Most overratted BBQ places in Texas

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

PvilleAngler
Pilgrim

Most overratted BBQ places in Texas

Postby PvilleAngler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:25 am

IMHO

1. Coopers BBQ Llano- Overpriced, trendy joint with weird sides orders. The meat isn't very good either.

2. The Saltlick Austin- Neat ambiance but chewy tough tasteless meat. And "All You Can Eat" for $19.95!!!

3. The County Line Austin- The brisket tastes like it was cooked in a gas oven.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Don't sound too humble to me! But that's OK this is one place we actually appreciate these opinions.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Well join the club. I aint never had any decent storebought bbq that I can recall. I have a theory if a commercial joint took the same pains to make as good bbq as does a competent amateur they would soon go broke. Works the same way with sausage I think. Aint never had any decent storebought sausage neither.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Most overrated BBQ place that I know of........ Colters!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:10 pm

nascarchuck wrote:Most overrated BBQ place that I know of........ Colters!

I agree but the one on 121 by the big mall in Frisco ain't bad i have eaten there a lot of times and it was always good not braggin' good but on par with Dickeys.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:40 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:Most overrated BBQ place that I know of........ Colters!

I agree but the one on 121 by the big mall in Frisco ain't bad i have eaten there a lot of times and it was always good not braggin' good but on par with Dickeys.

To me, that ain't sayin' much.

For me, and this is just my opinion, I'd have to add Angelo's in FW to the mix. Angelo's isn't bad, very consistent, but it seems to have an almost cult following. It's got cold beer and a good flavor, but some folks (like my FIL) won't consider anywhere else.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:00 pm

I say these things taking into consideration the environment and the audience. We are talkin' about Texas, DFW mostly and a bunch of enthusiasts
talk about a tough crowd, take these same Q joints to most other areas of the country and they'd be raved about.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:05 pm

While I agree with your points, I don't think they hold up in this context, because

a) we *are* a bunch of enthusiasts, and
b) we *are* talkin' about Texas.

Get a bunch of sleep folks together and ask us about the best equipment and we'll all bring up good and bad points about all of it. But to an outsider, it's all the same wires and squiggly lines.

Bring up food and it all depends on what region you're in.

The audience is an integral part of *any* conversation.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Most overratted BBQ places in Texas

Postby Gator » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:12 am

PvilleAngler wrote:IMHO

1. Coopers BBQ Llano- Overpriced, trendy joint with weird sides orders. The meat isn't very good either.

2. The Saltlick Austin- Neat ambiance but chewy tough tasteless meat. And "All You Can Eat" for $19.95!!!

3. The County Line Austin- The brisket tastes like it was cooked in a gas oven.

1. Coopers in Llano. Gotta disagree with you on this one - their brisket is the best around (to me). Overpriced, yes. Trendy, I dont get that? Weird sides, I had beans and bread. :bow: :D

2. & 3. I have heard it both ways here, never been.

Us "great BBQ" starved Dallas folks are holding out hope that the Saltlick will be good here.

For me the Sonny Bryans franchises are the biggest offenders of taking a great name and putting out crappy BBQ. Phooey. :flamer:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Most overratted BBQ places in Texas

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:25 am

Gator wrote:
PvilleAngler wrote:
Us "great BBQ" starved Dallas folks are holding out hope that the Saltlick will be good here.

For me the Sonny Bryans franchises are the biggest offenders of taking a great name and putting out crappy BBQ. Phooey. :flamer:

Boy I'll second that one.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:32 am

[quote="TX Sandman"]While I agree with your points, I don't think they hold up in this context, because

Get a bunch of sleep folks together and ask us about the best equipment and we'll all bring up good and bad points about all of it. But to an outsider, it's all the same wires and squiggly lines.

The audience is an integral part of *any* conversation.[/quote]

Exactly we ain't all from Texas on this forum! If our forum friends from elsewhere come to visit they maybe shouldn't come predisposed with a Texan BBQ nut jaded perspective....... I'd bet good money that they'd love Dickeys et al.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:42 am

Papa Tom wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:While I agree with your points, I don't think they hold up in this context, because

The audience is an integral part of *any* conversation.[/quote]

Exactly we ain't all from Texas on this forum! If our forum friends from elsewhere come to visit they maybe shouldn't come predisposed with a Texan BBQ nut jaded perspective....... I'd bet good money that they'd love Dickeys et al.

:dshock:

I guess you are right, most folks dont cook their own.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:45 pm

I have to agree with Gator on this, I love Cooper's brisket and pork chops. As for Salt Lick, they have great atmosphere, no doubt about that. The bbq ain't half bad either, I didn't think $20 for AYCE bbq is bad especially since I can drop $15.00 on q for lunch/dinner easily.

County Line, they can keep it. My wife likes it, but I'm not big on it. Beef ribs are good IMO though.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:38 am

DaHorns wrote:As for Salt Lick, they have great atmosphere, no doubt about that. The bbq ain't half bad either, I didn't think $20 for AYCE bbq is bad especially since I can drop $15.00 on q for lunch/dinner easily.

County Line, they can keep it. My wife likes it, but I'm not big on it. Beef ribs are good IMO though.

These are the only TXQ joints mentioned so far that I can comment on.
Salt Lick makes that wonderful brisket gravy for sloppin' onta biscuits. That stuff is absolutely a SUPER dish.
I've only eaten at the Lubbock CL, and that was back when Stubbs was still open (and alive) Doing Bee Fribs at all is a great thing.
Now for crap LubCoQ there's Binghams.My parents useta love it tho.<shrug>
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:22 am

Coopers in Llano can be inconsistent. Apparently, this hasnt alway been the case. Popularity seems to be affecting their product in last few years. 2 out of my last 3 visits have been bad. but when they're on, boy they're on. my last visit 4 months ago was incredible.

The Salt Lick in Austin (on 360) doesnt even compare with the original in Driftwood. The all you can eat plate is kind of pricey, you're better off just ordering by the pound.

No Comment on County Line, other than.....white tablecloths and waiters???

You really cant compare home cooked Q to restaurant Q, epsecially if you're a master smoker. Theres so much love and dedication (not to mention the case of beer and few games of pitchin washers while its cooking) that goes into perfecting that one slab of brisket or rack of ribs, nothing can compare once you get it. By the time that thing comes off the smoker, you're salivating so much, you're having to take off your boots before you go into the house they're so wet and nasty.

Its basically like trying to compare home grown tomatoes to store bought. You cant.

Now, you can get some REALLY good tomatoes from the store or farmers market though! thats what this forum is all about....talking about the store bought stuff.....and lucky for a lot of us, we have a bucket full of places right out in our own backyard to try. :lol:

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”