Made it out to Hutchins on Friday night

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Re: Made it out to Hutchins on Friday night

Postby TexasPyro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:Did y'all see that Texas Monthly article on BBQ joints? They visited 658 places, and listed the top 50. Hutchins came in 35, ~ the top 5%. Nice review for them!

I'm not so sure that many of the top spots aren't bought and paid for, or maybe I'm that picky. Last year I made an effort to visit the closer of the top 50 around here. I was thoroughly disappointed, one place we went to, we ended up taking a couple of bites and tossing the rest. Sad thing was, they were in the top 5. So I agree, being mentioned is great advertisement, but I'm fairly certain there are some "buddy deals" going on. After that I lost all respect for anything Texas Monthly and BBQ.
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 pm

It's one persons opinion, like this whole section is based on opinion. I've agreed and disagreed on a lot of the places on the list. I have been told he isn't paid and I know for a fact he recently rejected money from Arbys to say he liked their new brisket sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 pm

TexasPyro wrote:
Okie Sawbones wrote:Did y'all see that Texas Monthly article on BBQ joints? They visited 658 places, and listed the top 50. Hutchins came in 35, ~ the top 5%. Nice review for them!

I'm not so sure that many of the top spots aren't bought and paid for, or maybe I'm that picky. Last year I made an effort to visit the closer of the top 50 around here. I was thoroughly disappointed, one place we went to, we ended up taking a couple of bites and tossing the rest. Sad thing was, they were in the top 5. So I agree, being mentioned is great advertisement, but I'm fairly certain there are some "buddy deals" going on. After that I lost all respect for anything Texas Monthly and BBQ.

Can't say. I have a good friend in TX who has eaten at several of the Top 50, and just like Raider, he agrees with some and disagrees with some. I RARELY go out for Q -- I do better at home for my palate. I'd be hesitant to call the author dishonest unless I had some data to back it up. I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves a liar.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 pm

I saw a deal where Harry Soo and his girl came to Texas and did a crawl and scored the joints with KCBS rules and even though they hit the big names in Central Texas, there were a couple of places that they hit that arent normally listed, however I would be more prone to follow along if there was something in place like Harry did to find the best joints, because I know for a fact that what Danny Vaugn thinks is great, I generally disagree, but I keep given his likes a try cause someday I figure he may actually find a gem, hopefully. There would seem to be some sort of "Good Guys Discount" in place to make Dannys list, but thats just a feeling I get in my gut everytime I see one of Dannys lists IMHO.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:32 pm

cowboydon wrote:I saw a deal where Harry Soo and his girl came to Texas and did a crawl and scored the joints with KCBS rules and even though they hit the big names in Central Texas, there were a couple of places that they hit that arent normally listed, however I would be more prone to follow along if there was something in place like Harry did to find the best joints, because I know for a fact that what Danny Vaugn thinks is great, I generally disagree, but I keep given his likes a try cause someday I figure he may actually find a gem, hopefully. There would seem to be some sort of "Good Guys Discount" in place to make Dannys list, but thats just a feeling I get in my gut everytime I see one of Dannys lists IMHO.

This is not unlike wine reviewers. One reviewer, Robert Parker, tended to like big, bold, even oaky wines. These are not my style, so if he was foaming at the mouth over a wine, I knew to avoid it.

We all have our idea of what is good, so without a really good description of a food or wine, we have nothing to tell us if we will agree with a reviewer, unless we have tried their recommendations, and their palate agrees with ours.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
texaspyro USER_AVATAR
TexasPyro
Rustler

Postby TexasPyro » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Perhaps I worded it wrong, the top spots may not have been paid for, they were likely "influenced" in one way or the other. Remember, Danny has editors to answer to.

Okie mentions Robert Parker, he has been accused on more than one occasion to have been biased or influenced, all the wine reviewers have. I buy a lot of wine, when I'm searching for a new bottle Ill try to find as many reviews that I can from pros and amateurs and make an informed decision based on my research. In the BBQ world I try to stick to forums and personal reviews rather than "for profit" magazines and advertisements.

When I said that I may be picky, that's not saying that Ill throw a place under the bus for disagreeing with a certain cooks flavor profile. I enjoy a huge range of Que and wouldn't discredit a BBQ joint based on taste alone. The couple of places that were awful were bad due to food quality, nasty flavorless brisket, extremely tough ribs, crappy service, etc..

I agree completely with people having their own preferences and tastes, I have a buddy who wont step foot into Hutchins yet prefers one of the big chain BBQ restaurants. I try to talk some sense into him, hes not having it.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Loved my lunchtime Q visit.
Only 2 complaints: tad surprised they roll w a $2.00 Iced Tea charge.
Baco Bits at the potato bar?
Raider18
Cowboy

Made it out to Hutchins on Friday night

Postby Raider18 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Raise drink prices as most only pay attention to food prices. Eases the hit on rising food costs. That tea prolly only cost them a nickle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”