Pecan Lodge, Dallas TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

griffin USER_AVATAR
Griffin
Cowboy

Pecan Lodge @ Dallas Farmer's Market

Postby Griffin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 am

I just recently stumbled across this site called FullCustomGospel BBQ http://fullcustomgospelbbq.com/" target="_blank. Seems like this guy has eaten his fare share of Texas BBQ so maybe he knows what he is talking about. When he said this new place, Pecan Lodge, has the best brisket in Dallas I knew I had to go see what he was talking about. His review is here http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2010/08/pecan-lodge.html" target="_blank

So I told the wife earlier last week that Saturday was going to be a beautiful day, in the mid 70's and we should plan on doing something outside, maybe go down to Farmer's Market and get some good veggies since we're trying to eat a little better. (How's that for working my smooth angle?) As we walk into the Farmer's Market I could smell the mesquite burning away and knew that was a good sign. We walked around for a bit and got our veggies and then it was time to find that que.

I spotted the pit sitting outside Shed two and walked over that way. My wife asked what I was doing and i said I wanted to look at the pit and maybe talk to the man himself, Justin. Well Justin was very nice and talked que with me for awhile, showed me his pit and talked about only using mesquite wood. My mouth was drooling and I asked him what he recommended today. He said ribs and pulled a rack right off the smoker saying that these ones were just finishing up. Sweet. Fresh ribs, not some that had been sitting around for awhile.

It was about 1:30 when we placed our order and i really did want to try the brisket, but I guess you have to get there earlier as they had already sold out. The ribs were pretty good. Best I have had in a restaurant, but I could probably do better. They weren't trimmed up, I like mine trimmed, and I ended up getting the small end of the rack, but still tasty. The fried okra I ordered was great, nice crunch to it, but the wife was really disappointed in the mac and cheese. Justin came by a bit later and asked if we enjoyed it and we talked some more. I mentioned how we would have to come back because we really came for brisket and he told me he had just found some in the back of his smoker that he forgot about. So we were able to sample a few bites, and while it was not enough to form a real good opinion, it might just be the best in Dallas. It had a nice smoke ring, nice flavor and was moist and juicy. We will be going back later and we will make sure to make it early enough to get the brisket.
Damon54
Cowboy

Re: Pecan Lodge @ Dallas Farmer's Market

Postby Damon54 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:04 am

Like this place but 3 days a week is pretty darn restrictive.
Lunch from Thursday to Saturday only is current policy I believe.

Love the FCGBBQ!!
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Dropped in on consecutive days this week and had ribs and brisket. If there is brisket closer to the taste of Franklins than this in Dallas I would like to find it. It is not as good but there is no shame in that!
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:43 am

Gonna be heading down to Shed#2 this Thursday to get some knives sharpened and will by dropping by Pecan Lodge for an early lunch for sure.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 am

I went down to the Farmers Market this past Thursday and ate at the Pecan Lodge -
They make some very tasty brisket - Full Gospel users complained of the portion size versus
price and its true - Dont go hungry
I got there at 11:00 am and I believe I was the 1st client that day so the brisket /rib combo
had about 4 slices of brisket (but they werent big slices since they were the first several slices off the flat) and 2 ribs. The sauce that they have there is not worth mentioning (IMHO)
and the ribs are covered in that sauce, so while the rib meat was tasty it was lost in some overused sauce. The Brisket was good and did not need any sauce or anything else, and the mac and cheese was tasty - but there was an odd taste that I dont know what it was.
So for the whole deal several slices of brisket. 2 ribs and a spoon full of mac and cheese and a Dr. Pepper $12 and some change - Tasty but high dollar queue
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:46 am

Friend ask me to take him on this field trip yesterday. Loaded a cooler and went down and got some ribs & brisket. He was impressed, but I did not think much of the ribs this time around. Brisket was still very good, though I got a high portion of fat.
Had occasion to chat with Justin (owner?) and he gave us a tour of the portable pit he uses. He is from Abilene and this Smoker was custom made for him there. It is pretty cool in terms of construction and features a firebox that sits arrears, as opposed to an inline config, and a tad lower than the chamber. It is offset but in a front to back setup may explain this more clearly. Two large diameter pipes feed smoke into the cooking chamber.
Air comes into the pit off the bottom of the the Firebox and he has slides you access from the sides to control this. It is also unique in that the main chamber is not round but more like a rugby ball, or a canned ham if you will.

Wood is mesquite only and he does not at any times wrap his briskets. Really good guy, btw.
jimm1909
Pilgrim

Postby jimm1909 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Damon54 wrote:Dropped in on consecutive days this week and had ribs and brisket. If there is brisket closer to the taste of Franklins than this in Dallas I would like to find it. It is not as good but there is no shame in that! Lake Tahoe Hotels

I checked it out on consecutive days last week and couldn't agree with you more. Excellent.

-Jim
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Pecan Lodge in Dallas

Postby Boots » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 pm

So finally got the time to make it into Pecan Lodge today. In one word - impressive. In one phrase - the best in Dallas. Friends and I bellied up on brisket, wagyu brisket, ribs, burnt ends, fried chicken, okra, and the Mac. All the barbecue is better by a length of daylight to anything in the area. Briskets and the ribs were (and no exxageration) competition caliber. Ribs were juicy, finger pullin tender and heavily meated. The flat was very good, and the wagyu was REALLY good. The chicken was TV ad picture perfect and reported by my very chicken knowledgeable friend as possibly the best he ever had. Okra also picture perfect and solid crunch. The Mac was superbly creamy and sprinkled w bacon bits (waaaahhhaaawwww).

The only weak spot, and not a huge one, was that despite a great flavor, the burnt ends could have been left longer in the smoker and been more tenderized inside and a little crispier on outside. Great service, nice space w the added benefit of being to scrounge in the fresh produce stalls of the Farmers Market on the way out.

Verdict: Rockin', ROCKIN' good. Commercial barbecue which could at a minimum be competitive in a comp and maybe even place. Salute!!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Re: Pecan Lodge in Dallas

Postby cowboydon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Sounds like you liked that, it is def. a good queue - I stop in each time I get my knives sharpened. You should also step across the ile from Pecan Lodge and grab you a Mo' Butta cake for desert - the combo of que and cake make for a very good lunch.
CowboyDon
Check out my BBQ @
alltherealbbq
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 am

We saw it but after eating about 2 pounds of meat I had no more room! They looked real good though.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

I now have photos to post. The sandy is a combination chopped brisket, pulled pork, and sausage with cole slaw. MMMM
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:51 am

They have amazing fried chicken too.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:16 pm

I did 1lb Brisket & a second pound of wagyu last Friday.
Justin is on his game!
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Must have had the Guy Fieri show broadcast cause the place was Zoo today with a long line well past lunch.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 pm

In the few minutes he had to chat , Justin indicated it was time for a new pit. The one he uses was built custom for him on Abilene.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”