Hutchins BBQ, McKinney TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Re: Hutchins BBQ, McKinney TX

Postby erbeman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Oh thank you little 10 pound 4 ounce baby Jesus! Three more days and I'll be the proud owner of one of these.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Raider18 wrote:Beef Ribs!!!!! So nice to have good BBQ that you don't have to wait in line for more
Than 10 minutes!!ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'm hungry now. Can you get those on the all you can eat?

Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Not sure but the beef rib plate was only $10 and I didn't finish it.

Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:11 pm

Oh and I think today was the first day. When I went to pay the cashier goes "you got that here?"

All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 pm

Wow, this is great to know! I'll admit that we went there several years ago and I'm regretful to report that it was somewhat underwhelming. After reading about the fantastic experiences as of late I'm stoked to try it again! I may do that this coming week, in fact. I'm on the opposite side of McKinney, but it's only a short drive away! And, for good BBQ, I've been known to drive to Austin...for lunch :laughing7:

Plus, I dig me some beef ribs!!!
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:15 pm

It's my understanding they have a goal to be a TM top 5 (currently 12 I think). I have only been eating there the last 6 months so I have nothing to compare it to what they served before. It's in the DFW top 3 for sure.

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Yup, I talk to the manager every time I go. They just started trying to raise the bar after they reopened after their fire which was 1.5 years ago. You will nor be disappointed now I promise.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm

What I am most impressed about with Hutchins is the quality of meat they turn out at a fair price. Don't get me wrong I love the meat market style places as well but there's just something about an old school bbq place that puts me in a happy place.

All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:42 pm

erbeman wrote:Yup, I talk to the manager every time I go. They just started trying to raise the bar after they reopened after their fire which was 1.5 years ago. You will nor be disappointed now I promise.

Man, I couldn't be more happy to hear this! I'm huge on supporting my local businesses because I'm one myself, and I'm really excited to go back! I may even try to go on Monday. Would love to go tomorrow, but church and family stuff will likely temper my lofty aspirations :laughing7:
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Alrighty, here's the recap!

I did indeed have an opportunity to go to Hutchins today. In fact, not only did I have the opportunity to go, but I was the first one there, waitin' for the door to open :mrgreen:

I got the AYCE plate, which really is a great deal if you're in the market for anything more than a sandwich, I think. I ended up with a couple of ribs, a few slices of brisket, and a dab of pulled pork. I also got a brisket-and-cream cheese stuffed jalapeno. I got three sides. Yes, what can I say, I like it rough apparently...lol. Hey, I figured if it was all included I'd get a little of everything and try as much as possible. I got small servings so I wouldn't leave a bunch, because there was no way in creation I was gonna eat all that.

Well...unfortunately, I came darn close...lol. It was leaps ahead of the offering I had last time I was in there. Everything had terrific flavor, all the meats had a great crust, and were flavorful. The quality of the meats themselves were better than they used to cook, so their meat program is a much-needed improvement. If they're getting their meat from Local Yocal I can understand why it's just generally a much better quality end product now. I was quite pleased, to say the least. Their brisket flat oozed juice when he cut it. The rib had great flavor and was rendered out well. The pulled pork wasn't so overworked that it was dry, as is often the case in barbecue joints, and it was seasoned well. I agree with someone else about the sides being somewhat average, but the reality is if the stars suck, the show will suck, no matter how diligent the stage hands are...lol. The meats were very enjoyable, and I was glad I went. As luck would have it, I was insanely curious about the chicken, and the girl who was coming around to check on the tables brought me just a leg, so that was perfect to pick just a couple of bites from. It was amazing. Great smoke flavor, succulent, juicy, and well seasoned. There wasn't much I'd change about it.

As a constructive criticism, and it's actually small in comparison to the overall experience, a bit more seasoning for the sides would make them shine. The brisket jalapenos had great flavor inside but the cream cheese and brisket needed just a bit of seasoning inside, because there was surprisingly little flavor on the inside. Normally, when wrapped in bacon and smoked, there is very little else needed. The trouble is that these jalapenos are HUGE (translation: this certainly isn't a bad thing! lol) So, there's quite a bit to flavor.

Anyway, in conclusion, I couldn't have asked for a better meal, local, in my home town so I could support a fellow small business, and I'll be going back again soon. In fact, I'm a local Farmers Insurance agent in McKinney, and for any of you local guys I may be able to help, I'll buy your lunch or dinner there in exchange for your kindness in giving me the opportunity to compete for your business.

Erbeman, thanks much for highlighting the place as a must-see! It was really a great experience, good service, people were nice, etc. My only complaint is that no one there knew what the heck a beef rib was...lol. So, apparently you know the secret handshake, or speakeasy knock to get some out of that special batch :wink:
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Outstanding! I love turning people on to Hutchins. I love it so much. I hear ya about the sides, but even if they were amazing, I would't eat much of them. I go for the meat. I always ask them to drop me an order of home fries when I'm paying and they bring them to me when they are ready. That and a roll or two and I'm set. Tomorrow is my daughters birthday and she wants to go to Hutchins for her birthday dinner, yup, I've raised her right!! So, I'll get the scoop on the beef rib for everyone and post what he tells me.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:52 pm

I will drop it in my to do list and report back. Haven't been since probably 10 years ago there was one in Frisco, which did not measure up. Based on the recommendations I will take another cut.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Ok, got to enjoy dinner at Hutchins tonight and talked to the owner for about 20 minutes. Here is what I got from that conversation: They have only done beef ribs twice just kinda learning their way. They are going to start doing them one day a week probably Saturdays for awhile, then switching to Thursdays probably. He has yet to decide on a price yet, but it will be by the pound and not by the rib. Like everyone else, they aren't really making money on them, so they won't be doing them daily. They will sell one day a week until they sell out. So, unfortunately I didn't get one today so I can't report back as to how good they are.

We talked for awhile about their briskets and this is what I found out: They smoke with Hickory and Mesquite together, then their last 4 hours, they finish them with Pecan. They are using angus grass fed briskets from Yocal Local and they are choice or better.

When they had the fire, they were shut down for three months and it wasn't looking like they were going to be able to open again. It was during that time that Tim decided if he was able to open back up, he was darn sure going to be the absolute best he could be and they have made great strides in that direction.

Go support this local BBQ joint. They are local, they have great prices, they offer a darn good product and they do it 7 days a week all day and you don't have to stand in a long line to get it. Also, they are about to build on to the restaurant to make a bunch of new room. They are building out forward almost to the street. This will allow them to host big parties of people, a problem that they have now with the limited amount of space they have.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Excellent! Thanks much for sharing your insight! I'm really glad that they're coming back strong, and I wish the owners the continued success in their venture. I like the fact that they're doing it 'right' and not just being a run-of-the-mill joint with nothing noteworthy going on. I'll certainly be heading back soon. I enjoyed my trek there, and I'm looking forward to eating there again, as luck would have it.

For those in the area, I was in the downtown square today and I noticed there were lots of new restaurants and other stores in the area. If ya haven't been down there in a while you might go take a stroll and see some of the new places. I also stopped in at Local Yocal to chat with them. I haven't been in there in a while, and they've certainly not only grown, but have changed their meat suppliers and their whole program, really. I got a couple of goodies to throw on the smoker this weekend :)
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Sorry you didn't get a beef rib, I guess I lucked out Saturday.

As for Local Yocal get some Citas Red Rage Salsa. It's pricey at $7 a jar but it's the best you can buy.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”