Pearl, Lone Star, Shiner, & Moonpies - Welcome Hex!

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Pearl, Lone Star, Shiner, & Moonpies - Welcome Hex!

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Hey Hex its good to see you around again! You're my kind of people.

Pearl use to be my favorite, until they started brewing it in Ft Worth at the Miller plant. Remember those old stubby bottles? thats what im talking about....good ol fashioned San Antone brew. Its never been the same since, and its gotten really hard to find sometimes.

Lone Star, has gone From San Antonio, to Longview, back to San Antonio, and is now brewed in Fort Worth with Pearl at the Miller plant. there were a few years, where it tasted kind of funky, but i think they've finally mastered it to what it used to be.

Shiner is a different ball game. good stuff, cool brewery, but its a little more sophisticated.....in other workds, it doesnt taste as good after pulling the starter out of your 59 Chevy Pickup as the others.

Moonpies what can i say. The originals are the best, and when they start getting a little stale and chewy, my favorite. I've got some in my cupboard right now as we speak aging to perfection!!

Pork Ribs - my favorite. Luling City Market the best (i had to say something about bbq, since this is a bbq joint board)
hex USER_AVATAR
Hex
Pilgrim

Postby Hex » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:47 am

Hey Tex,
actually as you prob figured I found this forum from your link over at your web site. So thanks.
So far so good around here, seems like a good bunch.
Altho I kinda get the idea this is more a DIY Q spot than a Joint-Q spot.

I like the que-joint chase better myself, course as they say if you want to do it right ...DIY.

As to your statements about Pearl & Star.. yes they are (sadly) now brewed at Miller in Ft.Worth. Lord I hope they sterilize the vats after makin that Millrat Lite crap. (Of course I know they do not).
BUT let all know that the Pearl and Lone Star is contract brewed. e.g. the owners of the brands just cut a deal for the brewing by Miller for now, Next go round could be contracted to Bud or Coors or Shiner brewery. Both Pearl and Lone Star are actually owned by Pabst Brewing. Pabst Blue Ribbon (another great beer) is also now contract brewed at various breweries around the country. Part of the contracts are the orders to adhere to the recipes of the different brands. Now whether that is actually done by Miller is anyones guess. Also the personal pride and care is undoubtedly not still there as in the San Antonio days. I drink it out of loyalty and nostalgia and respect for what it did for Texas and vice versa, and to make the statement that I'm never gonna line up like a sheep and follow the latest "innovator" nor fall for some asinine advertising scheme.

The truth is 90% of beer drinkers couldn't pick one from another in a blind taste test. Myself included. I know I've played that test game.
I have no idea if they still teach Texas History by law in our (ruined) schools but I know every real Texan ought to teach his offspring to stick with Texas products first and foremost. And as for Mexican beer well don't even get me started on that sewage.
Gonna have to wait for my Humble opines on Moon Pies, RC Cola, Root Beer,Peanut Patties, Peanut Logs, etc.

BTW good que will of course overide the fact that my hoped for items are not availible at a que joint. It's just that a real Texas Que joint ought to know better. Or so I think... :roll:

Keep those reviews rollin' in Tex.

Oh and My Gosh I NEVER thought I'd read that Shiner was considered sophisticated. Now that's a sea change of a thought. It has of course become a bit of a urban legend choice of the college crowd and now the wish we were still in college crowd. I remember when it was last in the hearts of Texans, but it shouldn't have been, It was always steady and had a following of mostly rural & small town and mainly Czech and German men, oddly the same guys who seemed to know the most about great Bar-B-Que

~~HeX~~
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:39 am

Hex wrote:
...][

The truth is 90% of beer drinkers couldn't pick one from another in a blind taste test. Myself included. I know I've played that test game.

[...]

I would be willing to bet ya that I could taste the difference between good ol Coors Lite and that nasty ol Buttwiper! :shock: :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:26 am

nascarchuck wrote:
Hex wrote:
...][

[...]

I would be willing to bet ya that I could taste the difference between good ol Coors Lite and that nasty ol Buttwiper! :shock: :lol:

I thought all Jr. fans drank Bud :shock: :lol:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:49 am

Hex you talk about RC and root beer and never mentioned Dr Pepper, are you really a Texan?????
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:21 pm

We tried the blind taste testing one time and the only fella who could pick out a particular beer was a guy with a bad ulcer and he could tell he was drinking Lone Star cuz it hurt his ulcer the worse.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:00 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:
Hex wrote:
...][

[...]

I thought all Jr. fans drank Bud :shock: :lol:

No... Not all do! And some even own Fords! :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”