Suggestions Needed for a Hill Country BBQ Crawl

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Re: Suggestions Needed for a Hill Country BBQ Crawl

Postby cowboydon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Taylor Texas - LM - $29.00 For 1 1/4 lb Beef Rib a small potato Salad (real small) and 2 Root Beers - But I am not doing it for lunch daily so I figured what the heck. But reality is thats high dollar beef rib. It beats what the Dallas joints are selling with the exception of Pecan Lodge.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 pm

cowboydon wrote:Taylor Texas - LM - $29.00 For 1 1/4 lb Beef Rib a small potato Salad (real small) and 2 Root Beers - But I am not doing it for lunch daily so I figured what the heck. But reality is thats high dollar beef rib. It beats what the Dallas joints are selling with the exception of Pecan Lodge.

Yep, I've had a couple different places serve a $30 lunch, with just a beef rib and a side with a soda. That is robbery, imo. I do understand they might be sourcing high quality cows fed on high quality grains, but there simply isn't a beef rib that can be worth $25.

Head into Austin and hit Franklins, or Stiles Switch. Both offer 2-3 meat plates at a very good price. Of course, waiting in line for 2hrs at Franklins isn't ideal either.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 pm

How about City Market in Luling?
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Rambo wrote:How about City Market in Luling?

I tend to like City Market, but sometimes the brisket can be hit or miss. Sometimes it is pretty tender and tasty, and others it's too tough and could use another couple hours on the pit. The atmosphere is really good, the ribs are interestingly sweet, and the price is pretty fair, or it was about a year ago. Truthfully, most of the lockhart and luling joints have been spotty for me the last few years. IMO, Franklin's, Snow's and others have really spoiled us in the Austin area. The food is really top notch, and really never misses a beat. It helps that they are able to sell out in just a couple hours, while Luling and Lockhart have to have BBQ ready from 11am all the way until dinner time. If you can, do a few back to back from Luling, Lockhart and even R&G in McMahan.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 pm

eltex wrote:
Rambo wrote:How about City Market in Luling?

I tend to like City Market, but sometimes the brisket can be hit or miss. Sometimes it is pretty tender and tasty, and others it's too tough and could use another couple hours on the pit. The atmosphere is really good, the ribs are interestingly sweet, and the price is pretty fair, or it was about a year ago. Truthfully, most of the lockhart and luling joints have been spotty for me the last few years. IMO, Franklin's, Snow's and others have really spoiled us in the Austin area. The food is really top notch, and really never misses a beat. It helps that they are able to sell out in just a couple hours, while Luling and Lockhart have to have BBQ ready from 11am all the way until dinner time. If you can, do a few back to back from Luling, Lockhart and even R&G in McMahan.

Our deer lease is in Junction and the best BBQ we buy is at Cooper's in MASON and Lum's in Junction. we drive right by the original Cooper's in Llano

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”