Fargo's Pit BBQ, Bryan TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Damon54
Cowboy

Fargos in Bryan Texas

Postby Damon54 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Has been forever since I have had cause to go towards College Station but when the
FCG BBQ hands out 6 Stars it may be time to make the drive.

You can cover an awful lot of ground on a Texas Hwy. In the amount of time it takes to go thru the line at the other 6 star option, which is Franklins in Austin.
Last edited by Damon54 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Re: Fargos in Bryan Texas

Postby FR8 Train » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Haven't heard of this place yet. Thanks for the heads up. I have been to Franklin's though....good stuff and very deserving of the stars....minus the wait of course.
"Sic 'em Bears"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Sounds great will have to try it my next trip in. Those of us older folks may recall Tom's in Bryan, a darn good joint until the owner passed and the family couldn't keep it up. Thanks for the heads up.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 am

Well, I will say Franklins deserves every star it gets, so I will have to give this place a try. It's about 1hr exactly between here and Snow's, so it could be a good time for a side by side eval...
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 pm

That would make for a nice outing.
Sooner or later we are going to have to face & discuss the I-35 line of BBQ demarcation.
The West side of 35 is getting it's tail kicked!
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm

Damon54 wrote:Sooner or later we are going to have to face & discuss the I-35 line of BBQ demarcation.
The West side of 35 is getting it's tail kicked!

Absolutely agree. In particular, 287 from Decatur to Amarillo has so much potential to be great, but the Q places I've tried along that route have been average.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
TSurgeon
Pilgrim

Postby TSurgeon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Damon54 wrote:Has been forever since I have had cause to go towards College Station but when the
FCG BBQ hands out 6 Stars it may be time to make the drive.

You can cover an awful lot of ground on a Texas Hwy. In the amount of time it takes to go thru the line at the other 6 star option, which is Franklins in Austin.

Tried it today, sad that I was running late so I didn't get there till 1:15. Lunch crowd gone & everything sitting under a heat lamp.

From what I am use to getting I must say the sausage is the best I have tasted in a long time

Brisket, a little on the dry side . When you got a bite with a little moisture it was most excellent.

Ribs, I thought they were good. I cant help but think the heat lamp may have dried them out a little.
My wifes only comment was yours are better

I have only eaten bbq in a couple of place down here, Rudy's & C&J BBQ..Fargos will be my place of choice now.
5 years ago C&J was about the best I have had, but something has changed & it ain't for the better
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm

TSurgeon,
Thanks for the update! Don't hesitate to ask & sample when you arrive off peak hours.
If you are paying full freight you are entitled to their best effort!
marvda1
Wrangler

Postby marvda1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:51 pm

i was at fargos 2/25/2012 they now only accept cash. i should have walked out when i asked for a small sample of the sausage and was told no. bought a sandwich and did not like it, a sample would have saved me. ribs were $10 per pound but when i got home there were only 3 or 4 large" moose bones" in the pound. another thing that bugged me was the chopped beef, they pre chop and add bbq sauce and it sits under the heat lamps. my daugther asked if they would fresh chop the brisket with sauce on the side and they said no. the taste was nothing out of the ordinary, typical weekend backyard bbq, i can do better. not to brag. even though there was a crowd there i would not go back again.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 am

That last review did not sound too encouraging!
cmack USER_AVATAR
cmack
Pilgrim

Fargo's Pit BBQ, Bryan TX

Postby cmack » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Hit Fargo's for lunch today. My wife & I arrived at 12:05 and ordered 1# fat brisket, 1/2# sausage and 3 ribs. Brisket was equal to any place I have ever eaten. Perfect black bark, heavy smoke, fat rendered nicely and the seasoning was spot on. As good or better than any of the places in Lockhart. I'm not a rib fan but to me they were the best I have ever eaten. My wife (a rib fan) disagreed. She prefers Florida's in Livingston Tx. or Smitty's in Lockhart. Sausage was a peppery commercial pork product that was ok, but not in the same class as Kreuz or Smitty's. After reading the reviews at Full Gospel BBQ and several other blogs I had very high hopes for Fargo's and I must say I was not disappointed one bit.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Fargo's Pit Bbq Bryan, Tx.

Postby Rambo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:02 pm

cmack USER_AVATAR
cmack
Pilgrim

Postby cmack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:40 am

Never been there. I'm in Huntsville 2 or 3 times a week too. I was planning on trying it but they have now gone to a commercial type gas fired smoker. Latest blog reports have shined a very unfavorable light on New Zion. I suppose I should have tried it in their heyday.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

It's no where near what it was years ago. It used to be the only good BBQ in Huntsville.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”