Mot's BBQ Augusta Georgia

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Mot's BBQ Augusta Georgia

Postby Big Mike » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:06 pm

I made it to Augusta this afternoon, so I went and had dinner at Mot's Real Pit Barbeque. They serve Chopped Pork, Ribs and Chicken. I had some chopped pork, spare ribs, hash and sweet tea.

Smoker Type - Didn't get a good look, but seems to be a Southern Pride or Ole Hickory.

Wood - Hickory

Hash - Never had hash before. I tried it without rice so I could get the full flavor of just the hash. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It was kinda like pureed pulled pork and gravy. That may be completely wrong but however it is made, it was pretty good. Probably would have been even better with the rice.

Spare Ribs - The ribs had good flavor. I personally prefer a bit more smoke. They were slightly overcooked by competition standards but that doesn't bother me unless they are mush. I am more concerned with the flavor. They had been holding for a while in Saran wrap and some of the rib meat was tough and chewy.

Chopped Pork - The chopped pork was not bad at all. It was tender and moist and had a nice flavor. Again, I personally prefer a bit more smoke flavor.

Sauces - They had 3 sauces that I can remember; Mild, Hot and Sweet. I think he mentioned one other but I forget. I did not try the Sweet. I tried the Mild and the Hot both of which I liked. I liked the Mild better. Again, that is personal preference. I don't care for spicy foods much anymore. They were a nice tomato, vinegar blend with a hint of sweet and of course the hot had a little bit of heat but it wasn't a catch your mouth on fire heat.

All in all, I would go back but I would only get the chopped pork and the hash. Which is what most folks that were there seemed to be eating.

Tomorrow night I am going to give Sconyers BBQ a try.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:44 am

Wow, sounds like some good eats Big Mike...thanks for the review.

I've seen has around but not like you described. Sounds kinda like a red beans and rice consistency...
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:19 am

I did my Officer Basic Course at Ft Gordon, that was years ago. I remember there were more buffets than Q joints, least thats what I recall. Try to keep dry :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:14 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:Wow, sounds like some good eats Big Mike...thanks for the review.

I've seen has around but not like you described. Sounds kinda like a red beans and rice consistency...

Actually, Red Beans and Rice describes Hash and rice almost perfectly.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:15 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I did my Officer Basic Course at Ft Gordon, that was years ago. I remember there were more buffets than Q joints, least thats what I recall. Try to keep dry :D

I checked the phone book and there are quite a few bbq places. No rain in the forecast, it went through before I got here yesterday. This is my first trip to Ft. Gordon. The meeting today was BORING.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:34 pm

I remember if you took a left turn out of the base and went 3 or 4 miles there was a dirt floor bar. Cheap suds, chickwire infront of the stage. Kind smart to mind your own business lest trouble come a calling. Only went there a couple of times.

Those Southern Pride cookers do produce a uniform product. Just can't get past the gas firedness of them. Seems like yuppy-Q at it's best. Stainless steel and all.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”