John Mueller, Austin TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

John Mueller, Austin TX

Postby eltex » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:52 pm

I was in Austin today, and rode by Franklins BBQ on the east side, just a around 10:45am. The line was already at the bottom of the hill and they still had 15 min to go before opening. With the line that long, it was probably going to be about a 2hr wait. So I left and headed west over to the new John Mullers. I finally got over just at 11am opening, with only one guy in line. I called the wife and asked if she wanted anything, and I got orders for 6 other people from her office. By the time I left, the bill came out to just over $90. BBQ has gotten expensive lately, with many places charging $13-15 for a pound of brisket. I miss the old days when I could get it at Crosstown for 8.99/lb.

I loaded up on some moist brisket, pork chops, pork ribs, chopped beef sandwich, prime rib and both squash and the coleslaw for sides. If you ever ate at John's on the east side, this food is almost exactly the same. The brisket was very tender, moist and flavorful. The exterior rub was heavily peppered, as that is a Mueller tradition. The ribs were very tasty, not quite as tender as i prefer, but were still very good. The prime rib was outstanding, as it was leaking red juices in my to-go bag. It had a nice pepper/salt rub, and was cooked about perfectly. I couldn't get to trying the chopped beef or pork chop. Maybe next time. The sauce was pretty much like his old spicy sauce he had at the old joint, with a good smoke and pepper flavor.

The cheese/squash casserole was as good as ever, and the chipotle coleslaw was a very tasty and a nice surprise. The place looked clean still, and he had a rather large crew helping in the trailer, while John was tending the pit and ferrying food back and forth. I think his meat cutter was a bit new on the job, but she was pleasant and seemed rather nice. They had another lady helping wrap and bag the food, and at the 2nd window was the register where you pay. The only negative was one of the cups of BBQ sauce had a lid split in the bag, and it dripped a lot and the soon-soggy bag was trashed. I moved it all over to a different bag and had a very good lunch.

Overall, if you need some good BBQ, this should be on your radar, and the line won't set you back nearly as far as Franklins. I think I prefer the meat from Franklins slightly more than Muellers, but overall, both are very good choices for a good lunch.
13erk0witz
Pilgrim

Re: John Mueller review from 10/28

Postby 13erk0witz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Better than city market?
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:03 am

Ok, I've had two more recent visits to John's, and I do think it is currently better than City Market and the Lockhart shops too. He is really getting it done right now. Both the brisket and beef ribs are just top notch, full of flavor, pepper and salt. As usual, I ordered the brisket to be 'moist', and it always delivers. The beef ribs are very large, with a lot of meat on each rib. It is extremely tender, often as tender as brisket at other joints. His pork ribs have changed lately, and it appears he is now misting/glazing them with a slightly sweet concoction. I don't consider them the best pork ribs in Texas, but they are well above average.

Though I typically avoid sauces, his is always tasty and provides the occasional dipping. I never seem to try his sausage, as I am always just focusing on the brisket and ribs. I only try two sides from him, the chipotle slaw and the baked cheesy squash, which both get a thumbs up from me. I'm not a huge fan of tater salad or beans, so I don't even order them.

The biggest downside of course, is the price. I still don't understand how brisket can cost $14-16 a pound, when it seems like it was yesterday where I was getting it at $7.99/lb. However, this is the price for dealing in Austin now.

I would still rank John slight behind Franklins BBQ, but it is just by a very slight margin. However, since Franklins takes a 2hr wait, I will probably continue to stick with Mueller for now.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks for the review, was in Taylor in July stopped by Louie and had a beef rib (my first there) and it was good. Will be heading down to Elgin soo for some land work that needs to be done at the Dancing Monkey ranch, so I will defineitly be going to Johns place based on your review.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

John Mueller Meat Company, Austin TX

Postby eltex » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Well, John is opening back up again, this time on east 6th street near Pedernales street. It has been a while since he got the axe from the old JMueller BBQ, so hopefully he has some rage built up and will unleash it on an unsuspecting new customer.

For those that love brisket and beef ribs, this man is typically one of the best in the world. He has never won awards for his smile or friendliness, but the man knows how to cook. I have no idea if he got some investors this time around, or is opening all on his own. Either way, I will be visiting sometime in the first week to check it out. I'm not sure I would want to try it on opening day due to typical hiccups and bugs at opening, but by next week, it should be okay. If you beat me there, give us an update, and I will return the favor our our trip. :salut:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: John Mueller Meat Company opening the 23rd

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks
jumbo
Pilgrim

John Mueller Meat Company opening the 23rd

Postby jumbo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm

He has backers but this is his show. Had a soft opening on the 16th that was a raging success. His event in Houston was also a rousing success. Cooking on five loaner pits, 600 lbs brisket, 350 lbs beef ribs, 100 lbs sausage, some boudin and pork belly, we sold out of everything in two hours. Grand opening should be a blast and I regret I can't attend it.

John is back and better than ever. But eltex knows that
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Here's a great article that explains alot including his relationship with aaron Franklin.

some spicy language in this(not much) so if a few cuss words will offend you I wouldn't open the link

[urlhttp://austin.culturemap.com/newsdetail/01-28-12-10-08-john-mueller-returns-texas-bbqs-prodigal-son-gets-a-second-chance/][/url]
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 am

Good read. Thanks for that link.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm

We hit up Stiles Switch again today, since JM postponed his opening. I'm telling you, I'm starting to like this place as good as any BBQ joint around. The brisket and beef ribs are just darn good every time, and that says something. Just having only a few people in line helps too. The brisket might not be 100% as good as Franklins, but it's close, and MUCH quicker. I got a beef rib plate today, and was served two very nice and tasty beef ribs along with two sides and a drink. For just over $15, it's a good deal and great food. I don't know if John will be offering up plates or just selling by the pound, but I'm hoping he offers the plates. It allows normal people to eat some tasty food without spending $30 each.

For a fun read, check out http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/fo ... q-convert/

I had to take a couple of days off the meat track. A detour really, which was necessary anyway because my girl friend, Mili, visited me. She is a vegan. Actually, she eats organic meat every three months but mostly eats tofu, tempeh and veggies. However, there was still one more barbecue place on my list: John Mueller’s barbecue trailer on S. First Street. I told Mili that Mueller is supposed to have some wonderful baked squash and persuaded her to go with me. Before I went, I decided to call John to ask him whether he might have time for a little interview.
I dialed.
“Yes”, said a deep angry voice at the other end of the line.
“Hello, Mr Mueller I am a reporter from Germany, I wondered if I could come to your trailer and eat some meat today”, I said.
“Yes”, the voice said.
“I wanted to come at noon”, I said, “Do you think I might ask you a couple of questions about barbeque.”
There was a daunting silence. Then the voice said: “If you try to talk to me at noon, I will probably stab you in the heart.”
I hung up.
I decided it might be safer to let some days pass and go there undercover. When we stood in line (just 10 minutes), a bulky looking man came up to me and said: “Comb your hair next time before you come here.” And he gave Mili and me a can of Lone Star. I think that was John Mueller. I do not wish to meet him any closer than that. I prefer to worship him without ever getting to know him because I do not want to risk getting to know his butcher’s knife. I will worship from a distance.
At this place, on a wood bench, God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost visited me in form of a pound of brisket. It was the Revelations of John, indeed. Eating the brisket felt like biting into the tree of life with a bark made of pepper and salt covering the softest, moistest, most savory piece of cow that ever touched my tongue. It took my breath away. I considered jumping into the pit because I knew in that very moment that never again would I feel this harmony and peace more clearly because I realized: Redemption does exist and it is served on butcher paper for $6.99 for half a pound in Austin, Texas.
Mili watched me closely. She ate some squash. Then she said: “Es riecht gut, darf ich mal probieren?” It smells good, may I try? She picked a chunk of brisket, an end piece, dripping in fat. She ate it. And that is when I knew that John Mueller is a prophet and his pit is his church. Mili ate his meat, a vegan ate his meat. John had made her a convert. I smiled. And I asked her: “So what do you think?” She did not open her mouth, she just kept on chewing.
I am going back to Germany this week. I was told that there is a device called a stove top smoker and I am considering taking one back home with me, although I know I will never be able to imitate the wonders John fulfills with his smoker. Even if I had a a real smoking pit, owning a pen does not make you Picasso.
Texas has changed my life. I realized that barbeque is not about filling ones stomach, but about enjoying ones life. I know now that Austin is weird and wonderful; I saw the Hill Country and I shot a gun; I had the first apple pie of my life and saw the most beautiful sunset. I learned not to mess with Texas.
I was allowed to share the table with you. You let me look into your pits although I came to you as a foreigner and had nothing to give. I was a granted a chance to see how much hard work and passion you all put into a piece of raw brisket to turn it into a smoked piece of happiness. I saw dedication, sacrifice, and glory. Even if customs confiscates the stove top smoker, I will take this spirit home with me. I will never forget. Thank you. I will miss you, Texas barbeque, my love.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Come back soon, safe trip home. :texas:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Louie Muellers Pit

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Caught on Fire . they have to rebuild.[urlhttp://austin.eater.com/archives/2013/02/25/54yearold-louie-mueller-barbecue-pit-destroyed-by-fire.php][/url]

http://austin.eater.com/archives/2013/0 ... y-fire.php
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Got over there today, and it was good. Not perfect, but very good. The wind was pretty heavy at opening time, and was very chilly. We got our brisket and beef ribs, and ate them quickly. For those that are disappointed in the consistency with some joints, this place is for you. You get a high quality BBQ every time, and plus you get to see John in action, doing what he does best. I don't know how crowded it got by 12, but at the 10:30 opening, I suspect we had about 12-15 peeps in line. We were there about 45 min total, and saw 1 girl. The rest were guys just getting their que fix for the day. Man up! :geek:
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Re: Louie Muellers Pit

Postby cowboydon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 pm

Hope the American Flag is out again soon - CBD needs his now monthly beef rib fix and only LM gets my 3 $10.00 bills !!
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:08 am

So confused. Website says 1502 First Street, I walk by LeBarbecue 3 times cause nothing says Mueller?? WTH??

Site suggest you call first for a to go order but they do not answer. Called me back at 2:20.

Oops, I was at the Sisters place.
----------------------------------------------

2500 E. 6th Street/ Pedernales is correct for John's place.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”