pm

I took a trip out Saturday. Got there about 9:30, and took about an hour to get through the line. Got a couple pounds of brisket, ribs and sausage to bring back home to Elgin. We cut it up at lunch and it was very good. The brisket was very tender and tasty. The cap on the fat side of the brisket isn't as thick as other places, but it is still very good. I don't think it is the best in Texas, but I feel it is still top 3-5 range.

The ribs were very flavorful, and wasn't falling off the bone like it tends to do at Franklin's. I like it both ways, so for me it's not important. The seasonings were very good, though I might prefer a bit more coarse pepper overall. The one thing I seem to notice here is the appearance of the ribs. The underside has that kind of light, almost white, meat color. It's not the most visually appealing look, but it might just be the fat content of the ribs that leads to this. I have seen this at a few other places, but not all.

The sausage to me was just sausage, and wasn't neither awesome or bad.

Overall, I still like coming here on weekends, and I will be back in a few more months to give it another review.
Krw17
Pilgrim

Snows BBQ - Lexington Texas

Postby Krw17 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 pm

I grew up near Lexington and ate at snows a few times before they became famous, good brisket but next time you are there you should get some pork shoulder steaks, now that is a real treat. Sadly I haven't ate there in a couple years due to the overcrowding.
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

I've tried the steaks. the first time I went out a few years back that was all they had left. We got a couple and they were good. I think I prefer their brisket though. It is just very good and tender. I do agree that BBQ is way popular now, and often you get stuck waiting in line to buy some overpriced meats. Snows still charges fair prices, imo.
Raider18
Cowboy

Snows BBQ, Lexington TX

Postby Raider18 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Can't really add anything new, but made my first trip last week. Had brisket, ribs, sausage and pork steak. I would put it in my top 10 for sure. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”