Franklins BBQ, Austin TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bockbock
Cowboy

Re: Went to Franklins

Postby Bockbock » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:44 pm

So where does one find pin oak wood around San Antonio? I have searched online, but haven't found anything. Anyone know where this precious wood is found? Looking forward to my 500 gallon pit to be finished. Firebox was built today. I will post some pics when it has some more detail. Thinking about going to Lockhart or Franklins this weekend. Man I'm hungry!

Bockbock
Bockbock
Dillo Q
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Good article on changes coming to Franklins:

http://eater.com/archives/2012/09/17/aa ... r-2012.php
jimstocks53
Pilgrim

Franklin's BBQ for myself

Postby jimstocks53 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:55 am

Spent three+ hours in the sun yesterday from 0750 to check it out myself and I was already the 9th in line. By opening at 1100 the line was 100 or more. People setting up tents, bringing coolers - iced water, cola, suds. It was a well-behaved party for Q. Usually there is a guy across the street who rents chairs for 5$ - he didn't make it yesterday. At 0900 a guy starts coming around to warn people to drink a lot of water. Later someone comes out to sell drinks to the liners. Around 0930 a little girl comes out and gets estimates on how much people will order. When she reaches a total equal to the day's production she warns people behind that point in line that they might not get food. Around 1030 you can drool over the few who pre-ordered walking out with packages. You have to order by email days in advance but Franklins limits pre-orders so as not to hurt the 'walk-up' trade - I had tried too late. I was surrounded by experienced local acolytes who were waiting three hours - not to pick up a large order for home - but to eat lunch! They blew a whole Saturday morning to stand in line to eat lunch! They convinced me to sit and eat some Q right there - 'while its HOT'. I did. Wow! The hype aint hype. The brisquet is the best I've eaten. Other meats I tried; sausage, pork ribs, a massive beef rib. Very good but the brisquet was worth the three hours baking in the sun. I have been slowly touring as able over the last 5 years doing the Texas Q tour. Bon Appetit and Texas Monthly got it right. Aaron has set the standard.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Franklin's BBQ for myself

Postby BluDawg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:53 am

Like going to heaven aint it. :D The man from Austin with no first name does it right. I make the pilgrimage about twice a year.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 am

agreed, it's stupid how good the food is there. the brisket is always finger licking good, and to me, the pork ribs are as well. some complain because they fall off the bone, but if you have ribs that taste better than everyone else, then having them tender isn't a negative at all.

i've never tried the beef ribs, as i think that is a weekend only thing. i would like to try it, but i am having a hard time justifying the wait times there. i gotta learn the requirements for a pre-order for walk up service.
bewarre USER_AVATAR
Bewarre
Pilgrim

Postby Bewarre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Love that place. Everytime I go I tel myself I cant believe I'm going to wait in this line for 3 hours.
But as soon as I get my first bite I get mad at myself that I dont do it more often.

Meeting all the people in line is also half the fun.
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Franklin's BBQ for myself

Postby atcNick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:25 pm

One of these days I'll have a free day and make the trip
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
big earl USER_AVATAR
Big Earl
Pilgrim

Re: Franklins BBQ, Austin TX

Postby Big Earl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm

:D going down to franklins sunday to pick up my pre order /3 lbs brisket 2 lbs pork ribs i hope it is as good as everyone says
big earl USER_AVATAR
Big Earl
Pilgrim

Postby Big Earl » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:18 pm

image.jpg
Well we went to franklins to pick up preordered brisket and ribs
Brisket was real good but me personally would not wait 2 1/2 hours in line for it .i have ate other people's brisket that was just as good in my opinion .
Ribs had good taste also just too over cooked for me. Falling off bone when you try to cut bone comes out in your hand . Anyone that hasn't tried franklins should , but I would highly recommend pre order
All staff there was very friendly and professional

image.jpg
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Postby NDN98 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Finally tried Franklin's back in June. Brisket and turkey were the best I have ever had. Ribs and sausage weren't bad either.
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 pm

the bosses are doing a pre-order for tomorrow at lunch. I do agree they cook the ribs to the point of them falling off the bone, but I actually like 'em like that. Growing up in VA and NC, meat just sliding off the bone is the way it was done. i will report back after tomorrow and let you know how it was.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:45 am

Oh man, I'm a sucker for brisket with a good crust :whiteflag:
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:40 pm

atcNick wrote:if I didn't have kids I would make the 5+ hour drive just to try it out.

But you won't drive 1/2 an hour to The Country Tavern?

Trust me, the result is better.
JDH
Pilgrim

Franklin's BBQ

Postby JDH » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Left Mckinney at 4 am pulled in to franklins at 7:45 and we were second in line.. By 8:30 line was in parking lot.. Met some nice folks and the wait was worth it.. I ordered a pound of brisket and two links of sausage. Wife had a rib plate with beans and slaw.. Brisket was far the best I have had at any joint. Moist, tender melt in your mouth brisket.. Sausage was great, ribs were tender, not over cooked. Pinto beans were spicy and tasty. Cole slaw is ok.. Aaron was friendly and the service and staff were great. Was not disappointed at all!
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm

I think I'm going to venture down there Tuesday and give it a shot. I'll come the long way home on 35 W so I can try Jambo's too.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”