3 Stacks Smoke and TapHouse, Frisco TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Re: 3 Stacks Smoke and TapHouse, Frisco TX

Postby erbeman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 am

Yes, I too have become a BBQ snob, but Hutchins never disapoints.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:33 am

I really need to get out to Hutchins it seems.
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Postby NDN98 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:06 pm

erbeman wrote:Yes, I too have become a BBQ snob, but Hutchins never disapoints.

Do you ever go to Randy White's in Frisco? The Hutchins family owns that one too. Pretty much the same menu, except they have a few "Manster" named items. Chicken, sausage, ribs, and sides are hard to differentiate from Hutchins, but the brisket and turkey at Hutchins are considerably better. Not sure why :dont:
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:22 pm

NDN98 wrote:
erbeman wrote:Yes, I too have become a BBQ snob, but Hutchins never disapoints.

Do you ever go to Randy White's in Frisco? The Hutchins family owns that one too. Pretty much the same menu, except they have a few "Manster" named items. Chicken, sausage, ribs, and sides are hard to differentiate from Hutchins, but the brisket and turkey at Hutchins are considerably better. Not sure why :dont:

I tried it once. I'll never go back. It wasn't even in the same ball park as Hutchins. The ribs especially were terrible. We both only ate 1 rib and threw 2 away. The sausage was bland and brisket was about a 5 out of 10. Its my understanding they sold that restaurant to Randy White. Either way, it isn't too good.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:29 pm

We were in the area tonight so momma and I decided to give them a shot. I had brisket and smoked sausage with scalloped potatoes and green beans for sides with the chedar biscut. Momma had brisket and pulled pork with mac and cheese and baked beans and some sorta roll biscut thing.

Location, Almost didnt see the sign its behind HOOTERS on Preston in Frisco.

Service not so hot. Guy carving up meats just gives you what he grabs no choice of point or flat, guy scooping up sides didnt much care how much got into the styrofoam container and how much he smeared on the side, drink girl got our teas and never came back me and the guy at the next table just got our own refills.

Food, Briscut was good but I like the point and got the flat, Pulled pork was OK nothing I would drive out of my way to go back for, Now the sausage you know how when you bite into something and it brings back memories? Well I chomped down on this and started to laugh and momma gave me that look. I said try this and tell me what it reminds you of. She took a taste and says I dont know, I say its a Slim Jim!! She says OH I never had one of those. I promise you if you get the hicork smoke sausage there its just a big ol Slim Jim.

Sides, Scaloped spuds were good I would get them again, the green beans I would just toss in the trash on my way past no flavor and big chunks of mushrooms. Mac and cheese was good worth another try, The baked beans were more like a soup way to watery.

Would we go back? Yes if in the area they were still better than the chain joints but probably just get sandwiches next time.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Sounds pretty much like my experience the day they opened. I guess I for sure won't be going back. I'll just drive the 25 minutes to McKinney. Thanks for the post.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:36 pm

I was there Sunday night and picked up two of their Smokehouse pizzas. We both thought there were awesome.

SMOKEHOUSE SPECIAL
Signature creation loaded with smoked brisket, red onion, fresh jalapenos, and a 6 cheese blend over our house BBQ sauce. Topped with fresh hand-torn cilantro.
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:46 pm

That looks amazing!
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:54 pm

erbeman wrote:That looks amazing!

It was! and it only cost $10.50! 3 Stacks posted it to their Facebook page and both of us said we had to try it. My mouth is watering now thinking about it...lol
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Postby NDN98 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Ate there for lunch today with a co-worker. Today, I got the burnt ends, smoked turkey, baby back ribs, and green beans. The baby back ribs were the only thing I was really impressed with. Good smokey flavor and nice glaze. Everything else was just so-so and the turkey didn't have a hint of smoke to it at all. This is the 2nd time I have been there and haven't been overly impressed. The pizza does look good and I might have to try it next time....if I go back.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Slim Jims? That do bring back memories.

Back in my college days, I once had the oil light pop on around Kosse at about 10 at night so I ducked into the only thing open, a little convenience store. Sure enough, I was about a half quart low on oil.

Bad news: convenience store had no oil to sell me. Made me think of that old Karl Malden commercial ("What will you do? What WILL you do?). In a panic, I decided to improvise.

I rolled up to the counter, bought me 4 of those foot long Slim Jim's. I go outside, peel them out of the package, cracked open the hood of my old Camaro ("The Betsy"), and popped off the oil cap. Then holding those 4 ol Slim Jim's up in the light of the neon sign to see, I sorta braided 'em together. Then I held 'em up over the oil filler port, and I begun to twist and squeeze 'em like an old rag. And boy, does the grease ever just come rolling out! Aiyeee! And so I let it drain on down into the block. After about 15 minutes of squeezin' and gruntin', I snatched out the dipstick. Sure enough, I had drained enough grease off in there so I was near topped off to the fill line. I stuck the lid back on, slammed down the hood (woke half the neighbors), and roared off in a shower of pea gravel, leaving a thin trail of blue smoke and a slight hickory scent trailing in my wake. I had dinner to boot, the first ever low-fat Slim Jim's.

Another time, I was near outta gas but made do outta a quart jar of German pickle juice and a half bottle of McIlhenney tobasco sauce.

I swear its true. :mrgreen:
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:33 pm

NDN98 wrote:Ate there for lunch today with a co-worker. Today, I got the burnt ends, smoked turkey, baby back ribs, and green beans. The baby back ribs were the only thing I was really impressed with. Good smokey flavor and nice glaze. Everything else was just so-so and the turkey didn't have a hint of smoke to it at all. This is the 2nd time I have been there and haven't been overly impressed. The pizza does look good and I might have to try it next time....if I go back.

The pizza is the best thing I have had there. It's the best we found in the Plano/Frisco area so far (That isn't saying much). We keep saying maybe we are so spoiled by my BBQ that everything else is mediocre. :dont: We keep looking for Good Que but so far everything we keep finding is meh
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 pm

If I ever go, I'm getting the pizza!!! :cheers:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Big Ed wrote:If I ever go, I'm getting the pizza!!! :cheers:

X2, and that warm potato salad!
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 pm

They are closing for 2 weeks to remodel. Will become a full service restraunt as too many complained of their awkward serving line. I will go more now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”