Best Rib Joints

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Best Rib Joints

Postby HOF » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:29 pm

It's already been mentioned in the get to know you area but here's a special tip:

The Country Tavern is located between Tyler and Kilgore. It's worth a drive to enjoy the old barn atmosphere and cooked to perfection bbq ribs.

The Rib Masters in Whitehouse is a new up and comer. Monday nights is all you can eat for 15 bucks. Their ribs have a sweet flavor. My sons call them rib candy.

Let's hear your secret rib joints. :D
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Best Rib Joints

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:40 pm

HOF wrote:It's already been mentioned in the get to know you area but here's a special tip:

The Country Tavern is located between Tyler and Kilgore. It's worth a drive to enjoy the old barn atmosphere and cooked to perfection bbq ribs.

The Rib Masters in Whitehouse is a new up and comer. Monday nights is all you can eat for 15 bucks. Their ribs have a sweet flavor. My sons call them rib candy.

Let's hear your secret rib joints. :D

My house :lol:
Actually, Oklahoma Joe's and a small place called Johnny's BBQ. Of course the only thing good at Johnny's is their ribs and their brisket sandwiches. They slice the brisket with a meat slicer and put it on a hoagie roll. Plus their fries are always hot...mmm mmm
Techhunter45
Pilgrim

Country Tavern

Postby Techhunter45 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:51 pm

I second that on the Country Tavern. I live north of Dallas but anytime I'm in that area whatsoever I make it a point to stop. However, I was wondering if the ownership had changed or something over the last few years sometime, last time I was there things had changed a little bit, ribs were still great though. Plus the beer store next door is pretty cheap
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Country Tavern

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Techhunter45 wrote:I second that on the Country Tavern. I live north of Dallas but anytime I'm in that area whatsoever I make it a point to stop. However, I was wondering if the ownership had changed or something over the last few years sometime, last time I was there things had changed a little bit, ribs were still great though. Plus the beer store next door is pretty cheap

Nothin like a slab of ribs and an cold six pack to go! :)
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Techhunter,

Sad to say that the previous owner, Lois I think, was killed in a car wreck a while back. The good news is that her son is running it. He ran the one in Shreveport...anyway, I guess he decided to make a few changes to the building but he didnt change the ribs!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Techhunter45
Pilgrim

Postby Techhunter45 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info gator, thats too bad. I had just noticed a few changes like menu and such but definately the ribs were still amazing as always
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:11 pm

In Ohio the best place to get ribs is..................my back yard!

Sad but true! :D
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:19 pm

You ain't visited my backyard yet. :P

I found a 40 seat restaurant for sale for $150k. The wife and I were thinking about it pretty hard, but I think I have decided to hold off for a couple of years. Both of us would like to move away from Dayton once the kids are out of school.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:19 pm

I hear dat! I've tried several places in these here parts and nothin' compares to MBY! 8)
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Big Mike wrote:You ain't visited my backyard yet. :P

I found a 40 seat restaurant for sale for $150k. The wife and I were thinking about it pretty hard, but I think I have decided to hold off for a couple of years. Both of us would like to move away from Dayton once the kids are out of school.

Good decision Mike, stay away from the restaurant business. Highest failure rate of any business in America. Take a small chunk of that money and get into catering. You'll have more fun and can move to where the customers are instead of hoping they'll come to you.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:36 pm

I bought a 6 1/2 x 12 trailer back in may that I set up to do some catering. I really enjoyed the jobs I have done so far and it was pretty good money. Here are a few pics of the trailer. Not the greatest set up, but it gets the job done.

Mike

Eagle River BBQ
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Found this today, RE: Country Tavern.

State of Texas Resolution:

78R12019 MW D
By: Merritt H.R. No. 779
R E S O L U T I O N
WHEREAS, The passing of Lois Mason of Kilgore on February 14, 2003, at the age of 78, has deeply saddened the family and friends of this esteemed restaurateur; and
WHEREAS, Ms. Mason was born on July 16, 1924, in Leesburg; in 1958, she moved to Kilgore where she worked for several restaurants; in 1964, she became a waitress for the Country Tavern, and, after diligently saving her money, Ms. Mason purchased the Country Tavern in 1974; and
WHEREAS, For more than a quarter of a century, Ms. Mason delighted countless Kilgore residents and visitors with her superb country fare; rated one of Texas' best barbecue restaurants by Texas Monthly and Texas Highways, the Country Tavern has attracted people from far and wide, including George Bush, Miss Texas, and Larry Hagman; and
WHEREAS, In addition to being a successful businesswoman, Ms. Mason was a devoted wife and caring mother, grandmother, and great grandmother, as well as a valued member of the Kilgore community; and
WHEREAS, Lois Mason's legacy can be found not only in the successful Country Tavern, but also in her lasting, positive impression on her family and many friends, and her spirit will forever shine brightly within their hearts; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED, That the House of Representatives of the 78th Texas Legislature hereby pay special tribute to the life of Lois Mason and extend sincere sympathy to the members of her family: to her husband, Bob Mason; to her son and daughter in law, Richard and Patty Pilgrim; to her daughter in law, Jeannie Pilgrim; to her three sisters, Ruth Morris, Betty Munn, and Martha Lively; to her three brothers, Willie Hood, David Hood, and Billy Hood; to her nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren; to her nieces and nephews; and to her other relatives and friends; and, be it further
RESOLVED, That an official copy of this resolution be prepared for her family and that when the Texas House of Representatives adjourns this day, it do so in memory of Lois Mason.
Gator

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:07 pm

Well since I got kin which lives close to Missouri somebody gonna have to show me if any species of good bbq can be found in NE Texas. They cook on Pine up there and eat grits on the side ya know?

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:31 am

Big Mike, I like the set up.

BW, The "good" BBQ joints in East Texas are hard to find, but there if you know where to look. The Country Tavern is motherhood and apple pie for most East Texans - maybe we was just deprived of good 'que and dont know no better. :lol:

But one thang is fo sho - I will drive 2 hours outta my way just to have a pound of those bad boys. :D 8)
Gator

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:52 pm

Well I gonna have to invite you over to have ribs sometime so you know whut they supposed to taste like.

bigwheel

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”