3 Stacks Smoke and TapHouse, Frisco TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

3 Stacks Smoke and TapHouse, Frisco TX

Postby erbeman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 am

Oh man I'm excited to try this place out.

http://www.3stacksbbq.com/
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

3 Stacks Smoke and TapHouse opening this Friday in Frisco

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 am

Grand Opening today. I think the wife & I may head that way for dinner tonight.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: 3 Stacks Smoke and TapHouse opening this Friday in Frisc

Postby Boots » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Report in w reviews. I'll have up on Kenny's Smokehouse in Plano later this weekend.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Average.

Nice staff but the Q was lacking in flavor.

Brisket - nice smoke ring but didn't have a smoke flavor to it. I added sauce to give it some flavor which is usually a no no for me.

Pulled pork - was surprised / disappointed that this came pre sauced. It seemed to have the best smoke flavor of any of the meat.

Jalapeño Sausage - lacking flavor and jalapeño.

Ribs - biggest disappointment. They had a chipotle glaze that was pretty good but that was the only flavor. Again lacking smoke. Past the bite away from the bone test but were a little chewy after that.

37 beers on tap so that was a good thing.

1lb brisket / 1/2 lb pork / 4 ribs / 1 sausage / 2 sides = $62

Overall it was just ok.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360467314.023663.jpg
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:28 pm

I really, really wanted to like this place. Unfortunately, it was a big dissapointment. As we walked up to the place, we were impressed. It is a really nice looking place with a great outdoor space, and a bar with some 36 different brands of beer on tap.

Now on to the grub. All of the meats are sold by the pound and they have the typical bbq fare. I was with my wife so we each picked a half pound of 2 different meats so we could share. First off we have a half rack of pork ribs. As soon as they weighed it and I took this pic, I lost faith that it was going to be great. I couldn't believe the fat cap on this thing. I didn't take a pic of the side, but there was no smoke ring nor did the rib have any flavor other than the glaze. The only bark on these was on top of the fat. These were the lowest quality ribs that I have ever seen. I had to eat all around the fat on these things. I was also surprised that they didn't cut the ribs at all. I had to cut through them with a butter knife and it wasn't easy.

On to the brisket. It was so bad, that I only ate 1 slice!! It was so fatty, lacked any bark, and had no flavor.

Lets talk about the pulled pork. I absolutely love a good smokey pulled pork with plenty of bark. This had none of the above. They presauced the pork and I didn't care for the sauce. It didn't taste like their house sauce. I've had better pulled pork from a frozen container from Sam's wholesale.

Now the sausage was great! The wife and I both tore into this. We didn't get the jalepeno because my wife doesn't do hot.

Now the sides were pretty good. I had the warm potatoe salad and it was amazing! I also had grilled corn on the cob. It was good but not great. It was a little over done. My wife fell in love with the mac and cheese. It was really thick and creamy like 2 parts velveeta, one part noodles. It was too much for me. They asked us which breads we wanted. I chose normal rolls and my wife choose cheese-garlic bisquits. She wasn't impressed. My rolls were fine. I realized afterwards that they charged us for those rolls. I thought that was kinda ridiculous. The sides were $2.50 each.

It cost us $64 for my wife and I, with no dessert or alcohol which was crazy. I looked at the receipt and realized they charged us $25 for that fatty half rack! Now for service. At 3 Stacks you pick your own table and a waiter comes up and says he or she will be taking care of you. Our waiter was worthless. I ended up getting our refills both times we needed them. All they did was come pick up our plates. I would rate 3 Stacks at a 1.5 out of 5 stars.

On a side note, I posted a short post on their facebook page expressing my displeasure last night. Today they replied back and appologized and said their pitmaster wants to bring me back and give us another meal on the house. I've gotta give them props for just not deleting my post. I'll post back on this thread how it goes the 2nd time.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 am

glad I'm not the only one that had to saw through the ribs w/ a butter knife.

Charging for the bread kind of bugged me as well.

Another thing I forgot to mention. While the server was a sweet and helpful as she could be they need more training. She asked if I would like a beer and when I replied "What do you have that's local?" her answer was "Sierra Nevada". Luckily I recognized the Franconia tap from across the room.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Nice reviews guys. Getting to my Kenny's Smokehouse review (wife had me doing horse duty all weekend, but I like it). Quick shot preview: Kenny's was pretty good - was expecting same because his burger place in Frisco rocks. Plus you can get a bourbon milkshake there. What's not to love about that?
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Just another average commercial bbq joint.. :dont: ..using a big bar selection to pay the bills and the foods falls in behind as a filler.. :pig: ..nuthin new...thats why I dont eat commercial q... :flamer:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 am

BBQ posse appears to have had a different experience than we did.

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/?m=1#!
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Maybe they got their act together. I never heard back from them about having me back for another meal on the house. It's out of the way, but I'm just going to stick with Hutchins.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I hope to try Hutchins this weekend. From what all the guys on here say about it looks to be the real deal.

If not we are hill country bound in a few weeks so I can get my fix.
Raider18
Cowboy

Re: 3 Stacks Smoke and TapHouse, Frisco TX

Postby Raider18 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 am

You need to give them another shot. I have been 3 times now and it gets better each time. The ordering and waiter thing is still confusing and stupid in my opinion, but the meat is fantastic.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 am

Raider18 wrote:You need to give them another shot. I have been 3 times now and it gets better each time. The ordering and waiter thing is still confusing and stupid in my opinion, but the meat is fantastic.

Yea, I keep hearing good things about them. The problem is, I love Hutchins so much. I know they won't be on the same level and I'll be disapointed that I didn't just drive to McKinney. I did love that warm potatoe salad of theirs. Man was that good.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 am

:banghead: You will never get great BBQ in a Cat House (restaurant) and most BBQ Joints are barely palatable. They are getting 9.00 for a :puke: brisket samich. did it make you walk Bow legged with a limp when ya left? :P :laughing7:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:48 am

Sounds pricey. Last time I bought a full rack at Babb's I recall it costing $25. And they're tasty. But agree with the Dawg most commercial, with limited exceptions, is disappointing.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”