Central Texas BBQ Roadtrip

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Central Texas BBQ Roadtrip

Postby Boots » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Great reviews and much appreciated. I eat Clark's regularly. Great atmosphere and good food. The brisket is in fact generally lean because they use younger beef, but the slow smoke it for like 3 days so it's tender. Some will think its overssmoked but I really like it. Fat's great for adding flavor to the meat, but that doesn't mean I want to make a meal of it. Gimmee the meat, hold the fat. One great add on at Clark's - what I call the Mile High Chocolate Pie, you know, grandma style chocolate meringue pie. I kid you not, it is normally about a foot tall with the meringue (I measured it with my tape from the surface of the plate to the top one time). REALLY good.

The better place in Pilot Point area is actually in Aubrey I think. It's a little red shack in the trees on the east side of SH 377. Think it's called Shade Tree or Post Oak or something like that. They do a nice job, not a world beater, but good.

And now the controversial part. While I know I am being a heretic here, I gotta say it...and fully realizing that I may have to take cover behind a rock and shoot fast and straight after...but I was REALLY dissappointed in Louie Mueller's this summer. Went in specifically to get the big dino beef rib (I had had the brisket about 15 years ago and it was pretty good). So the cook horks out a slab, cuts one off, and the rib comes out, it's about a foot long, looks like a cadillac on the plate; huge, beautful color, crispy bark, and weighs like a couple of pounds. But when I bit into it...it was like 75 percent fat and had ZERO internal flavor. It was like the cheapest stew meat your wife ever brought home from SavOn. I could have sucked it through a straw. Spent the whole time seining the meat out with my fingers like pulling pork. And it wasn't just me, my two compadres who are Texans and have been chewing brisket since the crib had the same experience. We were really pretty beat down from the whole thing, sorta like you would feel if you found out John Wayne rode side saddle.

Now it could be Mueller's just had a bad day. It could be they just had one bad cow. It could be the cook was hung over and didn't get the job done. But what it was, was bad, and I have to say it. I won't be back for the ribs. Would try the brisket next time in fairness, but likely just drive over to Franklin's instead. Pains me to say all this, Mueller's is an icon and all and a piece of Texas heritage, but if my dog had been there she would have got the rib under the table. Alright, anybody that wants to can now let fly at me, I have ducked behind the rock and am locked and loaded.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Rasta
Pilgrim

Postby Rasta » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Day 5 San Antonio, TX to La Grange, TX (Déjà vu All Over Again)

Austin, TX – Franklins BBQ
I picked my buddy up at the San Antonio airport intending to head pretty much straight East picking off a few BBQ places before stopping in La Grange, TX for the night. Plans change. When checking in with my wife on the telephone she asked if I was going back to Franklin’s. At first I said of course not we have new places to hit and then after telling my buddy about my first trip to Franklin’s we altered the GPS and off we went. We arrived around 11:30 am this time and the line was not particularly long, snaking down the stairs and not quite to the parking area. A mobile seller of drinks provided us a couple of Lone Stars to ease the wait. The helpful “advance order” person was tallying orders and told us we would likely not get any ribs which, although disappointing, was expected. Sure enough when we got to the cutting station the ribs were gone so we got a mix of brisket, sausage and turkey. I’m still amazed at the volume of meat that comes on a mixed plates and I warned my partner to pace himself so as not to over-indulge too early…we had more stops to make. As with my visit just two days earlier I found that the brisket was “truly and absolutely amazing” with “a huge layer of bark, super juicy and incredibly tender (both the wet and dry portions”) and “at least ½ pound of brisket included on the plate”. Sausage and turkey were also great and I won’t repeat the earlier reviews I provided on Day 3. This is still the best BBQ I have ever eaten. Overall Score: 5.0 Stars (I would give it 6 stars if that were available)

Austin, TX - J. Mueller’s BBQ
Being only a few minutes away and recalling how good it was we ventured next to J Mueller’s with the hope of showing my buddy one of the beef ribs in real life. Disappointment again as the beef ribs were gone but brisket, pork ribs and sausage were still available. The review was identical to Day 3 with the brisket being the standout winner and a close #2 to Franklin’s. Overall Score: 4.5 Stars

No pictures on the second visit.

Lockhart, TX - Smitty’s
As long as I was retracing my steps I figured it would be efficient to hit Lockhart on the way to Luling so Smitty’s was on the list with the same order as previously with a side of beans added in since I had seen someone working so hard the previous visit sorting the dry beans by hand. The rib was good but less stellar than day 3, beef shoulder was still a bit dry and tough and the sausage was good. The score dropped a bit as the rib had declined. Overall Score: 3.0 Stars

Lockhart, TX - Kruez Market
Last on the Déjà vu trail was Kruez with very similar results to day 3. The rib was the standout and since my buddy had not had the sublime Franklin’s ribs it set the new high water mark. Overall Score: 4.0 Stars

Kyle, TX - Texas Pie Company
I didn’t really need a slice of pie but my buddy did need something to take the edge off of all the BBQ…he is a novice at this so I took him back to the Texas Pie Company. I remembered my wife wishing she had seen the pumpkin pecan pie as we left the place last time and thought it would be wonderful gesture to eat a piece of that and then call here and tell her what she missed out on. My buddy had pecan which was good as well and as I mentioned previously getting a whole pie instead of a mini would make them even better. By the way, my wife didn’t think my rubbing in the pumpkin pecan pie eating was a good of an idea as I did. Overall Score: Not Rated…it wasn’t BBQ

Luling, TX - City Market
It was finally time to stop reliving the past and chart some new ground so we were off to Luling prior to closing time. What a great stop. The brisket was amazing with a superior smoke ring although not quite up to Franklin’s and J Mueller’s very high standards. The sausage was perfect and the rib was outstanding rivaling the most excellent rib of the day at Kruez. The rib’s barky exterior and meat texture was every bit as good as the Kruez rib but lacked just a bit of that salt and coarse pepper spice. Although I don’t put a lot of weight on sauce I will say that I like the orange mustardy sauce that is provided when eating at Luling as it adds and interesting zippy flavor, especially the brisket. Looking at City Markets total offerings it was a very strong contender and I could easily see this being one of my go to spots if I lived in the area. Overall Score: 4.0 Stars (perhaps 4.25 since it was slightly better overall than Kruez)

eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 am

Hey Boots, you are allowed to post bad reviews, even when about the old icons in Texas BBQ. I truly believe that the places like Louie Muellers have a tougher time, since they are making meat that is designed to be served all the way from early lunch to a much later dinner. Franklins basically has to have 100% of their meat ready for a short lunch, and that is it. They simply don't have the capacity to serve dinner, so they have a very repeatable and manageable schedule. I've gotten sausage at Muellers in Taylor that was closer to jerky than sausage. When I am planning on doing a true review of a bbq joint, I try and get the food at 11am when lunch starts. I figure that is the best chance at getting correctly cooked bbq. If you hit a joint at 3pm, sometimes they are out of meat, or you get meat that is dry and overcooked. If you read the reviews on Muellers, you will notice some recent bad reports, and from Snows as well. You don't get many negative comments about Franklins, except the wait, but when you sell out of food before it has time to dry out, you tend to have it easier.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:09 pm

ElTex appreciate the comments. We rolled in right about 11AM, figured it was early enough to beat the crowds, so it should have been prime-time.

In fairness to Mueller's as well, it is indeed a much different thing to cook for the masses versus grubbing up for the home folks 4 to 8 head at a time, and it coulda just been a bad day or a bad cow that particular cut. But bottomline, when you're an icon, everybody sets a high standard for your performance, and if you don't keep it up it people will tend to judge harshly. I will keep an open mind and hit them again for the brisket only, but will really be looking for the A game to make up for the rib. Also looking forward to getting some Franklin's at the next opportunity too.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Rasta
Pilgrim

Postby Rasta » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 am

Day 6 La Grange, TX to Durant, OK

La Grange, TX – Weikel’s Bakery
I thought this would be a cute little bakery hidden away somewhere in La Grange but turned out to be a large convenience store setup with gas pumps. Despite the surprising building the fruit kolaches were quite simply amazing. They are best described as a Danish style dough that has not been “booked” (folded over and over again to make the dough layers flaky). Wonderfully buttery and sweet. I only wish I had brought a few dozen back with me to prove to my family how good they are and satisfy my craving for more. A great first stop of the day. Not Rated…it wasn’t BBQ

La Grange, TX - Prause’s Meat Market
On a previous trip Prause’s produced my favorite sausage. Since then I think I have acquired a preference for the Central Texas style more than the polish style served up at Prause’s which is a very good example indeed. Brisket was very nice with a thick bark but just a little on the dry side. I still like Prause’s because it is such an active traditional meat market in addition to selling great BBQ. Overall Score: 3.0 Stars

Schulenburg, TX - City Market
I arrived just after 11:00 am to make sure I had a shot at all City Market had to offer and got a nice polish style sausage and brisket, no ribs that day. Similar to Prause’s visit except a lesser quality experience with the brisket. A tasty mustard flavor sauce similar in flavor to Luling City Market without the orange color. Probably not worth a return trip for me next time as I didn’t see a lot of promise for an improvement next trip. Overall Score: 2.0 Stars

Giddings, TX - City Market
What a find. City Market – Giddings is a really great stop that had a very authentic atmosphere full of locals enjoying some very good BBQ. Unlike many of my stops that were accustomed to seeing BBQ Road Trip Tourists I got some strange looks as I took pictures of the venue and my food. The brisket and sausage were both very good examples with ample smoke and bark on the tender brisket. The rib offering was outstanding and among the best of the trip. A nice offering of pretty standard sauce that is served warn in a Styrofoam cup. I did learn not to shake the large bottle of vinegar as there is a small hole in the top of the lid. Overall Score: 4.0 Stars (perhaps 4.25 since it was as good as Luling City Market slightly better overall than Kruez)

Lexington, TX - Snow’s BBQ
It was a Friday and, yes, I know Snow’s is only open on Saturday but I had to drive by and snap a photo anyway while wishing I had been able to stay over for a Saturday. Overall Score: Not Rated…it wasn’t open…sad face

Taylor, TX - Louie Mueller
First time through there were no beef ribs so I thought I would give it another try and was successful in scoring a giant example. My first time eating the Louie Mueller beef rib set a high standard that could not be attained on this trip. It looked gorgeous with a thick black crust on all but one side (I had asked for an end cut). Sadly the meat just hadn’t had enough cooking time to produce the perfect melty texture that I had hoped for. The crust and flavor of the meat were exceptional but it was just a bit off of my expectation. The beef rib was so huge I ordered nothing else. Overall Score: 3.5 Stars

ImageImage

Dallas, TX - Off The Bone
I had one final BBQ stop to make before ending the tour and had considered a return for another visit to Lockhart Smokehouse in Oak Cliff where I had tasted some really nice beef shoulder just a few days before, however, Off The Bone was recommended and was very close to the route home I was taking. A nicely converted gas station with a somewhat modern décor it was clear that I was no longer in the Central Texas genre. It became even more clear when I learned the offering included no spareribs, only baby backs, which I ordered along with chopped beef, both of which were served pre-loaded with sauce…I really had exited to classic Central Texas BBQ Trail. The staff here was more than friendly and served up a nice plate of BBQ that reminded me that many styles of BBQ exist and that I must strive to broaden my road trips to include some Memphis and Carolina offerings soon (I live in Kansas City so get to sample those on a very routine basis already). Overall Score: 3.0 Stars

eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:33 pm

I am glad you found the bakery in La Grange. Anytime I am east of Bastrop, I manage a trip there. They make some very good pastries.

I saw your posts on another board, and they had the link to the Frankin's Hitler video. I've watched it, and it is just hilarious. For those that haven't seen it, take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”