LA BBQ, South Austin

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

LA BBQ, South Austin

Postby eltex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Me and coworker hit LA BBQ today on South First Street. We got there 5 min before opening(11am), and the line was about 25 people deep. It moved pretty quick, and we were seated around 11:30. I got some moist brisket and hot guts. My buddy got pulled pork and a brisket sandwich.

The brisket was better than the last time I went, which was probably ~8 months ago. It doesn't have a real chewy bark, but what it does have is a S&P infused outer layer that is very tasty. The flavor of the meat was outstanding, with a strong smoke taste, that was pure brisket. Last time it didn't seem to have enough smoke flavor, but that is not an issue now. The texture is the most interesting part. It is hard to describe. The meat is clearly a superior cut of beef, and has what looks like a good marbling throughout. When this cooks out, the meat almost has a velvety feel, in that it is super soft and falls apart at the least bit of resistance. However, it almost seems too smooth. I think a lot of people like this aspect of the meat, and I can understand why. I think it was almost too smooth for my preference, but it is still very good.

The sausage was pretty tasty, but didn't seem to stand out for me. It is hard for a sausage to really turn my head, and this one didn't. I tried my bud's pulled pork, and it had a very good flavor. I didn't try enough to get full details, but I think it would make an awesome pulled pork sandwich.

Oh yeah, they had to kegs of free beer, and some guy playing guitar off in the corner. I was on the clock, so no beer for me, but it's a nice thought for those that aren't driving.

If you can ignore the history of how this place came to exist in it's current incarnation, you will probably get some good BBQ, though it will be half full of hipsters, like the rest of Austin at this point. I don't like waiting 30 minutes just to get my food, but that is the reality in Austin now. Hard to get to a good restaurant without facing such a wait.
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Re: LA BBQ, South Austin

Postby NDN98 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:55 am

I have heard good things about it and plan on trying it my next trip to Austin. Curious at to how it will compare to Franklin BBQ, Freedmen's, Stiles Switch, and John Mueller Meat Co.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 am

I can't wait to try La as well. He used to cook for Franklin so, he def knows what he is doing. From what I've read about him, he's a pretty down to earth dude and willing to help other BBQ enthusiasts. Thanks for the report.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
guitarzantx USER_AVATAR
GuitarzanTX
Pilgrim

Postby GuitarzanTX » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:37 pm

NDN98 wrote:I have heard good things about it and plan on trying it my next trip to Austin. Curious at to how it will compare to Franklin BBQ, Freedmen's, Stiles Switch, and John Mueller Meat Co.

Stiles Switch is near my home, and I had great hopes for them. However, I have found them to be VERY inconsistent. Especially, sad to say, the brisket. They do have some interesting sausage recipes, but sausage alone won't draw me to a BBQ joint. I can buy great stuff at the farmer's market and smoke it myself.
Smoking:
Riley UDS

Grilling:
Charbroil Commercial Series 4-burner Propane with Rotisserie for those weeknight meals when food just needs to get on the table
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:02 am

GuitarzanTX wrote:
NDN98 wrote:I have heard good things about it and plan on trying it my next trip to Austin. Curious at to how it will compare to Franklin BBQ, Freedmen's, Stiles Switch, and John Mueller Meat Co.

Stiles Switch is near my home, and I had great hopes for them. However, I have found them to be VERY inconsistent. Especially, sad to say, the brisket. They do have some interesting sausage recipes, but sausage alone won't draw me to a BBQ joint. I can buy great stuff at the farmer's market and smoke it myself.

Sorry to hear about SS. Did you catch them at lunch or dinner. I've had lunch there a few times, right after 11am, and the brisket and beef ribs were outstanding. On the other hand, I've been to lots of bbq joints that have good lunches, and by the time dinner rolls around, their brisket is a sad display for a smokehouse. Most of the top BBQ joints around now are only open for lunch, as they run out of meat early.
guitarzantx USER_AVATAR
GuitarzanTX
Pilgrim

Postby GuitarzanTX » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:47 pm

eltex wrote:Sorry to hear about SS. Did you catch them at lunch or dinner. I've had lunch there a few times, right after 11am, and the brisket and beef ribs were outstanding. On the other hand, I've been to lots of bbq joints that have good lunches, and by the time dinner rolls around, their brisket is a sad display for a smokehouse. Most of the top BBQ joints around now are only open for lunch, as they run out of meat early.

I've only been there for lunch, same time frame as you. It hasn't always been bad, per se, just inconsistent. Better than average to well below average, if you know what I mean. Never great. I agree with your assessment of many places at dinner. One exception is City Market in Luling. I've picked up supper there when traveling through town, and it has always been excellent.
Smoking:
Riley UDS

Grilling:
Charbroil Commercial Series 4-burner Propane with Rotisserie for those weeknight meals when food just needs to get on the table

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”