Headed to Austin

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Headed to Austin

Postby sparetimetoys » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 am

We are going down for the UT baseball super reginals Fri. and Sat. The game Fri. is at 3 and Sat at 1 any recomendations where to hit for good Q eithet going down or coming back to DFW? The games dont line up with most BBQ joint times so I need an all day type place. I do know there will be many stops at the Cheq stop in west. :salut:
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Re: Headed to Austin

Postby erbeman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 am

You def need to head to Taylor, Texas which is just about a 20 minute drive east of I35 by Round Rock and hit up Louis Mueller's!! Order the beef rib. You can thank me later :)

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 am

Stiles Switch. Really good BBQ. Some nice beers on tab. Cool patio with one of the best washer pitchin' set ups I've ever see .

Oh & their goal is to provide good BBQ w/o running out of meat. Been successful both times I was there.

http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:09 pm

x-games are in town this weekend. You may want to stay away from the downtown joints. Unless you want to get an early start.
"Sic 'em Bears"
Mr. Orange
Wrangler

Postby Mr. Orange » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Curly's Carolina Texas BBQ in historic Main Street in Round Rock. Just up I-35 from the Disch. Good BBQ, not much of a line, but they will end up selling out in the early afternoon.
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Postby NDN98 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:56 pm

I know Freedmen's is open in the evenings as well. Very good quality BBQ in my opinion. When I was down in Austin for a conference last year I ate at Freedmen's, Franklin, John Mueller Meat Co, and Stiles Switch. Freedmen's was the second best joint I ate at, slightly behind Franklin.

I go back there next week for a conference and I plan on hitting Freedmen's again, along with La Barbecue, Micklethwait Craft Meats, and Lamberts.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:18 am

The Full Cutom Gospel BBQ will expound on kolaches as well.
According to their ratings your headed to the 3rd best kolache in West!!

Micklewaite has changed their times & is close to Disch-Faulk. Big Fan of it & Stiles.
jammoney USER_AVATAR
jammoney
Wrangler

Postby jammoney » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:06 am

If you go to Franklin BBQ I hear you have to get in line around 8am. He's only open for lunch, but I hear he's one of the best around. Go Coogs!

I'm a huge Longhorn fan, but when they play my Coogs I need to pull for them. I don't get the opportunity often! :D
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:04 am

Was in Austin last week. Best BBQ was LA Barbecue hands down. The brisket, beef ribs, and sausage were excellent. Franklin's was second, the turkey is outstanding, the rest was good, but not special. Wasn't worth the three hour wait.
Mark Crigler
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:49 pm

erbeman wrote:You def need to head to Taylor, Texas which is just about a 20 minute drive east of I35 by Round Rock and hit up Louis Mueller's!! Order the beef rib. You can thank me later :)

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/

We hit this one today on the way home. Excellent tip :salut: the Q is great, we were just overheated from sitting in the sun at the ball game for 3 hours. If the place had air conditioning we could have eaten more of what we got but we just packed it up and brought it home. We got there at 5 and they only had brisket left I wanted to try the pork loin.

On Friday we left plano at 5 AM and got to Franklins about 8. I sat in line for about half an hour while everyone else headed off to explore Austin. They came out and gave the speech about no beer in the street keep it behind the curb and enjoy the line. The guy next to me went in and used the rest room and asked the first guy in line when he got there and was told 5AM. They came around taking orders and said I was at about 3 hours after the door opens. That wouldn't work for a 3 PM ball game. So the family came back and got me. We explored bought a bunch of junk we didn't need and found a BBQ joint called Green Mesquette. It was a lot like Rudy's for quality. No bark moist but no real smoke flavor. I would head the other direction on their street because there is Blacks BBQ about 4 Blocks away.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:30 pm

sparetimetoys wrote:
We explored bought a bunch of junk we didn't need and found a BBQ joint called Green Mesquette. It was a lot like Rudy's for quality. No bark moist but no real smoke flavor. I would head the other direction on their street because there is Blacks BBQ about 4 Blocks away.

I'm guessing you found the one on Barton Springs at Lamar. I haven't eaten there in about 10 years, but I will make it back some day. The Terry Blacks just down the road isn't open yet, but should be in a another week or two.

Austin is just rich in BBQ right now. No other town comes close to what we have. The downside is most of the places have significant wait times, and the cost for quality BBQ is running up to $30 per person. You can go get a darn good steak lunch at a lower cost than you can BBQ.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:55 pm

eltex wrote:
sparetimetoys wrote:
We explored bought a bunch of junk we didn't need and found a BBQ joint called Green Mesquette. It was a lot like Rudy's for quality. No bark moist but no real smoke flavor. I would head the other direction on their street because there is Blacks BBQ about 4 Blocks away.

I'm guessing you found the one on Barton Springs at Lamar. I haven't eaten there in about 10 years, but I will make it back some day. The Terry Blacks just down the road isn't open yet, but should be in a another week or two.

Austin is just rich in BBQ right now. No other town comes close to what we have. The downside is most of the places have significant wait times, and the cost for quality BBQ is running up to $30 per person. You can go get a darn good steak lunch at a lower cost than you can BBQ.

That sounds about right for street names. I know we crossed a bridge coming from down town on fifth street. It was a couple blocks after the bridge we turned right and they were just after the corner.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”